ST: G-Stream G2020

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
BPzeBanshee

Re: ST: G-Stream G2020

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Now that DeltaZeal is out I've been playing the fuck out of it along with XIIZeal (which last I checked I was #4 on the leaderboards for). I did a run of DeltaZeal and got an achievement unlocked for triggering this:

I suspect it's something to do with the order of which I've killed the enemies that come in from both sides of the screen in pairs combined with the way of killing the first green popcorns, or maybe even autofire-related, but I can't consistently trigger it. Saved a replay of it though, and ALOEsan's 584,860pt run for DeltaZeal Stage 1 also triggers it (he's currently at #4 for that set of leaderboards too).
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I watched the #1 replay live when I first got the pack, and I think mtume said it had to do with killing the first set of enemies quickly. I'm sure if you ask him, he knows how to trigger it :lol:
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

I guess between the time I was on IRC last, posting that, and posting now he may have figured it out. I'll be sure to ask later on.

EDIT: Another interesting thing I learnt. If you fire up Stage 4 Score Attack on DeltaZeal, it provides an alternate take off scene instead of the normal one seen when playing a full run (and when playing G2020). Big green submarine appears from the top, some birds fly past, and then your ship gets pulled out of a tube and takes off on its own thrusters like a badass! :D

EDIT2: Video of the red thing in stage 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IdOa2au ... e=youtu.be
Sorry about shit quality, mobile phone.
VixyNyan

Post by VixyNyan »

I think I kinda figured out how to summon that red ship slightly more consistent, but I should explain it a bit first...

First, a video showing my kusoplay~ :lol: (60fps version)
(I guess I should have bombed there, haha...)

OK, some details to discuss further about this.

The translation of the associated achievement in the X360 version goes like this:
"DeltaZeal: At the beginning of Stage 1, defeat enemies from right and left at some timing."

First, you should destroy the very first enemies that appear from the top "fast enough" so that in the next segment, 6 new enemies will appear from the left and right side, not 4 or 8 of that type. You have to shoot them at a specific time frame.

Something I was thinking about (if it had any effect at all or not), is the coloring of the stage background, the clouds. Look closely. If you destroy those 6 enemies at the point when the color of the clouds is a bit brighter than usual, hopefully the red ship appears. This can be examined and discussed further, but I hope that should explain it good enough. It could be either that or some other timing entirely. :oops:

I hope this tip is useful for this community.
Rebecca Loveheart - Love & Snuggles~ <3
[ TrueAchievements | PSN Profile | Youtube | LiveStreaming ]
Giest118: SDOJ is great and the port will also be great.
moh: play games. they're fun.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

My run didn't even kill all of the green popcorns at the beginning when I triggered it by accident though. Still can't seem to get the timing right either.

Still, gives us a lead. Thanks VixyNyan, I expect to see some scores from you soon. ;)
VixyNyan

Post by VixyNyan »

BPzeBanshee wrote:My run didn't even kill all of the green popcorns at the beginning when I triggered it by accident though. Still can't seem to get the timing right either.
Well you don't have to necessarily kill "all" of them, but there is a time-frame you have to be within to make the red ship appear.
The clouds in the background might be an indicator as to how much time you have to do the requirements.
It's kind of a rhythm with the timing, when you are killing the enemies coming from the left and right side.

Also I do have replays in the leaderboards of XIIZeal and DeltaZeal you can watch and judge. :oops:
Rebecca Loveheart - Love & Snuggles~ <3
[ TrueAchievements | PSN Profile | Youtube | LiveStreaming ]
Giest118: SDOJ is great and the port will also be great.
moh: play games. they're fun.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Yeah, I watched the replay on the leaderboard as well. With requirements unusually more obtuse like these it's no wonder even mtume has yet to trigger it.

I gather you unlocked all the later stages just creditfeeding through (no 1cc requirement)?
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

BPzeBanshee wrote:- I believe the requirements for getting to Stage 3-B may involve going through the correct segments and not dying in Stage 2, but I am unsure.
After destroying the stage 2 boss, being on the left side of the screen will send you to 3-A, right side to 3-B. Same for the stage 4 boss and 5-A/5-B. I found that the B-routes gave more points and were easier for survival.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Thanks NTSC-J, it's been a while since that post though, and mtume figured it out about a week before G-Stream's appearance on STGWeekly last month. ;)

I have noticed the timing for the Stage 5-A/5-B transition is different however. At first I thought the screen wasn't being divided accurately into even halves: then I noticed the actual choice is 'locked in' well before your ship takes off to the top of the screen, so you have to be *real quick* about your choice.
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

So the score medals appear to be worth 500 points plus whatever their chain value is. 10pt. medals are actually worth 510 and so on.

Also, regarding the Stage 5B boss, I tried the trick demonstrated on mtume's STGWeekly replay, where bombing the boss immediately as it appears forces it off-screen for a bit. This was the result...the boss decides to go somewhere else for a while.

From the bomb drop, a bunch of medals appear even though no void bomb has been dropped, not sure where the majority of them are coming from. This could turn out to be a big score boost if done well. On my current 3,338,120 score on Xbox Live, the boss didn't derp out as much.
BPzeBanshee wrote:At first I thought the screen wasn't being divided accurately into even halves: then I noticed the actual choice is 'locked in' well before your ship takes off to the top of the screen, so you have to be *real quick* about your choice.
A good guide for getting yourself into position is to do so before the "Stage Clear" BGM starts playing. I know I screwed up a run because of this.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

I thought I was seeing some weird figures when I was getting medals but couldn't figure it out exactly. If this is the case in both G-Stream and AZeal no wonder folks are able to get upwards of 7 mil.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

VixyNyan wrote:First, you should destroy the very first enemies that appear from the top "fast enough" so that in the next segment, 6 new enemies will appear from the left and right side, not 4 or 8 of that type. You have to shoot them at a specific time frame.
This is not correct, I once got the red ship after only killing 4 of the guys with the 4 way arse spread shot. So I think it has more to do with the initial small enemies that come in and sweep off.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Knowing what G-Stream uses for its other obtuse secrets (A/B stage transition come to mind) maybe it's a matter of position. I can't recall off the top of my head exactly where I was positioned at the beginning but it could be an influence too. Just shooting ideas though.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

Also, correct me if I am wrong:

Stages with multiple paths: 1, 2, 4 only. The rest are linear unless I am missing something.

And another thing. In the port to me it seems that the powerups always cycle through R, B, G in terms of what they are when they appear and always cycle through R, G, B after they spawned.

Ideally I think we should make a new thread for DeltaZeal, because for all we know it differs in certain aspects.

And: I AM COMING FOR YOU, BP! :D (ptgj) EDIT: aaaaaaaaaaaaand gotcha :D
railslave

Post by railslave »

Im not 100 % sure if this has been already posted, but i figured you guys might go crazy for this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwybFSjA03I

some of the blurb

"Thanks to Toshiaki Fujino, a really nice guy and the Triangle programmer responsible for Shooting Love 200X and now Shooting Love 10th Anniversary, both on XBOX 360. We had a good time and I hope to meet him again next time I'm in Tokyo."

seems to me to be your Gstream.
Sorry if its the wrong thread, couldnt find the stg weekly one.
"When I get my hands on some money
I'll kiss it's green skin
And I'll ask it's dirty face
"Where the hell have you been?" - Michael Gira (Swans)
Hydeux

Post by Hydeux »

Does anyone know now how A or B version of stages 3 and 5 are triggered ?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Player on left half of the screen after you kill the boss is A stage.
Player on right half of the screen after you kill the boss is B stage.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Hydeux

Post by Hydeux »

Quite clear, thank you !
(Can't believe I haven't figured it out by myself...)
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

One thing I noticed in regards to this choice is the amount of time that it takes to decide is different on the Stage 4 end compared to the Stage 2 end, and from some of mtume's videos I suspect in the case of Stage 4 it may not be a perfect half. If you want 5-A make absolutely sure you're on the left side of the screen before the boss finishes exploding.
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

A 14mil replay of G-Stream was uploaded to niconico last week, with notes for Japanese readers. May be helpful as far as scoring routes are concerned.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22342915 Stages 1-3
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22343664 Stages 4-6
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22343878 Stage 7

Over 4mil scored on Stage 7 alone.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Great find, that might be a vid of the world record from R. , the record was only 12 million until recently. Will check it out shortly.

EDIT: Yes the player is R. and it is the new world record.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

:o So much for 9mil being the WR a year ago.

EDIT: mtume finally uploaded his other clear video of G-Stream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VuPeekdn3A

Nothing on this R. chap but good to see more videos of the game up. With the respective permission of mtume I may try and upload the raw videos to Mediafire as an alternate download once my internet goes back to normal since YouTube seemed to butcher the quality.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

trap15 wrote: Stage 1 Breakdown
  • Special Segments
    • Segment 0
      • Description: Large plane that fires 8 shots in a "burst" pattern.
      • Requirements: (None)
    • Segment 1
      • Description: 5 planes that shoot streams of bullets
      • Requirements: Unknown (involves killing Segment 0 at a certain time?)
    • Segment 2
      • Description: 2 "cannon" planes
      • Requirements: Unknown (involves killing Segment 1 at a certain time?)
    • Segment 3
      • Description: 2 large "burst" planes
      • Requirements: Unknown (involves killing Segment 2 at a certain time?)
    • Segment 3.5
      • Description: 2 more large "burst" planes
      • Requirements: Unknown (involves killing Segment 3 at a certain time?)
    • Segment 4
      • Description: Large "rush" planes
      • Requirements: Unknown (involves killing Segment 3 (or 3.5) at a certain time?)
In ΔZEAL the transition to "Segment 1" seems to be triggered by NOT destroying the large plane in "Segment 0"
BPzeBanshee wrote:Reposted from the DeltaZeal/XIIZeal Shmups Chat thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdkIj1dlScM

We now have a stage showing all of the (significant) alternate segments of Stage 1. Nothing real new, unless there's something in the Japanese text that I can't read, but it shows that among other things the transition screen is different/more animated and the music's definitely 5% faster.
The video shows 4 different runs simultaneously on the same frame - [1 2 3 4].
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdkIj1dlScM#t=35

In run 1 there is no opportunity to get to "segment 1" as "segment 0" is bypassed in favor to the score friendly "route to the right" (not in this particular run but there are further branches than shown in the video).
Run 4 fails to enter "segment 1" as the large "segment 0" plane is destroyed too quickly.
Run 2 shows the surefire way to enter "segment 1" by NOT destroying the large "segment 0" plane.
Run 3 takes a risk for score - it manages to destroy the large "segment 0" plane just after the game commits to transition to "segment 1".

A little later run 3 has a low and slow enemy destruction rate so that it bypasses "segment 4" which run 2 does not miss.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Yeah, the breakdowns are almost completely wrong in some parts and haven't been updated. I've been meaning to rewrite the whole ST but I just don't have time or energy. :?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Skyline wrote:A 14mil replay of G-Stream was uploaded to niconico last week, with notes for Japanese readers. May be helpful as far as scoring routes are concerned.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22342915 Stages 1-3
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22343664 Stages 4-6
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22343878 Stage 7

Over 4mil scored on Stage 7 alone.
How did I miss this? Finally a G-Stream superplay! I don't know what I'm more amazed at, the careful shot item only collection, or the precise boss milking and medal fountains. Every bit as awesome as I thouhgt it would be. Glad this game is getting some much needed recognition.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Embarrasing for me, but i still dont get stage 1 routes; i mean how do you summon that ubership that acts like midboss with several forms, and later those propeller-shooting ships (and how to have them even without crazy one). I tried reading this thread and doing stuff (still not sure what's that "big ship" that i shouldnt kill in deltazeal or kill), even looked up videos/replays :oops: While other routes more understandable (left/right a/b stages, warning tanks, trains, submarines, red submarines etc), St1 route is just omg for me, i only had it 2 times randomly.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Assuming you're playing DeltaZeal rather than the original G2020 build, I never did figure out how to consistently trigger the midboss object but getting the propeller shooting ships is a matter of clearing the enemies on the screen after the set of popcorns that do the loop come out real fast.

I use the music as a queue and generally use a bomb to clear them - if it goes to the quieter part and the scrolling starts going left you've already failed, if you clear all the enemies in time it goes right instead.

EDIT: Van Arctic has a mirror of the nicovideo run split into parts on Youtube. Here's the stage 1-3a portion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcbK1WrxzLM
qmish

Post by qmish »

Yeah, Steam version.

I tried ~20 times, had no luck. Then suddenly i got it right once.

Also would like to know what influence there is from those "ships from left and right" who appear before "popcorn loop", i mean, you have them in different number - 4, 6 etc.
gs68

Post by gs68 »

How does maintaining medal chain after missing medals work? I've seen it in some G-Stream replays where they drop 1000-point medals several times with no penalty yet I'm not grasping the exact game logic behind what constitutes maintaining medal chain and knocking back down to "10"-point medals.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

There isn't, if you drop any medal you have to rebuild the chain. But it isn't "picked up value +1", it's "current value +1", so it's easy to rebuild.