ST: Gothic wa Mahou Otome (Full English Guide)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
HarryKoakuma

ST: Gothic wa Mahou Otome (Full English Guide)

Post by HarryKoakuma »

Gothic wa Mahou Otome, otherwise known as Gomaotsu or Gothic Magic Maiden, is a free-to-play mobage shmup developed by CAVE and released in Japan. It is possible to play outside of Japan however, and the methods for acquiring the game are detailed in the Introduction of the guide. Our guide details every aspect of nearly every menu in the game, in English, with picture references. I hope that it's sufficient for new/interested players to be able to introduce themselves to the game easily, as well as help non-Japanese players of all sorts to clarify what ever menus or buttons may be a mystery to them due to not being able to read the text in the game. If you have any questions or need help with something, feel free to ask within this thread and I'll do my best to help you. You can also join the Gomaotsu Discord to discuss the game, characters, strategies, and whatever else.

Link to the English guide. (Updated 4/20/18)

Notice: This guide uses hyperlinks within itself, which is not supported by Google Drive's reader! Follow these steps if you want a better and more dynamic read:

For desktop: Download this guide and drag it to a new tab on your browser or use a standalone reader (suggestion: Adobe Reader). Firefox's reader and standalone readers will take you to the exact line that is hyperlinked, while Google Chrome's reader will only take you to the top of the page.

For mobile: Use a standalone reader (suggestion: Adobe Acrobat Reader).

---

Changelog (4/20/18)

Explanations for new screens
- New explanations for Quest Selection screen's Score Contest Tab and related screens
- Changes in the Familiar Filter screen explanation, among other minor screens

Revision of familiar upgrading
- The process of leveling and evolving familiars has been revised, and the guide explains it accordingly

New shot types
- Added "Death Scythe" to the list of shot types
Last edited by HarryKoakuma on Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 36 times in total.
AcePleiades

Re: ST: Gothic wa Mahou Otome (Full English Guide)

Post by AcePleiades »

I'm the editor of this guide, so if anyone has any complaints or suggestions you can also send them to me.
I'm not a native English speaker so grammar advice is very welcome.
Last edited by AcePleiades on Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AcePleiades

Post by AcePleiades »

(With the new guide update, this reply became a big waste of space, so I'm editing it out!)
Last edited by AcePleiades on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
HarryKoakuma

Post by HarryKoakuma »

Updated guide with a video tutorial link for creating a Japanese Apple account to download Mahou Otome outside of Japan on an iOS device.

Update: Thanks to the Mahou Otome Japanese community on Twitter, all the missing information was explained! However, guilds still can't be explained because guild battles are held at difficult times for the writers to participate.
AcePleiades

Post by AcePleiades »

First of all, thanks everyone for nearly 800 views on this thread.

Changelog for the 1/17 update:
- Added artist's name below the unnoficial illustrastion on the "Table of Contents" page and overall made this text more visible;
- Explained that reincarnations can be done more than once (until Rarity 6);
- Added "Cross Blade" to the shot types list (new shot type);
- Renamed some Skills on the Skills list to their name as they appear on the Sort screen;
- Fixed some typing errors.
tjg92

Post by tjg92 »

Wow that's a super nice guide. Maybe I'll actually get around to trying the game now :)
AcePleiades

Post by AcePleiades »

tjg92 wrote:Wow that's a super nice guide. Maybe I'll actually get around to trying the game now :)
Thank you! This means a lot to me.

January 24th Update:
- Added "Graviton" to the shot types list (new shot type).

THE GOOD NEWS: I was allowed to enter a guild even though I can only participate on weekends. I didn't like the idea of waking up early on weekends to do guild battles, but because of the recent engagements with the awesome Japanese Mahou Otome community on Twitter, I care even more about the game now than before!
This means that a guild guide will be written! Slowly, but surely!

THE GREAT NEWS: Helping me is none other than the leader of the No.1 S-rank guild of Mahou Otome! The guide will include advice from THE master!

EDIT: There will be a substantial update for Mahou Otome soon. It will alter guild screens, among other things, so the writing of the guild guide is on hold for now.
Last edited by AcePleiades on Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AcePleiades

Post by AcePleiades »

First of all, thanks for over 1000 views! A few days ago I was happy to know that the @shmups Twitter account wrote a tweet about this guide.
While writing the guild guide, I've made substantial overall adjustments, so I'm going to release this now.

Changelog for the February 1st update:
- Added and revised bits of information on many sections;
- Added "Multi Saber" to the shot types list (new shot type);
- Explained how to utilize hyperlinks within the document on mobile;
- Evened out inconsistent spacing between lines. Some small spacing was kept on pages crowded with information;
- Corrected typos and weird grammar.
kog3100_edw

Post by kog3100_edw »

So there is an update to the game but I can't figure out how to enable it. When you tap to start the game it brings up a dialog box and upon tapping THAT it shifts you to the App store. But I'm not eeing anywhere you apply the update. It only give sme the option to re-open my previous version 1.05. The app store clearly indicates a 1.06 is up.
HarryKoakuma

Post by HarryKoakuma »

kog3100_edw wrote:So there is an update to the game but I can't figure out how to enable it. When you tap to start the game it brings up a dialog box and upon tapping THAT it shifts you to the App store. But I'm not eeing anywhere you apply the update. It only give sme the option to re-open my previous version 1.05. The app store clearly indicates a 1.06 is up.
You have to download it via the third-party app store you used to download the game to begin with, I'd assume QooApp. If you visit the app's page in QooApp there should be an option to download the update.
kog3100_edw

Post by kog3100_edw »

Sorry, thought I specified. On iOS. The store is the literal japanese iTunes. The dialog box that comes up DOES does take the user to the Apple app store bit once there it looks like there is no button to download the update...which is typically handled in-app mostof the time.

Cave's FB page confirms in english that there has been an update. But I don't understand japanese to actually navigate the pricess. It doesn't appear to work like iOS updates usually do. The only action button in the store for Gothic wa Mahou Otome opens the one already on the device. And there isn't another new separate app either that I can find.
kog3100_edw

Post by kog3100_edw »

Ah. I found it. Never mind. :P
AcePleiades

Post by AcePleiades »

kog3100_edw wrote:Ah. I found it. Never mind. :P
Thanks for asking anyway! As the amount of replies increase, this thread appears first in Google search :lol:
By the way, the explanations of the new features are being written at this very moment, so please wait for that.
Here's a translation of the changelog: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/gomaot ... 1164108199
AcePleiades

Post by AcePleiades »

BIG update for the guide!
Not only ver1.6.0 features were explained, but more explanations were added to old stuff.
The guild guide isn't included yet, but I'll finish it soon enough!

Changelog:

New explanations:
- Ether Score Contest & Ability Tree
- Trophies
- New BOX gacha screen
- Charm system (except charm gacha, because it's part of the guild system that is still being worked on)

Introduction:
- Added a better demo video
- Game version which the guide applies to is now shown

Readability:
- The table of contents is now hyperlinked to sections of the guide
- Added a footer hyperlink that takes you back to the table of contents

Change of terminology:
- Send a flag to a friend -> cheer a friend
- Leaderboard -> ranking*
- (A familiar's) element -> attribute*
*The old terminology is synonymous, but the new sounds better

Added information not related to the ver1.6.0 update to the explanations of the following screens:
- Quest Select
- During Stages
- Friend list
- Menu - Options
- Rankings
- Familiar Screen - Equip Familiars
- Synthesis Screen - Item Synthesis
- Synthesis Screen - Skill Item Synthesis
- ...and more, to a smaller degree.

Other:
- Added and corrected hyperlinks
- Corrected typos and revised weird grammar (as always)
- Adjusted spacing between some elements
AcePleiades

Post by AcePleiades »

BIG update for the guide again! Moderate in size, but BIG in utility!
ver1.6.2 feature was explained. Yes, only one.

Changelog:

New explanations:
- New Premium Card benefits
- All event types + advice!

Added information not related to the ver1.6.2 update to the explanations of the following screens:
- During Stages
- Equip Familiars
(Further explained Love Links and Skill Awakening)
- Quest Selection
(Explained that support familiars on ether score contests can have a love link with a shot familiar that does not have the stage's determined shot type)

By the way, the current event is a Type 7!
And... the guild guide is still being worked on!
AcePleiades

Post by AcePleiades »

Necessary update due to the release of a new shot type. However, there are some considerable additions!

Changelog:

- Added "Baphomet" to the shot types list (new shot type)
- Changed and added character images (thanks to CAVE making an official character library: gomaotsu.jp/character)

Added to the explanations of:
- During Stages screen
- Boss Fight screen
- Event Types list

Other:
- Fixed Discord server link
- Corrected typos and revised weird grammar

By the way, the current event is a Type 5!
AcePleiades

Post by AcePleiades »

Minor update. After proofreading some old explanations, I felt like some small changes were needed.

Changelog:

Change of terminology:
- A familiar being compatible with another -> A familiar having a Love Link with another

Added small bits of information to the following explanations:
- Gacha Selection
- Gacha
- Dating Screen
- Routes
- Event Types

Other:
AcePleiades

Post by AcePleiades »

Important correction

The definition of a familiar's Power has been changed to:
"This value does not relate to the damage done to enemies by this familiar's shot. Each shot type deals their respective amount of damage, regardless of the familiar's Power. Instead, what is important about Power is that it determines the score that you will be getting from destroying enemies, with either the familiar's shot or with an offensive Skill."
AcePleiades

Post by AcePleiades »

Considerable update. The main content of this update is the explanations of the screens that appear upon starting the game for the first time. This part was obvious for me and my friends, but some people may get confused. For that reason, I really think I should have done this sooner!

Changelog:

New explanations:
- Getting Started (screens that appear when first launching the game + tutorial)
- Launch Screen

Added to the explanations of:
- Event Types list: changed the explanation of Election events to "The rules of the latest Election event (second anniversary event, held at the end of March, 2017) differ considerably from the rules of previous two, therefore, for explanations and advice, it is better to contact the writers of this guide."

Other:
- Added "X-plosion" to the shot types list (new shot type)
- The name of the Skill "Familiar Sphere Installment" has been changed to only "Sphere Installment", as in the game
- The name of some shot types have been slightly altered to sound more like their Japanese names, even if it makes little sense in English
- Nitpick: evened out the size of images throughout the guide

HarryKoakuma

Post by HarryKoakuma »

AcePleiades wrote:The main content of this update is the explanations of the screens that appear upon starting the game for the first time. This part was obvious for me and my friends, but some people may get confused. For that reason, I really think I should have done this sooner!
I actually wanted to include that part from the start, but I was never able to get screenshots of the startup screens at the time, so I wasn't able to include it in the original draft for the guide. I'm glad we've got it now.
AcePleiades

Post by AcePleiades »

Massive update! The guild system is explained! I hope more people get to enjoy these daily scoring competitions that I really grew to like.
I've also made other changes, but I forgot to keep a changelog. When I noticed, it was too late. At least I have a brief idea of what most changes were.

Changelog:

New explanations:
- The Guild System (30+ screens), except guild leader functions. I still need to wrap my head around that...

Added little bits of information to the explanations of:
- A few screens

Other:
- Added "Photon Ray" to the shot types list (new shot type)

The 1.7 update is almost here. I'm ready to write new explanations as soon as possible.
AcePleiades

Post by AcePleiades »

First of all, I'd like to say thanks for over 2000 thread views!
I forgot something important on the last update. The screens that are displayed when not in a guild weren't explained. So, now they are.
The page ended up with a lot of blank space, so I added an introduction to the guild system and a beautiful illustration of Rosa (included in the game).
Other than that, when testing, I noticed that a couple hyperlinks weren't working. I fixed all of them.
Next update: Game version 1.7 and guild leader functions will be explained.
AcePleiades

Post by AcePleiades »

Version 1.7 update is here. There are two game implementations which will happen in the future: a guild's Weekly Team Mission (because it starts on Monday) and LovemaGacha (because it starts in May 1st). These features will be explained later.

Changelog:

New explanations:
- Shot Test
- Mission Screen (renewal)
- Gacha Recommendation
- Guild Administrator Functions

Introduction:
- Added a better score demonstration video. Check it out!

Added information not related to the ver1.7 update to the explanations of the following screens:
- During Stages
- Event Types
- Ranking Rewards
- Active Point Milestones
- Reinforcement Synthesis
- Familiar Evolution
- ...and more, to a smaller degree.

Other:
- Revision of a few old explanations (mainly to create space for new ones)

For the next update:
Advice for Weekly Team Missions and LovemaGacha once they commence
Explanation of more miscellaneous screens
Shot Type Guide: Translate shot type details from the Shot Test Selection screen, add the famitsu shot type grade evaluations to the Shot Typle list, mark shot types that are easy to clear stages with
AcePleiades

Post by AcePleiades »

The LoveMaGacha came, and its explanation is here. I hope that the guide users didn't draw from it by mistake.
There were also other improvements to the guide.

Changelog:

New explanations:
- LoveMaGacha screen
- Gacha Draw and Gacha Results screens
...as there is a new "draw again" button that may be confusing for guide users.

Introduction:
- The guide's version is now displayed in numerals (for example, this version is the 11th)

Other:
- Redone the Rankings Selections screen explanation as it made no sense
- As a result of the Gacha Draw and Gacha Results screen being explained, other gacha related explanations were improved
- Added "X-plosion" to the shot types list (not a new shot type; I forgot to do it before)
- Correction: Drop acquisition method changed with the new game update, and the explanation is now correct
- Correction: Pressing the grade on the Class Rankings screen does not a allow you to see rankings of other scorer grades

The development of the future plans for the guide, as stated in the previous changelog, are being worked on.
AcePleiades

Post by AcePleiades »

There hasn't been a new game update, but the guide still has a long way to go doesn't it?!
This update is secondary in usefulness, but I really felt like some explanations needed a revision (mainly Ability Tree and Helper Select). I also noticed that the list of shot types wasn't ordered as in the game's Sort and Shot Test screens, so that's fixed now. I did a little more other than that too.

Changelog for the 11th and a half update:

Explained miscellaneous screens from the Menu:
- Player Information
- Familiar Collection
- Play Videos
- Publish Video

Improved the explanations of the following screens:
- Stages
- Helper Select
- Team Select
- Stage Clear 1 & 2
(...And added more hyperlinks to these and related screens, increasing readability)
- Ability Tree

Other:
- Reorganized the shot type list according to the game's Sort and Shot Test Selection screens
- Added "Dragon Dawn" to the shot type list (new shot type)
- On Additional Information, credited Mahou Otome's official familiar gallery site for the illustrations used on the guide
AcePleiades

Post by AcePleiades »

This is an update with little change. That is because I made a grave mistake a few weeks ago. I overwrote the main file with the backup file of the previous guide version. With this, I lost the progress of the latest update and felt a little unmotivated to rewrite it all, so it took quite a while to do it. In the process, I found some things worth fixing, too.

Changelog:

Introduction:
- Removed the warning stating that the user registration was not explained (when it was)

Other:
- Improved the Event Quests explanation
- Improved "Active Points Contest" of the Event Types explanation
- Further formatted buttons in Japanese when they were described on various explanations
- Added "Dragon Dawn" to the shot types list (new shot type)
- Added "DRI Drill" to the shot types list (new shot type)
- Credited more people

New future project: Guild Battle Advanced Guide
It is a table with links to videos of each day of the week's guild battle stages and a little commentary, so you can prepare yourself to them beforehand.
Other future projects:
Shot Type Guide, as explained on a past changelog.
AcePleiades

Post by AcePleiades »

Although this is mainly a fixes update, the fixes were important. The most important of them was reported by a guide user and that made me happy, but also disappointed in myself for making such a mistake.
As two beginners joined our text only discord server, I wanted to throw something out to help them, so I made a daily checklist for things to do in the game.

Changelog:

New explanations:
- Daily Checklist: a list of things you should do every day

Change of terminology:
- Sort Familiars screen -> Filter Familiar screen

Other:
- Almost completely redone the Event Quests screen explanation
- Changed the Sphere Installment's Japanese name on the list of skills according to the Filter Familiar screen
- Added numbers to page 45 as they were missing

There'll be a big game update on Monday (ver. 1.80), so I'll finish my other projects before it so I can focus entirely on updating the guide. Even after reading the change log, I'm not sure how long it'll take me to finish the explanations. It's on a weekday and there may be a delay because of that.
AcePleiades

Post by AcePleiades »

Great update. It doesn't only concern the version 1.80 features!

Explanations of new features:
- Home Screen (renewed)
- This Month's Score Contests
- Intimacy Increase
- Familiar Deposit
- Clearing House
- Loloi Premium Card Deals
- Support Item Deals

New explanations of old features:
- Main Story Sealed Path
- Shot/Support Familiar Selection (substituting Reinforcement Synthesis, while other familiar selection screens such as Reinforcement Synthesis itself received their own explanation as needed)

Added information not related to the version 1.80 update to the explanations of the following screens:
- Many familiar management screens
- Event types (more explanations of extra features)

Other:
- Revision of a few old explanations (nothing major, mainly to create space for new ones)
- Greatly corrected typos and revised weird grammar

Development of extra guide features, as described in previous change logs, continues.
AcePleiades

Post by AcePleiades »

12th and a half update. I was notified of a few minor errors within the guide, but I wanted to add something else before updating it. So, I gave the Skills a proper explanation and uploaded over 10 scoring reference videos from Lobi to YouTube and linked them in the guide, as Lobi is going out of business later this year. I didn't ask for permission, but I credited the owners and who gives a damn anyway.

Power up of the explanations:
List of Skills → List of Skills and Descriptions
(Includes in-depth Skill behavior analysis and reference videos)
Event Types
(More explanations of extra event features)
Daily Checklist
(One more item was added and the "Other" category was renamed into "Varied Progression")

Other:
- Fixed wrong counting in a few diagrams
- Added character images to occupy some empty sections

Many screenshots still have the old game version's header and footer. It's tedious work, but I think that's what I'm going to do next.
AcePleiades

Post by AcePleiades »

Let's go back to simpler numbers. This is the 12.2 version update, and it concerns almost exclusively the list of shot types.

Improvement of the explanations:
- List of Shot Types
The list now includes recommended shot types for beginners to attain S score evaluation on Death stages, recommended shot types for guild battles and scoring footage of the shot types used in score contests. These changes, along with the improved Skills list, make it possible to evaluate the usefulness of familiars in scoring, which is a good step toward expanding on the strategy guide aspect of this guide.
- Quest Selection
Improved sentences and linking to other sections.
- Event Quests
Improved sentences and linking to other sections.
- Guild Battle -- The Match
Improved advice.

As I did with the Skill reference videos, I want to upload the shot types' reference videos to YouTube as us foreigners are more used to it. In addition to that, Lobi is going out of business soon and Niconico requires an account.