GD: Macross Plus Arcade

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
wataru330

GD: Macross Plus Arcade

Post by wataru330 »

I'll cross post some of the comments from the current n-g. c o m SOTM thread, as I realize not everyone that visits here, visits there.

Would love to hear tips, tidbits, anecdotes, and really anything from a FAQ to a review on this game would be helpful.

There is a real dearth of Macross Plus Arcade info on the web; not even a xenocide file. 0_o. Let's fix that!
Emuser

Re: GD: Macross Plus Arcade

Post by Emuser »

Uber necropost here, but I recently wondered the same and I'm sitting here puzzled at the absolute lack of information out there about this game. After trying out all of the ships (which I should've done much sooner instead of using the orange ship for almost a week):

The Orange VF-11 definitely feels like the weakest of the three selectable ships, all of her weapons feel just a tad bit too weak to effectively clean the screen of enemies at a pace which you will eventually find to be specifically irritating. She is also slower than the other two further compounding her issues for no good reason. I made the mistake of just sticking with a ship out of familiarity without trying the others, but you'll find out very quickly that this one is by far the weakest.

The White YF-19 is the expected well-rounder of the group, the standout feature being it's Gerwalk being capable of quite some nice damage, more than usual if you can mash the shot while close enough to an enemy to avoid the shot limit of allowed shots on screen at a time. This will probably be the best weapon this thing sticks with but in reality, everything I've said before this completely doesn't matter one bit. It's extremely apparent when playing both of the previous ships that things just don't die as fast as one would expect. But then...

The Blue YF-21 straight up wins. It has higher speed than the others and it's Gerwalk is long lasting with only one press. You can charge a full salvo of missiles during a single Gerwalk beam, so you can dish out way more DPS than any other ship/weapon combination in the game abusing Gerwalk. This thing is cracked af and it's not even a contest how much better this thing is compared to the other two ships. Its bomb is kind of weak, limited range, and temporary stops movement but given how it feels impossible to get anywhere with the other ships, it'll have to do.