GD: Dimahoo item set effects

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
CloudyMusic

GD: Dimahoo item set effects

Post by CloudyMusic »

I was doing some casual research on Dimahoo recently for some reason, and I came across repeated mention of the supposed "buff effects" that are bestowed upon your ship whenever you complete an item set. Discussions on these forums seemed to settle on the fact that they were a myth, while most Japanese resources I came across seemed to talk about them as plain statements of fact, but with no specific details or proof, it was hard to accept. As far as I can tell, no official statement was ever made by the developers.

In an attempt to put things to rest, I decided to do a little experiment to see if there was any truth to it at all. All tests were performed with the "gmahou" romset in Shmupmame 4.2 and frame-counting the resulting gameplay recording. In all cases, at least 3 tests were performed for each data-point listed, and all observations were consistent within 0-1 frames. (In other words, I'm pretty damn sure all of these numbers are reliable.)

First off, here are the claimed effects that you will gain if you complete each specific item set:

R=Item&Effect R=Sword&Main shot damage up R=Shield&Hitbox size decreased R=Axe&Charge shot duration increased R=Armor&Hitbox size decreased R=Ring&Bomb damage up R=Helm&Hitbox size decreased R=Staff&Sub-shot damage up R=Accessory&Charge shot damage up R=Food&Charge meter fills more rapidly R=Shoes&Movement speed up R=Treasure&No effect

Since some of these are clearly harder to test than others, I decided to go for the easily-verifiable ones: the ones that can be easily measured visually, and for item sets that can be completed very early on. The most obvious candidates are shoes, food, and axes. I chose shoes to start with.

Shoes: movement speed up

I did measurements with a few different characters, both with no items at all, and with 8/8 shoes complete. The measurements below are how many frames it takes the character to move horizontally from one side of the screen to the other, with no obstacles.

R=Test&Frames R=Solo-Bang, no items&97 R=Solo-Bang, shoes complete&80 R=Grimlen, no items&109 R=Grimlen, shoes complete&88 R=Miyamoto, no items&54 R=Miyamoto, shoes complete&47

Clearly, there's a difference here. Interestingly, it doesn't seem to actually be the same for all characters (Miyamoto has a smaller percentage increase than the others, probably because he's fast enough as it is).

Axes: charge shot duration increased

Next, I decided to try axes, since that seemed like a more subtle effect that would be interesting to measure. The measurements below are how many frames it takes for a full level-8 charge attack to complete from beginning to end (first visible frame of animation to the last pixel emptying from the charge meter).

R=Test&Duration R=Solo-Bang, no items&200 R=Solo-Bang, axes complete&258

Again, seems like there's truth to this. Once I confirmed that the axe effect was true too, I didn't bother to test other characters with it, because frankly, I was convinced at that point. I haven't tested the other (reasonably testable) sets yet, but hopefully this is enough to indicate that it's pretty likely that all of them are true.

One small thing that I noticed that might have led to past confusion is that these effects do not take effect immediately upon completion of the set; the buff will take effect at the start of the next stage or the next time the player dies, whichever comes first.
egg_sanwich

Re: GD: Dimahoo item set effects

Post by egg_sanwich »

Really cool finding, Keres. This adds a good risk/reward element to the game when just playing for survival, as the increased rank is offset by attribute boosts. Thanks for sharing.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

wtf Raizing Image

Are there any partial effects for having part of a set complete, e.g. in-between movement speed for 7/8 shoes complete?
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

As far as I know, no.
ciox

Post by ciox »

This is really cool, too bad it took so long to figure out. The pause technique is underrated for finding/measuring stuff and should be used more often.
wasilewski

Post by wasilewski »

This game is really deep, so much to remember!
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Hey man, good detective work. I was really skeptical about these effects but good to see they're real after all.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Ako

Post by Ako »

Holy crap. Why did I blindly believe the people who told me this was a rumor? Then again I'm blindly believing cloudymusic here but I mean he's probably not lying.
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

I was just able to confirm the shoes for sure. Went in with a ram watch and found the addresses associated with ship speed and x/y position.

16-bit values
0xFF1030 - Vertical Position
0xFF1032 - Horizontal Position
0xFF1038 - Vertical Movement Speed (does not include bonus)
0xFF103C - Horizontal Movement Speed (does not include bonus)

Completing shoes with Golden adds 1 extra pixel of movement (roughly) every alternate frame, vertically and horizontally. As described, the effect is enabled on the stage AFTER the set is marked complete.

(To be sure, I also tested getting to stage 2 without shoes complete. The speed increase does not happen.)

I'll be damned, this is legit.
Last edited by Zerst on Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dimahoo is a fun game.
<trap15> C is for Bakraid
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Cool, thanks for the extra detective work!

I'd be interested to know if there's some way to figure out concrete details about the trickier ones, like the damage-up and hitbox effects.
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

Movement Speed Table (multiple numbers indicates oscillation pattern)

R=Ship&X-Speed_noShoes&Y-Speed_noShoes&X-Speed_shoes&Y-Speed_shoes R=Solo-Bang&2&2&2/3/3/3/3&3/4 R=Karte&3&3&3/4&4/4/5/4/5/4/4/5 R=Miyamoto&4&5&5/4/5/5/5&6 R=Grimlen&2&2&3/2/3/2/3/2/3/3/2&4/3/3/3/3 R=Gain&3&4&4/4/4/4/3&4/5/5/5 R=Chitta&3&3&4/3&5/4/4 R=Birthday&2&2&3/2&3/4/3/3/3 R=Golden&4&5&4/5&6/6/5/6/6/5/6/5
Dimahoo is a fun game.
<trap15> C is for Bakraid