[GD] 1-sissy Akai Katana Shin (Shin Mode)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Hydeux

[GD] 1-sissy Akai Katana Shin (Shin Mode)

Post by Hydeux »

As I explained earlier, I with some friends created "1-sissy" for our French site Shmup'em All. They're videos explaining how to clear easily a game, far away from the superplay videos we're used to ! We got more than 40 by now !

I've dubbed some in -rather poor- English :
Mushihimesama Futari BL
Karous
Gradius Rebirth
EspGaluda II Black Label
DDP DaiFukkatsu 1.5
Under Defeat
EsGaluda
Progear No Arashi
Toujou 13 : Ten Desires

And this time it's for Akai Katana Shin (Shin Mode).
I'm NOT the player on this run : Maxplante is. I must also mention Baboulinet, who encoded the video.
You'll find the video there (down the page) : http://shmupemall.com/?page_id=2942

Hope this may help some of you !
(And if you're interested : you'll find there all our other 1-sissies, but dubbed in French.)
Last edited by Hydeux on Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BulletMagnet

Re: [GD] 1-sissy Akai Katana Shin (Shin Mode)

Post by BulletMagnet »

Another great vid - and a tough one to commentate in one's non-primary language, considering how much technical stuff there is to cover! A few additional things I might have noted in the commentary:

1. When you've got a full "ninja gauge", enemies give up more of the "light green circles", as you call them - the player featured here pretty much always fills up his ninja meter first, then starts racking up "red circles".

2. At one point you say that "following" the katanas to collect the gold isn't necessary, because it's all sucked in to your plane automatically - this is true, but you get more points the closer you are to the gold when you collect it (similar to snagging gems in Mushi Futari), so it's definitely to your advantage to "cuddle" the swords, as I once semi-infamously labeled it. Or did I misunderstand you here?

Thanks again for keeping these coming!
Hydeux

Post by Hydeux »

Thanks !

1. I didn't know that ! :oops:

2. You're right on that as well, I should have mention it ! What I meant actually was "for survival, it's better not to follow them".
guigui

Post by guigui »

Very nice 1-sissy here Hydeux. It really looks like my runs, although I prefer to call them 1CC, just to say I can 1CC a Cave game !

Thanks to BulletMagnet for stressing the fact that you get more orbs when ninja meter is full, I didnt know that either. However it may be quite long to fill that ninja meter, so I dont know if it is a good idea for scoring to fill it first, especially considering the fact that you dont need it full to generate a lot of gold...

Now let me ask : how does the hit counter affect points earned by gold ? Is it really that important to keep hit counter high ? If yes, what is the best method to do so ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

It's basically impossible to lose your hit counter while using shot due to the way it raises, so as long as you don't laser for too long without using shot, you should be fine. However, I don't know what the hit counter affects... :oops:
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

trap15 wrote:However, I don't know what the hit counter affects... :oops:
Gold item value. The hit counter is a part of the base value, then proximity multiplies that value by a factor that appears to be x6 at max value. So maintaining your chain (using Shot in Figher form, and switching to Ninja form), getting a huge chain (by killing stuff, katana/orb bullet cancelling), getting lots of katanas quickly (by pointblanking with Shot in Fighter form for blue orbs), and going pointblank as they're chopping through stuff, are the main factors in scoring decently in Shin Mode.
Last edited by Icarus on Thu May 10, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Thanks for the advices Icarus.

Now I seem to loose my chain while in ninja mode, waiting for a good opportunity to launch Katanas. How to keep the chain while in ninja mode ?

Also, what actually count as chaining : firing normal shot at enemies, or collectiong blue orbs ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

guigui wrote:Now I seem to loose my chain while in ninja mode, waiting for a good opportunity to launch Katanas. How to keep the chain while in ninja mode ?
The rate of chain bar decrease while in Ninja Mode is slower than in Fighter Mode, but you should only shift into Ninja Mode if your chaining bar is pretty high, for fairly obvious reasons.
To maintain your chaining gauge, the usual "destroy enemies" counts in either mode, hitting stuff with Shot in Fighter Mode, launching orbs and katanas, and also cancelling bullets with them.
To build a higher hit count, destroy stuff in either mode, and cancel bullets with orbs and katanas.
To efficiently cash in your hit count, you need a lot of katanas - remember that each katana will generate a stream of gold when it cuts through something, so pointblanking everything in Fighter Mode with Shot (preferably with a full ninja power bar where possible for faster orb generation), then cashing in the orbs in Ninja Mode (and generating a few more katanas where required) and throwing the katanas against larger, more resilient enemies, large groups of small enemies, and large clumps of bullets, is the correct procedure.
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

So point blanking first, then ninja gauge, then scoring points. Righto then.
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
guigui

Post by guigui »

Thanks for the infos Icarus.

Sorry about talking strategy in your 1-sissy thread Hydeux, I know this is not the correct place. Why isn't there an ST thread for Akai Katana anyway ?
Hydeux

Post by Hydeux »

guigui wrote:Sorry about talking strategy in your 1-sissy thread Hydeux, I know this is not the correct place.
You're welcome ! The goal is to help people playing the gama by the way.
Xeno

Post by Xeno »

Can you do 1-sissy of mushihimesama original?
"I will not die until I achieve something.
Even though the ideal is high, I never give in.
Therefore, I never die with regrets." 1CC
Hydeux

Post by Hydeux »

I will, but I'm still waiting for my 360 port... (much better to make a vid ! and anyway, I never managed to record properly from my PS2 : colours are always weird, don't know why...)
shaowebb

Post by shaowebb »

Right now on Neogaf (and for sometime) there has been a competition. First person to get 200 million in Origin mode for this game will get the limited edition artbook free as a prize. I am nowhere near this. I keep blowing it with laser patterns and losing it all. It sucks mistiming that bullet clearing laser to get knocked back to ship form with no meter. :(

Heres hoping I get some grind time in too so I can memorize some pro play patterns.
DEL

Post by DEL »

Quick question: I've downloaded the content from the code that came with the game. What does it do? Some extra Mode like Matsuri Mode on Pork for instance?
If so, which icon do I click?
This is a very Japanese-centric title.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

It's just a voice pack thing. It'll automatically be enabled. You should notice a lot more talking in-game, particularly during boss fights.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
DEL

Post by DEL »

Thank you trap15 8)
Mad Grab

Post by Mad Grab »

I am not that good at games, these vids really help thanks!