GD: Armed Police Batrider

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Rob

Post by Rob »

I saw mention of a bomb special item, so how to get that? Do you have to skip full bomb icons?
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

You have to skip 3 full bomb icons (collecting one in between will start the skipped bomb counter over), then the next item that comes up from popcorns will be an extend.

Not worth it for scoring or survival if you choose to skip the 3 before stage 7, in my opinion.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
sven666

Post by sven666 »

Twiddle wrote:You have to skip 3 full bomb icons (collecting one in between will start the skipped bomb counter over), then the next item that comes up from popcorns will be an extend.

Not worth it for scoring or survival if you choose to skip the 3 before stage 7, in my opinion.
where can these be found then, ive only seen two full bombs in the airport stage ? (never been to stage 7 yet :oops: )
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Twiddle wrote:You have to skip 3 full bomb icons (collecting one in between will start the skipped bomb counter over), then the next item that comes up from popcorns will be an extend.

I beg to differ. The Special Bomb Extend has been very helpful to me in keeping the rank as low as possible in order to get past Grubby and the turret wall at the start of stage6. When rank is cranked, both parts are trickier to handle. I find the Special Bomb Extend easier and more practical to get than the Special Life Extend in any rate.

As for the large bomb icons themselves, there are two at the Airport (destroy the cabs of both trucks at the start of the stage before the trailers open), and two in stage6, held by large tanks with spinning turrets (one is right after the first turret wall, the second is halfway in the stage, left of one of the hatch rocket launchers after the second turret wall). Destroy the large turret, the two small turrets and both treads before destroying the body, using a bomb to do so is fine.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Icarus wrote:I beg to differ. The Special Bomb Extend has been very helpful to me in keeping the rank as low as possible in order to get past Grubby and the turret wall at the start of stage6. When rank is cranked, both parts are trickier to handle. I find the Special Bomb Extend easier and more practical to get than the Special Life Extend in any rate.
I thought it only did one life extend instead of two. (Life special extend does 2, despite it being quite moronic to do, and I figured bomb did only one) If not, I'll probably work in a 3-bomb skip into my strategy, as there's no net loss in supply and there's a real rank benefit.

There's also a third full Bomb if you're willing to deal with the yellow tank stupidity for longer than you have to in Highway (not destroying it until it stops), but chances are you'll get a score extend after that (if you did the medal dropping minigame correctly, along with some other factors)
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Twiddle wrote:I thought it only did one life extend instead of two. (Life special extend does 2, despite it being quite moronic to do, and I figured bomb did only one) If not, I'll probably work in a 3-bomb skip into my strategy, as there's no net loss in supply and there's a real rank benefit.
It does only give back one extra life, but its more helpful than two extra lives for rank control, plus you get enough points in stage6 to make up a couple more Extends to help out.
Twiddle wrote:There's also a third full Bomb if you're willing to deal with the yellow tank stupidity for longer than you have to in Highway (not destroying it until it stops), but chances are you'll get a score extend after that (if you did the medal dropping minigame correctly, along with some other factors)
That would be quite handy in fighting Envy, no doubt. You also get 3,000pts off the drones before the Rivals by destroying them with Aura.
thesuperkillerxxx

Post by thesuperkillerxxx »

need verification.

Bashinet that appears on Sky High. When he shoots the alternating blue lasers, does he always start on the left side?

I have never seen him go to the right first, but that is just me.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

thesuperkillerxxx wrote:need verification.

Bashinet that appears on Sky High. When he shoots the alternating blue lasers, does he always start on the left side?

I have never seen him go to the right first, but that is just me.
Yes, always left first, then right.
thesuperkillerxxx

Post by thesuperkillerxxx »

sorry to spam!

Troublesome patterns for me:

Purple Ninja blade spin

Purple Ninja Fire Sword

Bashinet (Sky High) terrible black rain of death at end of first form

Discharge first form spinning lasers, I know there is a way to do this. is it a set pattern or does it have to do with how or when you cross the yellow bullet stream?

Edit: proper time to bomb Deviate for the turret covers? I watched your vid awhile back, but it wasn't intuitive to me.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

thesuperkillerxxx wrote:Purple Ninja blade spin
Purple Ninja Fire Sword
By "purple ninja" I assume you mean Tsumujimaru?

"Blade Spin" (or the kunai attack) can be avoided by starting in the bottom left corner and tapping across the screen to the bottom right.
"Fire Sword" I assume is the homing dragons, and can be avoided like most homing lasers - start at the bottom middle and lure them to the sides, and move up as you dodge them. When you successfully avoid one, get back to the bottom middle.
thesuperkillerxxx wrote:Bashinet (Sky High) terrible black rain of death at end of first form
There is no easy way to avoid the raining mines at the end of the first form. ^_-
Only thing to do is to avoid destroying both weapons attached to the body, as destroying both activates the mines.
thesuperkillerxxx wrote:Discharge first form spinning lasers, I know there is a way to do this. is it a set pattern or does it have to do with how or when you cross the yellow bullet stream?
Easy pattern.

Code: Select all

Lasers sweep to left ->
Turrets spin, stop and fire ->
Lasers sweep to right ->
Turrets spin, stop and fire ->
REPEAT ->
When Discharge is about to sweep, move to the side of the screen ready, as it is easier to follow the sweep to the center of the screen rather than towards the sides. That means when Discharge is about to laser sweep to left, move to the right side, and vice versa. You also cut down on the distance moved the higher up the screen you are, which is helpful for slower ships, but slightly more dangerous as you're prone to being hit by the bullet stream.
thesuperkillerxxx wrote:Edit: proper time to bomb Deviate for the turret covers? I watched you vid awhile back, but it wasn't intuitive to me.
Best time to bomb Deviate is just after you've almost destroyed the main turret (it starts to fire the alternating three way laser pattern). Any other time and you have to endure the three way lasers for a lot longer than usual. Make sure you don't fire your main Shot as you bomb, or you risk destroying Deviate too soon.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

I don't know how but with Carpet(A) and on Stage 2 (airport) medal chain jumped from 500 to 10000! what the hell!?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Car-pet's great for increasing medal value via destructible scenery. What you probably did was use a bomb, and while Super-Sized ran over some background stuff that reveals medals if you bomb it, and collected the medals without even knowing it.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

BulletMagnet wrote:Car-pet's great for increasing medal value via destructible scenery. What you probably did was use a bomb, and while Super-Sized ran over some background stuff that reveals medals if you bomb it, and collected the medals without even knowing it.
Thanks i see that's easier way to increase score :)
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Not really. Airport and Sewer have lots of Medals for the taking, and it makes more sense to get there with maximum value Medals already available. Using sections of those stages to increase your Medal values means you lose a lot of points.

Since Sky High has relatively little in the way of Medals, you can use that stage to increase your Medals safely, ready for the rest of the game.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Yeah.... Boredom with carpet is harder than fighting him with shorty i noticed maybe because of the rank!?

EDIT:I'm confirming that boredom's spread bullet attack happens on a high rank!
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Kaiser wrote:EDIT:I'm confirming that boredom's spread bullet attack happens on a high rank!
Nope. You're not hurting the choppers fast enough.

Rank also affects health, but health by rank doesn't really take much effect until 30% of the way.
unban shw
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

I must find way to exceed 3 millions! because my maximum score yet is 2,600,000

And shooting boredom helicopters down with shorty is not easy task.

I have question Rivals are hard on normal course? Because boredom is hardest boss on normal course i think
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Kaiser wrote:I must find way to exceed 3 millions! because my maximum score yet is 2,600,000

I have question Rivals are hard on normal course? Because boredom is hardest boss on normal course i think
Really? I found Boredom the easiest of the lot, especially since on Normal Course one of his most annoying attacks (the spread of blue needle bullets) seems to have been replaced by a spread of pink destructable bullets. (Might have to do with rank.)
Just ignore the main body at the start of the fight and take out the helicopters one by one. Try not to just damage them or you'll have to cope with the nasty spreads of yellow bullets. After the copters are gone, just sit in front of Boredom and dodge the stuff he throws at you. Avoid to damage the ring laser emitters, as you'll have to cope with support fighters then.

I found Deviate slightly more difficult than Boredom and Bazzcok a lot more difficult.

Now, the Rivals are no piece of cake, even on Normal Course. Their difficulty depends on which one(s) you get. Sobut (green) is quite easy, Blunt (yellow) is medium, Envy (red) is painfully hard. If you're not shooting for a highscore and you just want to clear the game, I suggest you pick the Sewage System as your second stage and avoid getting any special powerups in order to not trigger the other rivals. In this case you'll only have to fight Sobut.

Also you might want to try playing with Strawman. He makes surviving much easier than most of the other characters.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Thanks that's far better now without problem i can get to last level of normal course but the beginning mid-boss is driving me out!
landshark

Post by landshark »

Kaiser wrote:I must find way to exceed 3 millions! because my maximum score yet is 2,600,000

Envy will give you alot of trouble compared with Boredom.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

I fought evny one time and he kicked my ass! bashinet also kicks ass but less than envy
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

I found stage 1 trick! In order to medal & score the cop cars at the same time you must use strawman and boss is gonna ride in less 2 seconds use the bomb when boss is riding! and buala! you medaled & scored cops cars

PROOF:Image
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

You don't need to waste a bomb to do that. The boss converts any crushed cars into Medals anyway. The real trick lies in using a bomb and destroying most of the cars for points, while leaving one or two to get a free Medal. ^_-
(Give me a minute and I'll whip up a clip.)

EDIT: Here you go. Not really tough to do, just make sure you bomb a bit early, and don't carry too many bomb fragments.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Heh i can get over 500k at stage 1 with medal scoring(don't using cop car medal trick because it's waste and medals are low worth i mean using bomb at cars at the same time as boss is riding in)
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

Kaiser wrote:Heh i can get over 500k at stage 1 with medal scoring(don't using cop car medal trick because it's waste and medals are low worth i mean using bomb at cars at the same time as boss is riding in)
I'm not sure what you mean here. If you are only getting 500k on stage 1, then do this:

Bomb the immediate start of the stage, moving to hit the litte grey boxes on the right of the screen and then left to the cars.

Shoot the traffic and pick up enough bomb icons to bomb the train when it appears and still have some fragments extra.

Aura the billboards of the car dealer and then bomb all the cars on screen. Aura the back of the house thing, then it's facade to trigger the birds.

Bomb the traffic a bit and then bomb half of the glass area where the helicopter appears. Pick up all medals, then bomb again to release the rest at a higher value.

Now pick up the bomb icons from the traffic and aura the grey boxes before the police cars. Bomb all cars on screen (or leave 1 to increase medals, but thats a bit hard to get everytime).

Milk the boss by destroying one half completely, then the other. Charge shot on either side should take out the little stubby bits that fire wide spreads.

Watch Icarus' replay for pretty much what I described.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Heh i can beat deviate and bazzcok without losing life :) deviate gives me more trouble than bazzcok but i don't worry now :D one time i got over 700k on stage 1 ^_^ hell yeah
landshark

Post by landshark »

freddiebamboo wrote:
Kaiser wrote:Heh i can get over 500k at stage 1 with medal scoring(don't using cop car medal trick because it's waste and medals are low worth i mean using bomb at cars at the same time as boss is riding in)
I'm not sure what you mean here. If you are only getting 500k on stage 1, then do this:

Bomb the immediate start of the stage, moving to hit the litte grey boxes on the right of the screen and then left to the cars.
Aura the gray boxes on the right side of the screen after you bomb.
Shoot the traffic and pick up enough bomb icons to bomb the train when it appears and still have some fragments extra.

Aura the billboards of the car dealer and then bomb all the cars on screen. Aura the back of the house thing, then it's facade to trigger the birds.

Bomb the traffic a bit and then bomb half of the glass area where the helicopter appears. Pick up all medals, then bomb again to release the rest at a higher value.

Now pick up the bomb icons from the traffic and aura the grey boxes before the police cars. Bomb all cars on screen (or leave 1 to increase medals, but thats a bit hard to get everytime).
Aura the boxes on the left (4 of them) after the cop cars.

Open 1 safe and milk the money. When it bleeds dry (or you destroy it), open the other safe and do the same. Then slowly pick away at the sides of the boss until he only shoots a big spread.

If he starts shooting missiles and nothing else, you can drop back and aura all the missiles.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Finally i've 1cc'ed normal course hell yeah! :) Thanks guys for the scoring tips and battle tips heh the last boss of normal course gave me big trouble but i've beaten him(Sobut)... and i've got 3,811,930 with strawman yeah....
i'm finally proud of myself but without you guys that wasn't possible
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Just an idea I'm going to test.

Normal Course - strategy ideas:

ship order: Carpet (B) / Silver Sword (C) / Strawman (A)
stage order: Sky High, Airport, Sewer
  • stage1:
    Play through as Carpet until boss, double suicide to switch to Strawman, end with at least 1mil.
    [ <-> <-> <Str> ]
  • stage2:
    Increase Medals to max via Boredom and Bashinet milking, Extend on one of the bosses, end with around 1.7 - 1.8mil average, 2.2mil tops.
    [ <-> <Str> <Car> ]
  • stage3:
    Blitz stage, collect both large Bomb icons, use to generate maximum score at the large plane section. Milk Bazzcok as normal, get at least one of Gob-Robo's spikeball arms at maximum length for the Medals. 3.5 - 4.1mil tops.
    [ <Str> <Car> <SS> ]
  • stage4:
    Play stage with Strawman if still active, take as many Medals from flipturrets at the start, and second half as normal. Suicide once before 4.5mil Extend Marker to regain Strawman for later. ALL turret ports on Deviate, both wings on Black Heart. 5.2 - 5.8mil.
    [ <Car> <SS> <Str> ]
  • stage5 - Bashinet2:
    Depending on whether or not it decides to spew missiles everywhere, scoring should be consistent. Suicide if required. 5.8 - 6.0mil.
    [ <Car> <SS> <Str> ]
  • stage6a - Tsumujimaru:
    Difficult fight, so expect to lose one or two extends here. Depending on his patterns, score can vary, ideally the best pattern to get repeatedly is the summoning of the ninjas (for easy score and Medals). One Extend may drop here depending on score and boss pattern. 6.2 - 6.5mil.
    [ <-> <Str> <Car> ]
  • stage6:
    Play as normal. Weaken blue hovercraft to allow gaining of Extend without use of bomb. Possible to get score-based Extend depending on current score, but don't rely on it. 6.5 - 6.8mil.
    [ <Str> <Car> <SS> ]
  • stage6b - Hayatemaru:
    Simple fight depending on current bombstock. No likelihood of Extend dropping unless score if over 7.5mil, and only if Hayate drops it on death. 7.2 - 7.6mil.
    [ <Str> <Car> <SS> ]
  • stage6c - Rivals:
    Dependent on whether or not Special Powerups were acquired. Best take from Rivals is up to 1mil. 7.5 - 8mil+.
Main problem is finding a Mahou ship that has a bomb range and duration equivalent to Strawman's, to get 1.1mil or so consistently from stage1. Miyamoto is good but the bomb duration and power is too low. Carpet is good but the bomb doesn't last long, and you have to move around to make good use of it.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Icarus wrote:[*]stage5 - Bashinet2:
Depending on whether or not it decides to spew missiles everywhere, scoring should be consistent. Suicide if required. 5.8 - 6.0mil.
[ <Car> <SS> <Str> ]
I was able to milk ~.7 million from a run from his trail grenades and missiles before he whipped out his timeout "walk across the bottom of the screen with the napalm firing" pattern. I'm sure you're aware of the arm 50k aura bonus at the end of the battle.

Also, doesn't the first ninja appear AFTER the Highway stage?
unban shw