RQ: Bombing in shmups

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
donluca

RQ: Bombing in shmups

Post by donluca »

Alright, I realized I needed some help.

I'm one of those gamers who've always been stingy with resources (think potions, elixirs and other stuff in RPGs) because "you may never know when it will come in handy".

This transitioned really badly in shmups for me as I've been playing several games like there were basically no bombs in the game and I'm having an absurdly hard time 1CC'ing them.

There are 4 recurring scenarios where I should have bombed but haven't:

1 - "I'm gonna make it through this wall of bullets" -> Dies at the first couple lines of the pattern.

2 - "What the hell hit me?" -> An enemy I ignored which shot his small, fast bullet right at me while I was looking elsewhere, probably having a hard time dodging other stuff.

3 - "I can't bomb at this point, it's too easy/early to bomb already" -> Gets stuck in the same point for days.

4 - "Oh my god, how am I gonna make through this?" -> Forgets about the damn bomb (gotta say that this scenario only happens once because that's the only instance of myself understanding I need to bomb at that point because I have no clue on how to get through it)

I have started playing shmups recently and I'm really liking them, but my inability to press the damn button in certain situations it's really getting me down as I'm stuck always in the same places, preventing me form 1CCing several games.

Right now I'm playing Mushi Novice Ultra (already 1CC'd Novice Maniac), Mushi Maniac (both mushi with Type-W), Batsugun Special (Type B) and I've recently credit fed DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu 1.5 (blue ship, Strong Style - I'm really liking it! Probably next game I'll dip into once I 1CC either Batsugun or Mushi Novice Ultra).

I'm really close getting 1CC in Mushi Novice Ultra (TLB is the only place where I bomb because I just have no idea how to get through some of the patterns) and Batsugun Special.

TL;DR: How can I get better at recognizing situations where I should bomb?
I realize this is really a n00b request, but I'm loving the genre and willing to get better at it.

Thanks! :)
STG

Re: RQ: Bombing in shmups

Post by STG »

I think that's a rather common issue most new players have with approaching any shooting game, including myself. ;)

When I'm playing a game I try to identify the spots I have the most trouble with and start making a list. For example, if there's one particular pattern a boss fires and I notice that I'm consistently dying on, or part of a stage that is just too overwhelming, I'll make a note to use a bomb there. Basically, strat-bombing. Sometimes I'll use a bomb immediately, or other times I'll dodge the first wave or two then use it. Eventually, and with more practice, I'll figure out the pattern and take that out of my line, then I could use that resource in another part of the game that gives me trouble. Wash, rinse, repeat.

There was an interview with a superplayer that I read on shmuplations that explained it like that, so it's a good starting off point in how to correctly use a bomb.

As for scenarios 2, 3, and 4, these are things all players grapple with. Losing focus or getting hit by a stray shot always sucks. But it's best to learn how to quickly identify when you're trapped and bomb without hesitation, especially if you are ad-libbing your way through the stage. That takes practice, and that's why most players will start forming a route through the stage, as you're creating a way to safely and (most importantly) consistently survive.

We all mess up and forget to use a bomb, it's easy to get stingy with it, especially if the scoring ties into not using a bomb. But recognizing key spots where to use it will certainly help you get further into the game!
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

Simple. If you ever feel like you're not in complete control of the current situation, bomb. Make an exception only if you have a real reason for it (you know you will need the bomb even more later, you consciously decide to risk it for score, etc.).
donluca

Post by donluca »

Thanks for the tips!

@STG do you have the link for that interview with the superplayer? I'd be really curious to read it.

@Erppo my problem is recognizing/getting a feel of when I'm not in complete control and bomb. As of now I almost always feel like I can make it (I'd say a mix of arrogance and ingenuity) and then realize it was too much when it's too late.

I gotta get gud! :D
STG

Post by STG »

donluca wrote:Thanks for the tips!

@STG do you have the link for that interview with the superplayer? I'd be really curious to read it.
No prob! It was a Mushihimesame Futari interview with SWY, it's not too far in:

http://shmuplations.com/scorer5/
donluca

Post by donluca »

That was a great read, thanks for sharing!
donluca

Post by donluca »

Yay, I've finally 1CC'd Batsugun Special!

First time I ended up without bombs too early, the second time went great to the point that I almost 1CC'd the second loop, LOL.

I'm starting to get the hang of this. :D