GD: Ikaruga

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Capintec

GD: Ikaruga

Post by Capintec »

Since the ikaruga.co.uk-knowledge seems lost, I thought I start a new topic to discuss difficult scoring maneuvers in Ikaruga.

Stage 1, Prologe:

After killing the first 24 Utatsugumi 36 Toratsugumi appear: 18 white ships to the left and 18 black ships to the right.

123 456

www bbb
www bbb
www bbb
www bbb
www bbb
www bbb

>>><<<

I tried two different approaches.

(1.)

Be black. Start shooting at the right black column (Nr. 6). Move to the left. This way you only kill 4 Toratsugumi in column Nr. 6 and Nr. 5. Stop moving left when you reach column Nr. 4. Then move up while shooting all Toratsugumi in column Nr. 4 down. Next move to the right and kill the remaining black Toratsugumi. Absorb the black bullets.
Switch to white. Move down. Release the lasers. Absorb the white bullets.

(2.)

Be black. Start shooting at the right black column (Nr. 6). Move up till u killed all six Toratsugumi in this column (Nr. 6). Release black. This kills the remaining 12 black Toratsugmui. Absorb the black bullets.
Switch to white. Move down. Release the lasers. Absorb the white bullets.

If you are fast 6 bonus Toratsugumi (3 and 3) appear.

I end up with 416.000 Points with strategy (1.) and 418.000 Points with strategy (2.). This is because the suicidebullets after releasing the black laser are easier to absorb.

But I find it difficult to trigger the second row of bonus Toratsugumi with strategy (2.). I do not know what exactly triggers their appearance.
Shepardus

Re: GD: Ikaruga

Post by Shepardus »

I'm pretty sure the bonus enemies, like every bonus enemy in the game I know of, is based purely on killing everything before them quickly. If you're not quick enough only one of the two possible bonus waves appears and if you're even slower then you don't get any bonus waves.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Capintec

Post by Capintec »

Probably.

But the first row of bonus enemy sometimes appears even if you don´t kill all 36 Toratsugumi, if I remember correct. My feeling is, that the condition for the bonus enemy is more precise.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

It's probably that you killed the first few waves quick enough, or a threshold percentage of them.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart