GD: Zero Gunner 2 scoring areas

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
StrongestUkyo

GD: Zero Gunner 2 scoring areas

Post by StrongestUkyo »

Started to play this game, now I´m searching for score-areas.

What I found (not much):

Alpine Armored Train:

1.)Just before you clear the 2nd train, 2 large helicopters enter from the left, when the screen scrolls directly downwards.
Shoot the first one as fast as possible to get a 3rd helicopter.
The same strat works with the 2 helicopters entering from the right a few seconds later.

2.) Before clearing the last train, when the screen scrolls upwards:
smash the entire train except one last part, then wait a moment. 4 additional large helicopters will enter the screen, zwo from the left, two from the right. After taking those down, finish the train off.

Now enlighten me!
Last edited by StrongestUkyo on Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Yeah, sometimes destroying enemies quickly will yield a few more, but most often I think the idea is to wait a few seconds for the ships to sprout a few more of the energy cubes.

The bigger scoring "tricks" probably involve boss milking; the bosses with the spheres/pods or the final boss with its rocks (which are worth thousands apiece + the power-up bonus). Also, dragging out certain sections for as many smaller ships could probably net thousands of extra points.

For the pods, think of the level 6 boss. I think they are worth 2000 points apiece plus power-up/energy bonus, so dragging that out to the limit (before boss self-destructs) would be one of the most lucrative points. Level 5 boss has a lot of those too.

Oh, and you'll want to edit the proper tag into the subject line (ex. GD: Zero Gunner 2).
Darkcomet72

Post by Darkcomet72 »

I heard that the amount of points available for stage 7 is equal to the first five stages COMBINED.

Don't forget the final bosses orbs. They come at a incredible speed in his first form, and are worth 1000 points each, I think.

I think the pods from 6th boss give only 500 points, too.
Ed: He asked for mustard Eddy! Do you have corn in your ears mister?
Rob

Post by Rob »

--Alpine Armored Train
The pods are worth about 1000 pts. apiece, and you can probably destroy 10-12 before the boss self destructs.

--Asian Slum
Pods are worth 500 pts. apiece + 150 in e-cubes. Eight are released at a time, so that's about 6000 pts. each batch.

--Orbital Elevator
Boss pods are worth 2000 pts. apiece (500 + 1000 (p-up bonus) + 500 (large e-cube). With three groups of three, quickly regenerating, this is probably a 50,000-100,000 pt. milking zone.

There are about 56 enemies on this stage that slowly sprout an additional 4 small e-cubes (the most out of any stage). Total it's about 11,200 pts. extra, if I counted correctly. Also note the section before the halfway point, if you destroy the midboss quickly you can get extra sets of small enemies that are worth about 5000 pts. total.

--Stage 7 (forgot the name)
The boss has the major amount of milking. First form, groups of 8 pods. The pods are worth about 2200 pts. apiece, 17,600 a batch. It releases at least 10 of these before moving onto the next form. Final form, boss surrounds itself with about 8-10 rocks (didn't write down the values, but probably about 2000-3000 pts. apiece). Then it shoots out 20 or more pods like before, at least 40,000 points. It does that twice before self-destructing. 300,000 pt.+ milking zone.

The first orb (blue) on the inner structure releases many blue crystals that are worth 1000 pts. apiece. I'm not sure how many can be destroyed before having to destroy the orb. I'd guess 20-30 or more. And like the midboss on stage 6, if you destroy the 2 mechs quickly you can get multiple sets of extra enemies.

---
So I think I've got about 1,700,000 pts. accounted for each round, and there's the 10,000 bonus for each remaining life (30,000 possible). The WR is about 400,000+ pts. more than that, so there's definitely some tricks or glitches. Bah! :cry:
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

The highest score I've found is 3,9 mil for the apachi and comanche, and your strategy accounts for ~3,7 so you don't seem to be missing much. I bet after another year with this you could ace it, Rob!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Really not interested in straining for a score like that, but where the additional 300+ thousand points are coming from is a mystery to me that I'd like to find an answer to.

Has anyone seen any of these high scoring games?