RQ: avoiding traps?

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
finisherr

RQ: avoiding traps?

Post by finisherr »

I'd like to know if there is an easier way to learn how to avoid traps besides trial end error/repetition of level play. Typically in bullet hell there aren't many traps in the first and second levels. If you have some degree of skill you can simply dodge bullets. However, after a certain point (typically after stage 2) more traps seem to emerge. If your ship or character is located in a certain portion of the screen at certain points in the level, there is simply no way to avoid the bullet fire due to impenetrable bullet density. I find these parts of the game to get kind of tedious; It takes me many plays until I can figure out some sort of general route that will create tiny holes in the bullet fire that will allow me to get through unscathed.

If there are any techniques that I can use to discover safe routes I'd definitely like to know about them. In other words, what is an easier method of learning to avoid traps?

(Mod edit - changed thread title in accordance with strategy section guidelines)
RNGmaster

Re: RQ: avoiding traps?

Post by RNGmaster »

Don't play Guilty Gear XX, and don't fap to the Stage 6 boss of Pink Sweets.

Oh, you're talking about that other kind of trap. I'd suggest the incredible combination of using savestates for practice and carefully studying pro replays.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Yeah, watch some high level replays. And then some more. And then even more. Don't listen to people who tell it's cheap or cheating. You're just saving yourself a lot of time.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Learn to herd the bullets. Go to one corner of the screen, stay there until all aimed bullets are approaching and slowly tap to the other side while destroying the enemies. This is a common technique used in bullet hell games and gives you lots of space.

As you're approaching the other corner of the screen, you make a sudden movement upwards. This creates a hole in the bullet stream just big enough for you to go through and go back to the other side of the screen.

Bullet hell isn't about dodging bullets with superhuman skills, it's about managing them. Keep that in mind.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Ruldra wrote:Learn to herd the bullets. Go to one corner of the screen, stay there until all aimed bullets are approaching and slowly tap to the other side while destroying the enemies. This is a common technique used in bullet hell games and gives you lots of space.

As you're approaching the other corner of the screen, you make a sudden movement upwards. This creates a hole in the bullet stream just big enough for you to go through and go back to the other side of the screen.

Bullet hell isn't about dodging bullets with superhuman skills, it's about managing them. Keep that in mind.
Cool thanks. I knew there had to be some common techniques out there for this.
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

What games are you playing, and what parts are you stuck on? It helps us much more to hear specifics than to hear generalizations.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

RNGmaster wrote:What games are you playing, and what parts are you stuck on? It helps us much more to hear specifics than to hear generalizations.
well, right now i'm feeling out stage 3 of DDP DOJ. but, i was kinda hoping for general techniques that seem to work across multiple games versus specifics for a singular game. nonetheless, all advice is welcome.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

For DOJ (and pretty much every bullet hell shooter), you need to know exactly where your ship hitbox is. You'll only die if a bullet makes contact with the hitbox - so you're safe if the bullet hit anywhere else. When you know this, you become much more confident in dodging - and also stop wasting bombs in easy patterns.

DOJ hitboxes:

You should also know that some bullets have their own hitbox. The large, blue bullets you see a lot in stage 3 actually have a small hitbox. You can safely scrape the side of them with impunity.

That's all I can think of for now. Go and practice.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Ruldra wrote:For DOJ (and pretty much every bullet hell shooter), you need to know exactly where your ship hitbox is. You'll only die if a bullet makes contact with the hitbox - so you're safe if the bullet hit anywhere else. When you know this, you become much more confident in dodging - and also stop wasting bombs in easy patterns.

DOJ hitboxes:

You should also know that some bullets have their own hitbox. The large, blue bullets you see a lot in stage 3 actually have a small hitbox. You can safely scrape the side of them with impunity.

That's all I can think of for now. Go and practice.
This isn't a technique. It's also fairly common knowledge. You might as well have just said, "In order to dodge bullet, you dodge bullets."
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

finisherr wrote:
This isn't a technique. It's also fairly common knowledge. You might as well have just said, "In order to dodge bullet, you dodge bullets."
Hitbox-related technique - don't get into a situation where you need to rely on your tiny hitbox. Unless you're playing Psyvariar, it's not necessary to scrape everything you come across.
ncp

Post by ncp »

finisherr wrote:This isn't a technique. It's also fairly common knowledge. You might as well have just said, "In order to dodge bullet, you dodge bullets."
I don't know what you expected since you basically made a thread that is basically "how do i play shooting games?!"
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

ncp wrote:
finisherr wrote:This isn't a technique. It's also fairly common knowledge. You might as well have just said, "In order to dodge bullet, you dodge bullets."
I don't know what you expected since you basically made a thread that is basically "how do i play shooting games?!"
Ruldra did give me some good advice in the first response. It isn't farfetched to presume that their are techniques that can be used across multiple bullet hell games. In fact, I did clearly state what I expected in this thread, so I'm not exactly sure why you are so utterly confused.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

In all fairness, Ruldra is giving some very good advice to beginners, I don't think you can ignore one of them just because you think it's obvious.
Of course I agree with RNGmaster that you shouldn't base your playing method on being able to scrape bullets - pretending most of the ship is a hitbox will keep you safe, but once the patterns start getting really dense it's obviously important to know where it is.
Siren2011
Banned User

Post by Siren2011 »

don't fap to the Stage 6 boss of Pink Sweets.
Lol. You just know there's that one guy who has insane enough reflexes to fap with one hand and play the vidya with the other. Oh yeah, he's out there all right.
"Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die. Trapped in a moe~ existence"