RQ: chaining in Dodonpachi

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

Marc wrote: Also the level 2 boss, after many hours practise the final spread attack with the central column of pink bullets and the blue shrapnel still takes the odd stupid life, or bomb off me. Currently my strategy is to position myself just to the side of the main pink shots and try and weave through the blue fire from that point, is there any other position that gives me a bit more room?
That final pink spread attack by the stage 2 boss can be very unpredictable. Your best bet if you have difficulty with this is to force the boss to use its blue spread pattern as it's final attack instead - it's a lot easier to navigate. What attack it uses is decided by what attack it is about to do at the time you put it's energy into the red.

The timing required for the C-S ship (no miss to the boss) is to destroy the two turrets on either the left or right side of the boss before moving on to attack it's main body (3 stars should be released if you've done this right [2 from the inner turret]).

For laser types, you will do more damage, so destroy 3 turrets to miss the attack.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Thanks dude. Put quite a bit of practise in this weekend and got that one just about down. Now I'm having trouble with the red ships firing 'needle' shots on 3 :roll: Just when you think you're getting somewhere...

Averaging about 9-10 mil per game before crashing and burning, somewhere around halfway through level four usually. Improving, but I won't be scurrying off to the hi-score thread just yet. :oops: Still trying to perfect that damn chain... :evil:
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

damn, doj is unbelievably good. The chaining in that game is incredibly addictive. Making steady progress with it too, managed 16.5 mil on the first stage after two days :D
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
Blade

Post by Blade »

I need to get some confirmation on this, but, what exactly are the Bees for...maintaing Chain or getting to Hibachi?

I'd like some advice regarding getting to Hibachi, I'm not particularly going for score since I'll most likely not get as good compared to some other players, I just want to fight that boss.
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Blade wrote:I need to get some confirmation on this, but, what exactly are the Bees for...maintaing Chain or getting to Hibachi?

I'd like some advice regarding getting to Hibachi, I'm not particularly going for score since I'll most likely not get as good compared to some other players, I just want to fight that boss.
To access the second loop (Hibachi at the end):
http://www.shmups.com/beepreying/old/st ... s/etc.html
Blade

Post by Blade »

It seems that considering how hard DDP is for me, I'll have to do some Bee Collecting. Has anyone ever made a map for the Bee locations in each stage?
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

2. Merciful Peacemaker
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I recall someone doing something like that some time ago, but I forget who it was...
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

Blade

Post by Blade »

Semi-Good News:

I managed to get to the Second Loop and Fight Hibachi....although my methods were somewhat dishorable (I save-stated my way mostly to survive).

But what IS HONORABLE is this...I (unthinkingly at the time) managed a 273 Hit Chain (type A Ship) on the 4th Stage, making me eligible for the second loop....people should've told me chaining would be easier than Bee Collecting.

FYI I Made a Permanent Savestate on the Second Loop, lol.

I said it before and I'll say it again:

I'M A CHEATIN' BASTICH. :twisted: :oops:

But it was still hard to pull off anywho...I just wanted to meet Mr. Hibachi.

2. Merciful Peacemaker
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Nothing dishonerable about using mame savestates for practicing (I have stavestates for all levels plus the second loop). Yes stage 4 is an opportunity to reach the chaining requirements, only problem is I use ship C so need to exceed 330 hits. :D Trying to get over 50M may be the way to go for me.
tuoma

Post by tuoma »

Dug up an old thread, just have one question...

How do you trigger the big medallion rain from the tank?
It was pouring big gold stars and i haven't gotten that before.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=1134

not that it's worthwhile to do it though
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
Kollision

Re: RQ: chaining in Dodonpachi

Post by Kollision »

Resurrection!

I'm TATEing the Saturn version now and I've nailed the chains in stage 1.
It feels good to finally do this after all these years.

What bugs me still is that sometimes taking a power-up (such as the one prior to the mid-boss) breaks my laser chain.
Is that normal or is it something particular to the Saturn port? I'm too lazy to MAME it and test right now, but for the time being I'm avoiding power-ups if I have to keep a chain by using laser.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Kollision wrote:What bugs me still is that sometimes taking a power-up (such as the one prior to the mid-boss) breaks my laser chain.
Is that normal or is it something particular to the Saturn port? I'm too lazy to MAME it and test right now, but for the time being I'm avoiding power-ups if I have to keep a chain by using laser.
I haven't worked too seriously on chaining myself, but I remember reading somewhere about how you have to make sure to be pointblanking an enemy with the laser aura when you grab a powerup due to how the game 'breaks' your laser for a second to upgrade it to the higher level you obtained. I'm pretty sure this applies to all the Pachi games with powerups you can grab (not DFK or SDOJ).
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Thanks! :)
Now to polish that 2nd stage chain. :mrgreen:
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

In DDP, you can grab a powerup and keep your chain if you're within about a third of the screen of the enemy you're lasering. In DOJ though, the very instant you stop lasering something, your chain dies. Like, within that frame. There is no slack time.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Awesome info, Giest118, thanks.
No more lost chains by broken laser. :mrgreen: