ST: Battle Bakraid (15.09.10 - rank modifiers added)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
TLB

Re: ST: Battle Bakraid (11.11.05 - replay list updated)

Post by TLB »

Awesome! Granted, Bakraid's still in line after Ibara and Batrider for me, and I'll probably see if I can clear Garegga in there somewhere for kicks, but this is awesome info :) Thanks, Mr. Redwall Frog ^_-
bkk

Post by bkk »

Amazing, with this info I will try to clear stage 3.
croikle wrote:Big news! I just found the rank address
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Great workj croikle!
croikle wrote:Dropping extends doesn't seem to affect anything.

Medals:
100000: 0x20000 (!?)
I'm really surprised by both of these.
croikle wrote:Collecting full bomb: 0x10000
Where do full bomb icons exist in bakraid?
croikle wrote:Bombing (full or partial): 0x8000

Graze: 0x200. Kinda randomly every few frames. (2 on, 2 off?) Applies for each bullet, so graze a swarm during a bomb for more.
Both of these are rank decreases?
croikle

Post by croikle »

There's a full bomb in the turret of the largest battleship at the end of Naval. You may have to bomb to get in and kill it without dying, and you don't get it if you kill the battleship without specifically destroying the turret.

Bombing is a rank increase, grazing is a decrease. Sorry for not making that clear.
Icarus

Re: ST: Battle Bakraid (15.09.10 - rank modifiers added)

Post by Icarus »

Thanks to croikle for the rank system data, I've gone ahead and added it into the mini-ST, keep up the good hacking work on these lovely Raizing games.
I'm toying with the idea of expanding this into a full ST someday with some decent strategies, but for now, the mini-ST should suffice.
chempop

Post by chempop »

What makes the special options that lock onto enemies appear? I'm playing for survival and so close to clearing normal course but I think I need those to have a chance.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

chempop wrote:What makes the special options that lock onto enemies appear? I'm playing for survival and so close to clearing normal course but I think I need those to have a chance.
The searchy, fly-up-in-your-face type options? Drop exactly five bomb fragments, then pick up an Option item.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Thanks Icarus, I was going to call it quits until next weekend but after reading this I decided to give it a few more tries - and I cleared it! :D

Yay my first Raizing 1CC, haha normal course is so easy compared to other Yagawa games but now I feel like there is hope for me after all :mrgreen:

My score was under 3.5mil, maybe a world record for lowest all-clear lol
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

chempop wrote:Yay my first Raizing 1CC, haha normal course is so easy compared to other Yagawa games but now I feel like there is hope for me after all :mrgreen:
Try playing it for score. You'll soon find that it is Batrider's Normal Course that takes the award for easiest Yagawa game (especially if you play with Tag-T or Shorty). ^_-
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Icarus wrote:
chempop wrote:Yay my first Raizing 1CC, haha normal course is so easy compared to other Yagawa games but now I feel like there is hope for me after all :mrgreen:
Try playing it for score. You'll soon find that it is Batrider's Normal Course that takes the award for easiest Yagawa game (especially if you play with Tag-T or Shorty). ^_-
OR even better, try to 1cc Advanced. Now that's hard :lol:
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Recently I have been looking through Battle Bakraid for various things related to my upcoming STG. In my efforts I came across several tricks that I feel might benefit players here.

Here's a writeup of all my findings (and any more findings I might come across in the future): http://www.activcontrol.net/forum/viewt ... p?f=7&t=31

Hopefully someone will find this information somewhat useful. :)
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

I'm curious if anyone has advice on whether Shot or Side-Shot style is better for the Buster Lizard (I'm sparing with bombs as a rule, and Speed style is TOO fast with this plane). I'm leaning towards Side-Shot, on account of the Plasma Arrows' range (q.v. more likely to get distant/awkward-angle enemies without getting shot down), at the moment. Keep in mind this is for survival, not pure scoring...
jammiejay85

Post by jammiejay85 »

How do you get the extra characters in the game i only have sky dragon, sabre tiger, lightning wolf and hammer shark just wondering if i have a different version of bakraid or i need to unlock them with a code or something?
ebarrett

Post by ebarrett »

You want the "Unlimited Version", which enables all ships from the start and removes the sixty-something-million score cap.
jammiejay85

Post by jammiejay85 »

Thanks alot I was just using the normal Japan version before didn't know about the unlimited. I can get scoring with the Flame Viper ship now cheers.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Hey, I'm working on a translation of the Battle Bakraid instructions from this page: http://www.world-of-arcades.net/R8zing/ ... ctions.htm (the top two ones) to create a custom movestrip in English. The Japanese is already complete and can be gotten from here: http://www.emphatic.se/custom_artwork/b ... akraid.png

Preview:

Now, I have never put time into this game, nor do I read Japanese, so any help with telling me what the instructions say will be used for a "good cause".
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Nobody can help with this?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
ciox

Post by ciox »

Anyone know what picking the 'bomber power up' ship type actually does? I'm trying to figure out if it would help me with the clear.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Makes your bomb deal more damage.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
ciox

Post by ciox »

trap15 wrote:Makes your bomb deal more damage.
Thanks, I guess that might help, can't be that much extra damage since I honestly couldn't tell the difference but I'll try it for a while anyway
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I doubt it'll help much with the clear. There's a reason everone picks Flame Viper C :P
ciox

Post by ciox »

Yeah this feels pretty rubbish so far, I'll give it a few more tries but you really have to not die with bombs in stock.
Dying with bombs in stock is terrible in this game actually, you keep all the rank from the bomb fragments but never get to use those bombs.
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

fantastic writeup icarus (yea, i realize it's 9 years late)

ive dumped 10 hours in this game the last two days. ffs, i cannot seem to break 5m. :evil:
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

The guide needs to be massively rewritten though, with some new information and details on other chain routes. Soon.
Here's a recent run I did on stream in the meanwhile - Normal Course, 32.27mil ALL, Flame Viper (C): http://www.twitch.tv/icarusfw/c/3770736
I had practiced the full Naval and Desert chains, so can hit around 55 - 60mil+ if I nail everything, but that's a project to finish off for another time.
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

nice run. big help on this end.
Sir Arthur ahf

Post by Sir Arthur ahf »

Fucking impressive Icarus

Congrats!
captpain

Post by captpain »

Does anyone know what determines the boss order in Cloud?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I'm pretty sure it's random. On Normal you don't get 2 or 3 bosses, but on Advanced you fight them all, if I recall correctly.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

So I just realized, while trying to figure out how yk and Icarus were tossing bombs to the top of the screen (as used here to avoid destroying valuable targets with the bomb), that holding the bomb button lets the bomb travel further before detonating. This is useful both for positioning the bomb and for essentially extending the bomb duration for however long it's traveling up the screen.

...I hope I'm not the only one who didn't know that.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

So I just spent a bit of time looking at the rank counter using the MAME cheat provided by croikle, and I found some stuff that was pretty interesting but needs to be verified by someone who, unlike me, actually knows what they're doing.
  • As is already listed in the guide, per-frame rank starts at 3. However, pressing start at the test menu rather than A (like you would do in Batrider to lower the starting rank) actually adds 1 to the per-frame rank. In addition, choosing to use stage edit also adds 1 to the per-frame rank. Having extra unused credits in the machine does not affect per-frame rank, unlike Batrider.
  • Starting rank for the first credit is 0xD90000 as has been previously stated. However, if you choose Advanced Course or Boss Only, the starting rank for the next credit will be different. If you choose Advanced Course, the starting rank for the next credit becomes 0xBDE000. For Boss Only, it's 0xA2C000. For both Training and Normal it's still 0xD90000. This doesn't seem to be affected by attract sequence cycles or the rank/stage you reached on your previous credit.
  • Also, unlike in Garegga and Batrider the rank value can actually go higher than its starting value ("higher" referring to the value, where lower = harder).
Does any of this matter? Not really, per-frame rank doesn't mean much in this game since everything else affects rank so much more.

Also, something that does matter: Axebeak behaves slightly differently between Training, Normal and Advanced Course. If you pay attention when both the missile launchers and the back wing batteries open (when you should be dropping your first bomb), you'll notice that in Normal, they open at about the same time, while in Advanced, the wing battery opens noticeably later than the missile launchers. In Training, the wing battery actually opens before the missile launchers. Boss Only seems to be the same as Advanced. This is because the wing batteries fire fewer sets of bullets in Normal and Training (7 in Training, 9 in Normal, 11 in Advanced and Boss Only), so they don't take as long to fire and thus their second time firing comes earlier.

This isn't dependent on rank, I've already tried fixing the rank value, so I think this is just determined by the mode chosen (similar to how Batrider Normal Course has some differences compared to Advanced). Rank also affect the timing, though this is negligible unless you're starting another credit after a game in Advanced Course or Boss Only (thus changing the starting rank). Another difference is the number of bullets fired by the spread guns that fire after the missile launchers (2 bullets in Training, 3 in Normal, 4 in Advanced), but that pattern's easy to dodge regardless.

This has been screwing me up for a while now since in Advanced Course I've been using the opening of the missile launchers to time my first bomb, but in Normal Course that just causes me to bomb too late since the wing battery opens earlier relative to the missile launchers.

tl;dr: The mode you choose affects the Axebeak timing. Starting a new credit after playing Advanced Course or Boss Only changes starting rank enough to also affect the timing.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube