GD: Ibara

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
elfhentaifan

Re: ?

Post by elfhentaifan »

freddiebamboo wrote:
DEL wrote:Archer-type double hadou placement on the Stage 5 tanks for 3 extra hadous - great stuff!
Yeah, the first time I saw this I was in awe, haven't managed to get it to work yet though - I use too many bombs on stage 4 unfortunately.
It also is fairl doable with one hadou
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

elfhentaifan wrote:
freddiebamboo wrote:
DEL wrote:Archer-type double hadou placement on the Stage 5 tanks for 3 extra hadous - great stuff!
Yeah, the first time I saw this I was in awe, haven't managed to get it to work yet though - I use too many bombs on stage 4 unfortunately.
Is it? I've tried in practice using only 1 but never got it to work and just assumed it was impossible.

Do you have a vid or can you explain how its done?
DEL

!!

Post by DEL »

freddie wrote;
Oddly, in Ibara not shooting while a bomb is doing its thing does more damage than if you shoot during it.

Very useful for taking down the later bosses in the game.
Ah good thanks! That's very useful information indeed. The replay did make me think that this was the case.

elfhentaifan
wrote;
The moment you activate your hadou, there is a short "explosion" which has as much fire power as a bomb, and also makes you invincible (for a couple of frames). Very useful in various situations.
^Thanks! This is Golden Info also :wink: .
Again I half suspected it from viewing the replay but wasn't sure.
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

freddiebamboo wrote:
elfhentaifan wrote:
freddiebamboo wrote: Yeah, the first time I saw this I was in awe, haven't managed to get it to work yet though - I use too many bombs on stage 4 unfortunately.
Is it? I've tried in practice using only 1 but never got it to work and just assumed it was impossible.

Do you have a vid or can you explain how its done?
Be sure to have your options turned to ROCKET, while your maingun is a weak one, like machine gun or gatling.
Then place a hadou at (circa) the middle of the screen, fly up (not too high!), wait for the tanks until they passed the red string, place yourself over them (as exactly in the middle as possible) and try shooting down the tires, before destroying the tank itself.

ok I admit its not this easy and definetly not a safe strat, but how often do you end up at this area with 2 hadous, even 1 would be good.
I manages this strat a couple of times so its not impossible.
DEL

?

Post by DEL »

Alright, so what exactly is the deal with the ST2 Boss leeching? I've watched Gakidou's Dyne replay and I almost got it to work (but it drifted off screen immediately :? ).
What exactly have you got to kill and what have you got to leave undestroyed?

Plus, what gets through your full hadou in the medal rush section just before the ST5 Boss? I often die there despite being in the middle of my red hadou line :? . What is getting through the red line? Is it the little white shots from the men standing around? Does the red hadou strafing line not kill off those shots?

:?:
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

DEL wrote:Alright, so what exactly is the deal with the ST2 Boss leeching? I've watched Gakidou's Dyne replay and I almost got it to work (but it drifted off screen immediately :? ).
What exactly have you got to kill and what have you got to leave undestroyed?
I'm not 100% DEL, but everytime I've got it to work I went through the usual motions to get to the third phase of the boss and took out all the parts until you have the back turrets firing large triangle shapes. Then start firing close to the body until it goes into its next phase and quickly as possible trigger your hadou aura over the body part (see ICR's guide for exact part). This does not work everytime for me though, sometimes the boss is disabled but just wanders off the bottom of the screen - still easier than dodging all its spam though. It is probably my timing thats off or I'm not fully milking the last 2 parts of that phase.

Icarus' guide to two bosses is on this page DEL:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... &start=120

And remember to have flamethrowers equipped for this so you get the maximum amount of points when you disable the boss :wink:
Plus, what gets through your full hadou in the medal rush section just before the ST5 Boss? I often die there despite being in the middle of my red hadou line :? . What is getting through the red line? Is it the little white shots from the men standing around? Does the red hadou strafing line not kill off those shots?
Hmm, not sure at all about this. AFAIK nothing can get through the hadou line and you can only get hit if you duck out too far collecting medals - I have no idea about this mate.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Plus, what gets through your full hadou in the medal rush section just before the ST5 Boss? I often die there despite being in the middle of my red hadou line Confused . What is getting through the red line? Is it the little white shots from the men standing around? Does the red hadou strafing line not kill off those shots?
The position of your Hadou is a bit off. You get killed by the enemies reappearing right after they were under the bridges. They are invincible for 0,1secs and can fly through your Hadou. Try to stay away from the enemies even if you think you're safe.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
DEL

!

Post by DEL »

Plasmo wrote;
You get killed by the enemies reappearing right after they were under the bridges.
Ah, that explains it perfectly. They go under the bridge and can appear on you. Thanks :) .

freddie wrote;
until you have the back turrets firing large triangle shapes. Then start firing close to the body until it goes into its next phase and quickly as possible trigger your hadou aura over the body part (see ICR's guide for exact part).
Ok thanks. It certainly appears to be a tricky thing to do :? .

I still haven't been down the arcade to play a full credit on the board, but the PS2 practice is ongoing...
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

In case you missed it, I was going through the GD thread and saw Rastan78's explanation which is much better than mine DEL:
The biggest surprise to me on the DVD was the Stage 2 boss milking. Talk about a quick and dirty way to increase your score. I'll summarize the method for those who haven't seen it yet or won't be buying it. I already tested it out and it works like a charm.

Head into the fight with at least at least two extra lives and one burner. If you have extra lives, just plow through the first two forms not worrying about dying and trying to take them out ASAP. You want to die enough to get 1 hadou back.

On form 3, destroy the two side pods that give you burners and grab them so that you have 3 burners now. Destroy only one of the side pods that give you Napalms but don't grab it. Now you can go ahead and take out the main body without worrying about any of the other pods. Think of this boss as a race to get to the final form so that you have a longer time to milk points.

Now just hover directly above the boss and take out the main body while dodging the purple shots from below. As soon as you activate the final form, trigger your hadou above the very top of the boss. DON'T release the hadou from now until the end of the level, just keep holding down B. You'll hear the hadou activation flash take out a small part of the boss located at the extreme top center which seems to nullify its attacks. Now just hover dead center in front of the boss and hold down shot until the boss times out without destroying any wheels. This would be a good time to activate autofire if you've got it. The 3 burners and your rapid shot will create massive "tick" damage points. As the boss takes off down the bottom of the screen (after quite a while), take out all six wheels and then just let it go.

Remind anyone of another Raizing boss?
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

Archer has a quite recently added high rank stage 6 replay in his PS2 practice mode which is a good watch (this has no doubt been posted somewhere else) but edits out the boss milking at a K score. The movies below that are older, but are worth watching also. You'll need winrar to open them DEL, but you should have it installed.

http://home.r00.itscom.net/archer/

Click on the "cave stg" text on the left hand side column to get to the vids.
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

WOW

The way he sits on that hadou is genius!
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

the replay is amazing.
Unfortunately they cut it off at the boss
DEL

Post by DEL »

freddie - that rar wouldn't give me a problem, but for some reason I can't download it :? , it comes up with a red X in my Bitcomet when I try to start the download...
I thought it could be due to lack of memory space so I deleted a bunch of dls, but it still wouldn't dload.

Thanks for listing that Rastan78 ST2 Boss leeching explanation :!:
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

why do you want to download it with a bittorrent??
Did you already try out to leech it via your webbrowser? That should work out

Btw it may be that downloadmanager wont work with megaupload or other filehoster.
This problem happened to me several times (especially with .rar files)
DEL

i

Post by DEL »

I was curious as to what happens when you overclock the score past Z. So I played an experimental non default credit last night.
I played a credit on Normal Skill level, 3 life start (as per default), but 4 bombs for the purpose of whacking up the score.
It turned out that beyond a 'Z' score the scoring starts with 'a' 'b' 'c' 'd' again, but in small case letters not CAPS.
If you look closely at my 2-ALL score, you'll see the dot above the 'i'. Its not an 'I' score its an 'i'. ie. 44,936,280
Anyway, its just random trivia :? .
Last edited by DEL on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

After small case "z" you get "!", "?" and then some kind of square for every other million gained.

So you're going for the 2-ALL ? :wink:
Where did your credit end on the B score?
I like chocolate milk

DEL

Post by DEL »

Plasmo wrote;
After small case "z" you get "!", "?" and then some kind of square for every other million gained.
Oh wow, ok at least the game doesn't crash :o .

As for my regular default play, I'm still fumbling around with B scores at the 1st loop Boss. I only play Extended mode though, because I enjoy the second loop :) . Looks like I'll dead end on Stage 10 (Loop 2-4) when I finally get used to this game. It just gets a bit too heavy on ST10.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Stage 8 boss is already impossible enough. Good luck!
I like chocolate milk

DEL

Post by DEL »

^If I'm out of bombs at that nasty 2nd form of the ST8 Boss, then yes its a dead end for sure.
With ST9 you've got to make sure you race up and point blank the train sections as they appear. It gets very out of hand if they are allowed to shoot :? .

EDIT 03.07.08 :- The just off centre full hadou placement on the ST6 Midboss is odd but it works. For some reason it works on the last form of the ST5 Boss too.

I'm reaching the 2nd loop with Dyne (D) more regularly now.
TLB

Re: RQ: Ibara

Post by TLB »

I have a question or two about rank on the PCB: When I have time to play this game, I usually play it for an hour or two (sometimes 3 ^_-) on end, and I notice that the starting rank of each credit appears to be higher and higher with each successive run; is this true? Would resetting the board help, or should I just let it cycle the demo screens a few times between credits?

How much stress does resetting put on a PCB?
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

There is no starting/minimum rank difference between plays in Ibara like there is in Garegga/Batrider. There is some sort of 'Rank Rate' indicator that goes up very, very slowly with enough plays, but it doesn't actually seem to do anything.

If you did want to reset though, you could just boot up in Special mode and hit both players' start buttons. That resets even the 'Rank Rate' value.

Edit: Make sure to unplug your C button if you do that though.
TLB

Post by TLB »

Ah, thank you. I didn't know that. I should go and check the Ibara Special Ver. thread again; there's probably more info by now and I've probably forgotten some of the nifty things you can do with it.

I'd make a write-up for Ibara and/or Special Ver., but I'm quite confident Icarus will do a far better job if he ever gets around to it, heh heh.

Another thing I've noticed that I don't recall ever seeing addressed in any of these threads; in Canyon, at the part where you launch the second hadou and there's a tank with a broken turret, I think you can get it to spew medals the way the refineries do by hitting it with an aura flash. Like, jerking down from the back of the tank. I'm not sure yet, though. I started launching the hadou in the center of the screen so that it would take out all the wheels and leave the body intact so as to nab the four extra medals, but I think I'm going to start launching it to the left again...I'll test it some more if I have time before work today.
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

The only way to get a medal shower out of the big tanks is to have them run over each other. And that's not possible on stage 2 AFAIK.
TLB

Post by TLB »

Gwyrgyn Blood wrote:The only way to get a medal shower out of the big tanks is to have them run over each other. And that's not possible on stage 2 AFAIK.
Watch veeery closely. I've tested this myself, and it does work. You can see the stack of red 10000s.
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

Pretty weird. Wonder why that works there and nowhere else though.
TLB

Post by TLB »

I'm not quite sure yet, either. I could make some guesses, but I'd rather not unless I know they're right. Maybe if I have some spare time tomorrow and I'm sucking ass at actually playing I'll test it out a little bit. I should rotate my other TV. It has a VHS deck in it and I could record shit and look at it more closely. It also has way better picture. Come to think of it, I never even use the thing...
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

Well, it's real easy to get the extra medals, but it's kind of hard to get them and the full bomb. Not a real problem though, you can do all next part with just bombs.

Still don't know why it happens though. My guess is that it either has something to do with hitting the silo with the hadou at the same time as you kill the tank with a bomb. Might be some kind of weird glitch.

Or it could just be something really simple! Who knows.
tommyb

Re: GD: Ibara

Post by tommyb »

Can anyone tell me how to trigger the Special Powerup in Ibara? I know in Pink Sweets you have to miss 4 powerups and then the next one will be the special powerup...any idea on how to trigger it in Ibara? Thanks!
Muchi Muchi Spork

Re: GD: Ibara

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

I copy pasted this a long time ago, I think the info was posted originally by Icarus:

SEARCH: Drop five small bomb fragments, then pick up an option powerup.
WIDE: Drop five option powerups, then pick up the sixth option powerup.
ROLLING: Drop five medals, then pick up an option powerup.
BACK: Drop five small shot powerups, then pick up an option powerup.