GD: Armed Police Batrider

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

So I guess the Arcadia articles NTSC-J posted are not any help? Not even hinting at milking opportunities? That is if you can actually read them.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Dave_K. wrote:So I guess the Arcadia articles NTSC-J posted are not any help? Not even hinting at milking opportunities? That is if you can actually read them.
I'm Japanese-illiterate. ;_;

There's not much I can tell from the articles that isn't already covered by the GD thread. As theorised, a perfect run of all Medals, all bosses would put you at around 20mil (a perfect Strawman ALL would see you to a C - D score at the most). Which is why I'm very curious as to where LAOS is pulling this extra 9 to 10mil from. If it isn't some kind of boss milking trick a-la Earth Crisis / Midi then there has to be some secret stashes of Medals somewhere.

But even a couple of Medal stashes wouldn't see you to an extra 10mil...
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

Doesn't using savestates to start at a lower ranks means that your high scores would be reset each time? Unless the high scores are saved independantly of the states.
Shmups: It's all about blowing stuff up!
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Icarus wrote:
Dave_K. wrote:So I guess the Arcadia articles NTSC-J posted are not any help? Not even hinting at milking opportunities? That is if you can actually read them.
I'm Japanese-illiterate. ;_;

There's not much I can tell from the articles that isn't already covered by the GD thread. As theorised, a perfect run of all Medals, all bosses would put you at around 20mil (a perfect Strawman ALL would see you to a C - D score at the most). Which is why I'm very curious as to where LAOS is pulling this extra 9 to 10mil from. If it isn't some kind of boss milking trick a-la Earth Crisis / Midi then there has to be some secret stashes of Medals somewhere.

But even a couple of Medal stashes wouldn't see you to an extra 10mil...
I wouldn't be surprised if LAOS jacks rank up just enough to have a lot of enemies spawn at particular bosses, yet still be killable to milk medals off of and then proceeds to milk the bosses for forever.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Twiddle wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if LAOS jacks rank up just enough to have a lot of enemies spawn at particular bosses, yet still be killable to milk medals off of and then proceeds to milk the bosses for forever.
Yeah, wouldn't surprise me too. Max rank is a pain in the arse in this game, so rank bumping just for score would be something to see. I doubt that is the case though, as unlike Ibara, Batrider doesn't seem to have nearly as many extends in the early portion of the game to allow that.

Speaking of which, you wouldn't have happened across anything regarding the rank system on your travels? I have theories I'm testing at the moment, but the system itself seems to be dependent on quite a few factors.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Haven't bothered with Batrider enough to know much about it, sadly. If it gets voted in I'll probably take a crack at it.
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Ahh, no problem. Thanks anyway. ^_^
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Edited from the recent High Score thread:
You can watch Batrider's rank value by inserting this in a new line in your cheat.dat file:
:batrider:00200026:20F9D1:00000000:FFFFFFFF:Watch Game Rank (Dec)

-Partial Rank Modifier Approximation List-

Please note that these values are for Advanced Course and may be different in Normal Course. However, rank control in Normal Course isn't very important, as the game doesn't last nearly as long as to make it difficult later on.

Also, rank by shooting and survival time is very minor--the survival time rank starts at 4 per frame and "firing blanks" does not increase rank at all, which means you can safely jack the fire rate up to 60. Also, shooting doesn't do much to the rank either.

Rank Reduction methods:
Grazing: I'm inclined to say reduces 128 rank per bullet per frame but I can't make MAME move on frame by frame. I wouldn't do it myself -- the grazing hitbox is only very slightly bigger than the actual player hitbox.
Dying at 3 stock - ~262144 rank reduction
Dying at 2 stock - ~1048576 rank reduction
Dying at 1 stock - ~4194304 rank reduction and a game over

Dropping extends, and dropping 10k medals does absolutely nothing.

Rank modifiers by collecting extends:
Collecting extend at stock 1 - ~560000 rank increase
Collecting extend at stock 2 - ~1100000 rank increase
Collecting extend at stock 3 - ~2200000 rank increase
Collecting Special Extend - ~1100000 rank increase
The ideal strategy here seems to be to stay at stock 2 and suicide before your next extend marker. I wouldn't advise missing a marker unless you're at stock 3, in which case it can only hurt you, rank-wise and supply-wise (you can get a net increase of ~800k rank points if you pick one up at stock 2, but you'll have 1.5 more bombs after you suicide)
unban shw
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Okay, I'm having a lot of trouble triggering the extra two bosses. I'm not sure whether I need to miss exactly X option and shot icons or just miss at least that many to get the special power ups.
unban shw
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Drop three Shot to get Shot Special (small and large Shot items are counted independently, so you need to drop three small OR three Large and pick up the respective size afterwards), drop three Option and pick up the next to get Option Special.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Exactly 3 or at least 3? That's what's getting me.
unban shw
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Twiddle wrote:Exactly 3 or at least 3? That's what's getting me.
Exactly three. If you miss more, the count resets itself.
Rob

Post by Rob »

So you can get an extra life on highway from... the first major enemy? After it disappears and reappears at the edge?
Icarus wrote: The rain of missiles before Boredom (Sky High's boss) are best attacked with a wide bomb, as you can get about 200k from one bomb.
Is this a typo? I haven't seen nearly this much of an increase on the few attempts.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Rob wrote:So you can get an extra life on highway from... the first major enemy? After it disappears and reappears at the edge?
The big blue hovercraft? You have to wait until it stops at the end of the tunnel, then destroy it for the Extend. Make sure you've destroyed the side parts first, a-la Garegga.
Rob wrote:Is this a typo? I haven't seen nearly this much of an increase on the few attempts.
Nope, no typo. Each missile is worth about 1,000pts, whacking the entire salvo with a wide bomb comes up to about 180-200k. I don't recommend wasting a bomb though, as you can get far more from a couple of Medal caches in other levels.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Since it's just three, it's extremely easy to qualify for all three stage 5 bosses if you just skip 3 option powerups and skip all 3 big shot powerups collect the fourth small shot powerup in stage 1.
Icarus wrote:Nope, no typo. Each missile is worth about 1,000pts, whacking the entire salvo with a wide bomb comes up to about 180-200k. I don't recommend wasting a bomb though, as you can get far more from a couple of Medal caches in other levels.
@Rob: You can get in between two missiles with an aura ready. Positioned right, you'll destroy both of the incoming missiles on your side each time they pass over and get 10k/sec from the missile wave, which lasts 5 or 6 seconds.
unban shw
Rob

Post by Rob »

So you have to pick up a shot/option special item to trigger the extra highway bosses? I need to know how to make that not happen.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Rob wrote:So you have to pick up a shot/option special item to trigger the extra highway bosses? I need to know how to make that not happen.
Pick up every 2 or 3 shot and option items. Your rank will go up, but the chance of those bosses showing up will go down!

You also can't pick up "special" powerups if you're already at max power but after you're die you might still pick up a special so it's best to err on the side of danger^H^H^H^H^H^Hsafety.
unban shw
Rob

Post by Rob »

I've been picking up every item I can. I fail. :o

I still am not getting a few of these bigger point values Icarus noted. Also the "100-300k" bombing point mid-sewer. That's quite the variation - what accounts for that 200k difference? I was only seeing 50k-100k in about 5 tries. It seems like a very uncomplicated process: hit bomb (full bomb w/ Strawman), destroy enemies = points. But it's not working.

Finally hit 1 million on stage 1. Not sure how exactly.

One more thing: what is it about the scenery medals? Sometimes a pair in the middle of a vertical line will be of higher value?
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Rob wrote:I still am not getting a few of these bigger point values Icarus noted. Also the "100-300k" bombing point mid-sewer. That's quite the variation - what accounts for that 200k difference? I was only seeing 50k-100k in about 5 tries. It seems like a very uncomplicated process: hit bomb (full bomb w/ Strawman), destroy enemies = points. But it's not working.
The parked enemy ships boxed in green yield 3k each when bombed or ticked (39k), while the two trucks yield 10k (for a total of 59k). Add the four medals from the box on the top and you have 99k from the top half of that area.

Not shown (below the first scenery bomb point) are the five laser cannons. <strike>I'm not sure how to make them all cough up 4 medals each as opposed to one.</strike> You can make them cough up 4 medals each if you bomb them while they are half-closed.
One more thing: what is it about the scenery medals? Sometimes a pair in the middle of a vertical line will be of higher value?
If you're collecting scenery medals as they appear, sometimes they might move on to the next medal value. Carpet can take advantage of this.

I'm thinking of tickling all but one or two of the cars for 3k each on the last part of stage 1 after auraing the mailboxes to maximize my stage 1 score. They're only worth a score medal each, by which point aren't worth more than 700 (or 2k with Carpet).
unban shw
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

@Twiddle:
Might want to note that next to those two trucks in the Sewer are three or four hatch tanks that are worth 20,000pts when bombed. Best thing to do is to try and Aura your way through all the flying copters and parked ships, and when the Medal box comes into view on the left, bombfrag everything on screen including the tanks on the right for about 150k.

As for leaving a couple of cars before Conflict appears, thats usually a good idea if you can set up for it. I usually bomb the cars out of the way before Aura'ing the boxes, so I never have enough of a chance to get a free Medal.

@Rob:
Score variation is common in Raizing as everytthing has a value attached to it depending on what you used to destroy it. Its never as easy as "press bomb button, receive points", you have to actively work for those points, and know what you need to do to get the maximum amount. Sometimes you use Shot, sometimes Bomb/Aura. You can often find a lot of variation depending on how mch stuff you leave on screen during a bombing section, and so on.

Grats on hitting 1mil on stage1. A good average is about 1.1mil once you know what to do, my best is about 1.2mil.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Carpet's weaponry allows for some Gain-style no-damage milking, but a few of the bosses have some really nasty timeout patterns.
unban shw
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

Just when I started to lose interest in this game, this strat here is really taking off. Wow, so much new stuff here, I am back again. Just at the right moment for the competition. I only wish I had more time for practicing... 8)
THE BULLETS ARE NOW DIAMONDS!
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Advanced Course, Stage 1, 1.25mil replay using Strawman (A) up on the 'Tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du3yWyLSOWo
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Icarus wrote:Advanced Course, Stage 1, 1.25mil replay using Strawman (A) up on the 'Tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du3yWyLSOWo
That was a thing of beauty!
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

There are other hidden bosses than Bashinet? i've beat bashinet on one life it was hard! I know there is gob-robo but there are other hidden bosses?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Advanced Course Demonstrations are up on the 'Tube. Kinda blurry though. -_-;;
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 185036D1DE
(stage7 uploading right now.)
Kaiser wrote:There are other hidden bosses than Bashinet? i've beat bashinet on one life it was hard! I know there is gob-robo but there are other hidden bosses?
All you need to know if documented here:
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=71
There are 11 extra bosses in total.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Thanks but still i can't get past stage 3 or 4 :( on normal course
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

I'm grateful for the boss extends in the Korean revision, but I can't ND milk any of the bosses worth a shit with Carpet there :lol:
unban shw
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Wow just wow i watched level 7 demonstration by icarus and i think that advanced course is for masters only :p damn it still i have problems with boredom on normal :P
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Yeah i found some fast tactic on boredom using carpet!
Reserve 1 Bomb to boredom boss then when fight begins use it on those helicopters and you don't have to evade spreads anymore in fight :)