ST: Giga Wing

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Randorama

Re: ST: Giga Wing

Post by Randorama »

Thanks for all this information, Roo. Would you like to actually create a proper ST for this game, so that we can put this thread into the dustbin of the site's history?
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Give me a month or so to properly get back into scoring the game and I can consolidate all the info up and write something more indepth with pictures. Now that I'm way more comfortable with survival at any point in the game without reflect I feel like being very aggressive about milking will come much more easily. But my uh, slight obsession with no-reflect clearing it means I'm sorta rusty on boss milking timing. >_>;;;

I should be able to achieve a decent score as long as I can get a no-miss run that can beats the game with no more than like two bombs used. Preferably none but a couple bombs used is better than dying and losing the stock on stage 5 or 6.

I've given the Dreamcast version a whirl a few times now. It'd actually be easier than the arcade due to the slight damage boost you get by being able to reflect without interrupting your shooting if not for the reduced slowdown that makes several bosses more difficult. My first serious credit into DC stage 6 died horribly when I was expecting to breeze through its first attack without needing to bomb then "ohcrap it's way faster" and I hoarded bombs like a sucker death until I died a few times in a row.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Any time is fine for me. Just please feel free to open the proper ST thread any time you like, and we can just have this one fade away in the background :wink:
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I haven't forgotten about this I swear. >w>; Infodumping so I don't forget some of this stuff again.

S4 Boss always uses the first same 4 attacks. Spread -> laser sweep -> spread -> laser sweep. You can get in close on top of the boss during the spread, back away as the shoulder turrets take aim, and if you're strong enough to kill the turrets on the right then you can get back in its face as it uses the laser sweep. Hiding at long range for the laser sweep is OK too. Then repeat again. Its 5th attack appears to be randomized or possibly dependent on factors I'm not aware of, but normally hiding at the bottom of the screen works for survival purposes you can kill this boss before or by the time it starts attack #5. This is obviously bad for scoring because you want to actively milk the boss and break off its arms repeatedly, but it's a boss you can speedkill if you just want the 1CC

S6 boss has a safespot during its opening attacks. The third wave of blue rings can be completely avoided at the bottom left of the screen, and then there's a safespot that works on the second and third attacks (its second attack is very dangerous). Where the OK indicator is on P1 side, there's a tight spread that fires downward. You want to sit so the cockpit is at the bottom of the screen and basically in the middle of the letters OK, so you're just to the left of the vertical line of bullets. This position causes the fixed spreads of its second and third attacks to miss you, and the aimed shots to fire below your ship. The positioning is tight, but doesn't have to be pixel-perfect.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Well, any amount of infodumping is OK for me, and after all these years...I am not in a hurry to get a new thread. Any time is fine for me, literally :wink: