RQ Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu 1.51, Stage 5 and need some advice

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
GeekMan1222

RQ Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu 1.51, Stage 5 and need some advice

Post by GeekMan1222 »

So I put almost 30 hours into Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu since it came out on steam, I always wanted to play it and I have played previous games from cave. When I started playing a few of the game modes I just gravitated to 1.51.

I been watching a youtube video of the WR run for 6Trillion in 1.51 B-Strong
I decided I really enjoy B-Strong.

Anyways, so after playing for a while my score jumps have been slowing down a bit. Today I got 151 Billion points but I still just can not make it past those darn spinning lasers in stage 5 later on. I did really decent at it the last run, more so than I usually do. The fact of the matter still remains is, its hard to pick or keep up with a route and juggle all the stuff the game starts throwing at you when your weaving through those things. I noticed you can build hyper pretty quick by spamming the lasers. I think my real flaw later on in this game is I just don't know where the Bee Tokens are all at later no. I suppose I will learn them the more I play those stages like early on.

If anyone wants to give me any pointers at all even not pertaining to this stage please let me know, I really enjoy this and I want to do better!!!

I got a video up here of me playing, there are a few older ones if you wanted to see my progress.

This is my first time asking for any advice on my game play!

Thank you :P

https://youtu.be/9hatUm2lHhY
CStarFlare

Re: RQ Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu 1.51, Stage 5 and need some ad

Post by CStarFlare »

I'm not an expert of DFK or 1.51 specifically, but you seem to be spamming your hypers as soon as you get them. If you plan ahead a bit, you might find you have more luck - either holding them until you get to a spot with a lot of bullets to cancel, or where you think you need it to survive. Spamming them raises the hyper rank which will make things harder for you (I think the stage 3 midboss - which you fought at max hyper rank - is a good example of something that's much much harder with high rank) and if 1.51 works similarly to the main game you're not getting as much score out of your chain value during hyper as you do while playing with a full hyper gauge.

Other another throwaway comment I'd make is start planning where you might want to manually use bombs. There's a couple boss sections where I saw you take 2 or 3 hits in rapid succession; this wastes bombs really fast and doesn't do you a lot of good. Manual bombs last a lot longer and do more damage. One manual bomb might save you one or two bombs which will extend your life. Might also be valuable during the stage 5 wheels. (I notice autobombs don't kill your chain; I'm assuming manual bombs don't either but don't have a way to double check. Even if they do, chain isn't worth that much on bosses)

For bees and general stage 5 strategies, watch the WR replay a few more times. You'll lean the bee locations quickly enough and might get a good sense of how the wheel dodges should look - that part will take some dedicated practice to get through unscathed but every hit you don't take there will help tremendously.

Hope some of that helps.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
GeekMan1222

Post by GeekMan1222 »

Thanks I been getting slightly better now im currently at 275 billion trying to break 300billion, but i noticed in the WR run if you spawn the danger lasers you can use your ships aura on them to stack up some ridiculous hit counts.
GeekMan1222

Post by GeekMan1222 »

So one other thing if anyone is intrested in explaining this to me. Somehow the WR runner has about a 20,000 hit on just the first level!! From what it appears to be, the player is using the Aura of his ship against the "danger" lasers that spawn.

Since the last time I posted, I have started to get past the Laser Wheels and my personal best score is up to 518billion.

I just wanted to figure out how this guy is getting those kinds of hit multiplier just on the first level. I mean it looks easy but its not. If anyone is willing to chip in suggestions on how hes getting this that would be amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD-j97VMDB0

Like try as I might I can not get that Hit up like that guy does.

Thank you for your time guys!
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Yes, that's what he's doing. The difference you might be experiencing might be tied to hyper rank, which causes the lasers to release more revenge bullets when they're killed (which in turn causes more lasers to spawn). He gets tons of lasers in the second half of the stage because of this, so he works it so a bunch of them spawn on one side then just counters the lasers. It's a little like what you'd see in the beginning of stage 3 where you can sit in between the two large laser turrets and rack up hits - DFK lasers are good source of hits, but it seems like you need to have a lot of small ones to justify building your route around countering them.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
GeekMan1222

Post by GeekMan1222 »

I think I get what your saying, and yes the more i have gotten familiar with the mechanics of the hit system and lasers the more it makes sense. I generally dont have a problem getting a crud ton of lasers to spawn and even clearing the ones on one side so only other side of the screen has lasers. With time I have gotten my self to get closer to them but try as I might and it may be based on timing and the series of events at which i get the lasers to spawn its always really dangerous for me to just cut through and get right up on the lasers with my ship aura. I have done it a few times but its not consistent yet. I suppose with more practice I will find the timings to run up and cash in hits from the monstrous amounts of danger lasers I can sometimes generate. Especially in later stages.

At the moment since I started I thought the primary way to build hits was canceling the revenge bullets and chaining those with enemy fire. Which works out pretty well but Ill just have to spend some more quality time with just trying to learn how to get closer to those lasers on each stage if I want to see some really big score improvements.

Is there any basics to how the lasers will generate hit from your aura. Like the way i figure it, more lasers means more hit happening at once. So in a sweet spot you want to spawn a ridiculous number of lasers clear and route a path, destroy the other lasers at one side then execute. With B strong it can be tricky sometimes clearing a path out I notice, because if you spend to much time canceling at a close range to the lasers you want to score off to stay alive you will spawn more and more revenge bullets and then it just kinda spirals from there. Plus I think that if you are on the right or left most side of the screen it will spawn lasers opposite to your side but I have not 100% confirmed that, It definitely does not seem random how the lasers spawn though.

Thank you again
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

How exactly does the bombing lasers for points thing work anyway?

I was trying to bomb stage 1 midboss and stage 1 boss's lasers for some points and didn't get anything of value. Of course, it's not like I was planning to play 1.51, just accidentally selected it and went why not?
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

maybe you need a high GP value
obviously in stage 1 your gp value is worth fuck all
GeekMan1222

Post by GeekMan1222 »

Yes stage 1 boss isn't worth the bombs and the midboss I mean in my opinion also is not worth the bombs, the WR actually builds hyper off the midboss.

So basically how to get big points bombing in this game is you want to rush the bosses and sections when there is a crud ton of lasers spawning/firing and get right up on top of where they are shooting from (hyper is your friend for this) and just repeatedly bomb, it will make your score counter go nuts.

Stage 3 is boss particularly hilarious because its possible (I haven't done it but i seen it) to break the multiplier beyond +999999*, you have to have your multiplier maxed before the bombing though to do this.

Also an interesting note is the WR doesn't bother beating the TFB, it doesn't seem to be worth it. You just wait out till the TFB spams all those lasers around its self (i think about half way) and just suicide run them, you can get a VERY sizable score if you can survive and bomb that section.

I got a score of 568 billion with about 80 hours logged. Its been pretty fun. (Playing Mushihimesama more lately though.)

Laser is your friend that is what you build hyper really quickly with.