GD: DOJ system and strat

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

I didn't want to open a new topic for this:

I'm having problems beating the 2-1 boss. I simply don't know how to do his first attack and the swirls attack....are there any sweet spots? It seems impossible to do with just one bomb...please help
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
neo

Post by neo »

Plasmo wrote:I didn't want to open a new topic for this:

I'm having problems beating the 2-1 boss. I simply don't know how to do his first attack and the swirls attack....are there any sweet spots? It seems impossible to do with just one bomb...please help
For the first attack, you can dodge the first wave of pink bullets on the right side of the screen (there are very few bullets on the right, so it's easy to dodge the first wave this way), then drop the laser bomb right before the second wave reach the ship and go at point blank on the main body of the boss during the bomb.The invincibility of the ship should last long enough to survive the other waves of the first attack without having to dodge them.

Since the ship is still at point blank at this moment, you will have to move the ship down a little to dodge the second attack. After the fourth attack, you just have to go at point blank against the main body of the boss and it will be destroyed before the swirls attack.

You don't get any hyper with this method though.

Alternatively, if you have 5 hypers in stock, you can destroy it "death label style" (like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-4_QeNQOSA ),
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Thanks for the tips neo. I'll try it out later, sounds doable now! :)
I like chocolate milk

PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

so the most intriguing thing for me in this game is this "your lives are screwed" deal that happens when you clear the first loop (ie the game steals your lives). What's up with that ? Can you get them back ? If not, does it mean you're supposed to play the 2nd loop with only 2 lives (the current life + the extend from the big canon in stage 4) ?

Also about hypers. They let you get more hits out of the enemies. Is it mostly worth more points in the stages than on the bosses ?
LtC

Post by LtC »

PROMETHEUS wrote:so the most intriguing thing for me in this game is this "your lives are screwed" deal that happens when you clear the first loop (ie the game steals your lives). What's up with that ? Can you get them back ? If not, does it mean you're supposed to play the 2nd loop with only 2 lives (the current life + the extend from the big canon in stage 4) ?
You extend every time you clear a stage in the second loop, I'm not entirely sure if you have to no-miss though.

As for Hypers I wouldn't suggest using it against other bosses than maybe the first boss. The rank skyrockets during bosses if you use a hyper.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

LtC wrote:You extend every time you clear a stage in the second loop, I'm not entirely sure if you have to no-miss though.
Weird. Well, they were right to take this shit out of the game in BL. But glad to know I would at least have a way to get the lives back if I make it that far. Do you get those extends even if you had no lives left when you cleared the first loop ?
jpj

Post by jpj »

you do prom yes :) interestingly, they took that out for BL (no extends except stage 4 1up), which means i can never get past 2-2 :?

regarding videos, i have the following:

LAOS (from the ps2 super-play dvd)
Clover-TAC (type B replays from the ps2 game disc)
ISO (BL replay, includes a hibachi no-miss omake ^_^)
HFD (the new BL dvd - best score)
... and Cowboy-NOA 8)

they all vary in skill and score, but they also vary in routes and patterns.

there is this idea that doj, because it is the follow on from ddp, has this rigid scoring path which you cannot stray from, and you must never make a mistake.

but with doj, that is really not true .. because of the hyper system! as you activate it, you gain about 2 seconds before your chain resets. and when and where you activate your hypers are all down to personal choice. which is why i think doj is so much a better game :)

hypers greatly increase the rate at which your chain increases, both for C shot, and holding A on bosses/large enemies/walls/etc

there's some great info on page 1 :)
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Cool. I have the PS2 superplay DVD but haven't taken a look yet. Does it have a type A or B full run with all the chains ? I guess I'll rip the videos from it if that's easy to do. I think I will play type A because it reminds me of DDP ^^

I like the hyper system, and the less rigid chaining, it's a lot more fun. It looks so much better too. I'm surprised it's emulated so perfectly @_@ It even looks better than when I played it on a PS2.
jpj

Post by jpj »

the dvd is a type A-E replay (if you didn't already do this, L and E ships are best :) ).

what's interesting about that replay is he doesn't use any hypers for stage 3. and instead saves them all up for stage 4, so he can start the stage with 5 hypers, and get a massive 1000 hits really quickly at the beginning. stage 3 isn't a big scoring stage, so it makes sense. but then..! HFD and TSK develop a technique where you can chain ALL of stage 3 (using hypers), ie chaining in and out of the midboss fight :shock: apart from those two, i don't think anyone knew that was possible, so you would only chain one half, fight midboss, chain other half of level (and therefore not much score). hope that makes sense... :)

how about not being so cheap, and buying a BL dvd? type A and B runs, plus other bonuses :)
PROMETHEUS wrote:Cool.
Cool!
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Yeah I'm playing A-E and using the corresponding BL run by ISO right now. I'd rather get a "original" run though just to get a better idea of where to get hypers.
jpj

Post by jpj »

again, it depends on your chaining... don't think "if i play this level on white label, the hyper arrives 20 seconds later" etc. hypers are generated by chaining, and also chaining into the bees - so each person may have slightly different approach. but the ps2 dvd would be a good place to start :)
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

chaining into the bees ? You mean as grabbing a bee while chaining ?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I imagine he's referring to the amount of Hyper Juice you get from a bee being dependant on your hit counter. Specifics are in the original post.
jpj

Post by jpj »

yeah :) this is very important for two reasons..

bees are worth 1000 x Chain. so grabbing a bee with a 1000 hit chain is 1 million points. there are ten per stage, and the tenth (provided you don't die) is worth 1000 x Chain x 2. and if you collect all ten, bees in the next level will be worth 1000 more points each (ie 2000, 3000, etc).

and for the hyper gauge: (copied from page 1)

"How much does a bee fill the hyper meter?

20-39 hits will increase the hyper gauge by 3%,
40-59 hits will increase it by 6%,
and so forth until 200 hits or more, which will increase the gauge by 30%."

although in white label, collecting two bees in close proximity you don't get the full amount that you should added to your hyper meter (fixed somewhat in BL).

plasmo got something like 30 mill by successfully chaining into the last bee on 1-5 for example

getting ten bees without dying (and therefore the x2 bonus) is also the main way to access the 2nd loop. the other requirements are deaths less than 2; use bombs less than 3.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

jpj wrote:HFD and TSK develop a technique where you can chain ALL of stage 3 (using hypers), ie chaining in and out of the midboss fight :shock:
Do you have a video of this? I've never heard about it before.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
jpj

Post by jpj »

Taylor wrote:I imagine he's referring to the amount of Hyper Juice you get from a bee being dependant on your hit counter. Specifics are in the original post.
beaten to it :oops:

but yeah, this is one of the main factors in producing hypers; don't expect the icons to fall around the same time as a replay unless you're maintaining your chain, and picking up the bees :)
jpj

Post by jpj »

ruldra: ISO does it on the 2nd loop of the BL replay on super-play.co.uk

HFD copied the technique to do it on the first loop from TSK. i don't have any links sadly, but it is on the new BL dvd. i am unsure if it can be done on normal doj; but unlike elfhentai's comments, the amount of enemies here is the same, so it is at least theoretically possible. sadly none of us have done it yet though :oops:
captpain

Post by captpain »

If I'm trying to cheese through the first loop just to make a 1-ALL, should I collect hypers? On the one hand, they provide some bullet cancelling and firepower, but on the other hand, they increase the rank.

I'm really digging this game. I love the slightly darker style, the music, and the difficulty boost from DDP.
LtC

Post by LtC »

captpain wrote:If I'm trying to cheese through the first loop just to make a 1-ALL, should I collect hypers? On the one hand, they provide some bullet cancelling and firepower, but on the other hand, they increase the rank.
Of course you should. They can save your ass the same way as bombs do BUT you can also keep your chain, actually they help you keep your chain. And if the rank becomes problematic you can just use a bomb and the rank will be reduced.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

All this talk about DOJ really makes me want to play this again. :cry:
I like chocolate milk

PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Is there a max rank ? I'm scared that the game gets really really mad at me if I use too many hypers :p
jpj

Post by jpj »

yes! maximum rank is using 15 hypers consecutively without a bomb or death, if i remember rightly. play around with simulation mode and see how bad it gets...!

but that is just hyper rank. basic rank (a separate thing) also increases the longer you live, and with max bomb bonus. obviously dying during a stage causes you to lose your chain, but dying on a boss isn't a bad idea (provided you don't lose any hypers), as you can "reset" the rank ready for the next level. i almost always die on stage 4 boss (yes, sometimes it is deliberate :lol: )

p.s. i miss you plasmo :cry:
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

mmmh and with this original DOJ you don't really care to lose some lives before you start Stage 5... no miss bonus is a joke right ? And it's fine to have only 1 or 2 lives for stage 5 if you know you can nearly 1 life it, because then you'll get the same number of extends in 2nd loop regarldess. That's weird ~
jpj

Post by jpj »

i said this on cave-stg as well, but no-miss max bomb bonus for loop 1 is only ~30 mill. considering that 800+ mill is possible, it is not really a big deal :) max bomb bonus is only really if you're going for a world record, i think (or two loops clear)
RGC

Post by RGC »

Occasionally, I break this out on the PS2, but always get so frustrated with not being able to chain consistently, it goes angrily back on the shelf.

In an hour's session I might spend 45 minutes repeatedly fucking up just after the rotating gun section on stage 1, ~33-35 seconds into malik's video. I'd then likely give up chaining and play through to around stage 4, before turning it off.

I can chain DDP stage 2 comfortably with C-S (LOL), but that seems less pedantic than DOJ (ignoring the freedom hypers bestow). Is it worth persevering, or do I just not have the timing? :?
jpj

Post by jpj »

that turret is a cunt, and shouldn't be there, as it's the toughest part to learn for stage 1, and puts people off immediately.

it's really not that tough, but you need to have faith. hold the laser down even after it's blown up, and learn what order the first five big ships come down in (you can sort of see where by their shadows :) ), collect a bee, get a hyper, and blast away!! :)

i think i spent a week playing that stage over and over when i first got into it. but like ikaruga, or whatever, once you learn it and it's filed away in your brain, the execution is really easy and you wont have trouble doing it time and time again in the future
RGC

Post by RGC »

jpj wrote:...collect a bee, get a hyper, and blast away!! :)
OK, I feel inspired enough to give it another crack, probably at the weekend. Joy or despair awaits. :?
jpj

Post by jpj »

hold the laser down after it blows up, and just learn that short pattern they come down in. go for it :D
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

It's not something that comes to you if you just try a couple of times. I repeated every little section of stage 1 maybe 30 or 50 times yesterday with a savestate (thx to PS2 emulator) to get them down.
Last edited by PROMETHEUS on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

As for me, I can chain all of stage 1 consistently but there's this spot that breaks my chain 90% of the time...exactly at 0:45 on malik's video. I run out of enemies to kill and the chain breaks either before or after the power-up ship appears. In both cases there's this small gap that no enemies show up and it inevitably ruins my chain.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.