RQ: DonPachi Type C Level 5 Final Chain Tips

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
bestcellar

RQ: DonPachi Type C Level 5 Final Chain Tips

Post by bestcellar »

Hello all,

Been getting closer and closer to a 2ALL on the Japanese version of this game. Hoping to 2ALL live in the next couple months at Galloping Ghost arcade on their cabinet there.

Last night, I set a PB of 19.7 million (2-4).

I'm somewhat regularly getting to the middle of level 2-4 (yeah, I know I may be stuck here for a while). Been playing a couple hours each day with a big emphasis on the level I'm stuck.

I'm 1ALL at between 13-15 million, and pretty well optimizing the first three levels regularly, usually getting 7.8-8.1 million when I hit almost everything I can. I can run the 1-4 boss no problem but usually have a stupid death somewhere in level on 1-4, so I don't often have a shot at the 800k capacity. On 1-5, I'm getting the first two chains and the big turret chain with some regularity, although it's very rare I have a chance to get all three.

That all being said, I have been combing the internet for a TYPE C method of chaining the last part of level 5. I've been trying to woodshed it and I just can't seem to figure the path out.

I've seen the 99million that went up last summer with TYPE A, but obviously that chain is going to look a bit different with a different ship.

Does anyone have or know of any resources to help me unlock any knowledge regarding that end chain?

Yes, I know the cult of DonPachi is typically sworn to secrecy and death.

Thanks in advance
Plasmo

Re: RQ: DonPachi Type C Level 5 Final Chain Tips

Post by Plasmo »

In case you don't know about it already, but the best replay for chaining with type C is (unfortunately) still this one: https://youtu.be/o_2F5FiaMLc

Basically gives you everything you need to know for 25 million during the first loop.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
bestcellar

Post by bestcellar »

Hi Plasmo,

I've studied your video quite a bit over the past several months (as have my two other GGA competitors in this chase, who are also getting to level 2-4).

Thanks so much for sharing! Really fantastic gameplay on your part.

During the part where you say you want to punch yourself in the face for dying :) I'm wondering if you could elaborate on what the appropriate way to continue the chain on those last two turrets after the two big purple drills.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Glad my replay is of any use to anyone. :)

When I was playing the game, the counterstop video was not released yet which is why I didn't even try to hunt down that 10 mill chain. If you find a way to get it with type C I'd be more than interested.

Good luck on getting that 2-ALL! Do you have any scoring goals in mind too?
I like chocolate milk

bestcellar

Post by bestcellar »

Definitely interested in scoring goals, long term. However, for now, I'm just interested in 2-ALL, especially because scoring is becoming less and less important to progress, but that said, I would like to eventually get 35-40 million. That would mean the 24-25 million on the first loop, and 10-15 million on the second loop. Seems like a very good 2-ALL, albeit nothing like the gods of the 70+ million territory. I just don't know how committed I am to scoring at this point. One of the guys I play with is also itching to get back to Mars Matrix and DoDonPachi, respectively, so we can finish those games.

The two other competitors in this competition are now getting to 2-4 with 17.9 million (the third place score was put up last night). Going to be an interesting race to the end, here. This weekend I'll be putting in long hours on 2-4 and hopefully 2-5.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Sounds really like an exciting competition! I envy you guys! :)

Why don't you post your new highscores in the highscore topic so that everybody can follow you guys easier? Would be quite cool.
I like chocolate milk

bestcellar

Post by bestcellar »

Will do! We also stream from the arcade and are planning a marathon session as we get closer to the 2-ALL.
Dr. SaGe

Post by Dr. SaGe »

I am one of the other two competitors in the GGA DonPachi chase, and I finally broke through last night (17.9M). It should have been higher! (of course) :D

Plasmo- I just wanted to say thank you for your video. I too have studied it quite a bit in the past couple months. It was/is a HUGE help.
The Armchair General

Post by The Armchair General »

Hello~~~!

I can't really help when it comes to chaining the end of stage 5 but I think I have some good advice for 2-4. The middle section of 2-4 can be safe spotted. You can see me do it here (I hope this is what you're referring to). If there are any other questions about second loop survival and chaining I might be able to answer them.

Good luck on the 2-ALL. I'm happy to see other people play this game seriously. I'm not alone after all ^_^