RQ: Thunderforce IV sealed off items?

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Samudra

RQ: Thunderforce IV sealed off items?

Post by Samudra »

In level 8 (the level with four mini bosses) about 3/4 through at the top there are some items which seem to be sealed off completely. Imagine some items at the very top of the screen with a wall around the bottom. The room contains a shield and some other items.

Is the only way to get these sacrificing a shield, grabbing the new shield and spending that also getting out again (just an unlikely theory this one)? Or am I simply missing a path and can these be accessed from the top?
May we speak the beauty of thee, O Earth, that is in thy villages and forests and assemblies and war and battles.

-Atharva Veda XII. 1. 56.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

You need at least one, maybe two hits (to be safe) on your shield. Set your speed to MAX and quickly dart through the wall into the cavity. Inside there is a Blade, Snake, 1UP and another Shield. Make sure you pick up the Shield last, and move so that you're on the way out of the cavity anyway. You should exit with two more hits to spare.

AFAIK, there is no safe way to get them. So if you have no Shield to spare, just ignore the items (or suicide, with either Blade or Snake selected so you can recover the life, the Shield and your lost weapon).
Samudra

Post by Samudra »

Thanks for that.

I thought I would already be playing TF IV by now, but another game is still taking my time.

Are you able to do this repeatedly with only one hit on your shield? Or is it ever a chancy thing?
May we speak the beauty of thee, O Earth, that is in thy villages and forests and assemblies and war and battles.

-Atharva Veda XII. 1. 56.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

IIRC, you get a couple of seconds worth of invincibility when you lose your last shield hit, so you should still be able to dive in to the hole to get the powerups. Only attempt it with your ship at full speed, and make sure you move in one movement.