RQ: Musha "Hard" mode help

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
mouser

RQ: Musha "Hard" mode help

Post by mouser »

Okay, I 1CC'd Musha on Normal pretty quickly, so I decided to jump to Hard mode, thinking I'm hot stuff....but...no :oops:

Besides some general tips with sub-weapons/option formations, any advice on the following parts would be appreciated:

• Stage 5 & 6 turret sections
• Stage 7 second sub-boss (the orange one that shoots homing missiles)
• Dealing with homing missiles in general

My default option formation is "Reverse" but it seems for the turret sections my best bet is switching to Free mode, though it eats up a good chunk of extra option lives....could really use a more consistent, reliable tactic.

I know from a youtube video I saw the Stage 7 sub-boss can be sucked in by the "black hole" lvl4 missile upgrade, but assuming I don't have it, what should I do?

EDIT: Figured out the Stage 7 subboss, switch options to "Reverse" and stay at the sub-boss' side, when homing missiles fire, sway away and dodge as necessary. Can be achieved even without a sub-weapon, though switch the movement speed to highest for this specific boss.
toaplan_shmupfan

Re: RQ: Musha "Hard" mode help

Post by toaplan_shmupfan »

In most cases, the best defense against the much faster cruise missiles fired by the enemies is Forward formation plus the green laser either arm level 3 or level 4.

For the turrets, the same thing works because all the shots are shootable despite being fired at that fast of the firing rate. Focus all firepower on the shots being fired from the nearest turret firing the shots. Just watch out for the occasional hovering robot looking things or the smaller ships that fire a small burst of four cruise missiles, those can't be ignored so an occasional side movement away from the turrets is necessary now and then. If for some reason a hit occurs by any turret shot or cruise missile then grab ANY available secondary weapon powerup (blue, red, or green) to avoid the risk of losing a turn by getting hit without a secondary weapon.

Be aware that losing a turn with the stage 5 turrets is bad news--on a bad day I've gone through 3 consecutive turns trying to get out of the stage 5 section with the three turret firing platforms after losing one turn close to the the start of that section. That left me starting stage 6 with only one more turn in reserve.

Still haven't 1cc'd Hard yet.
mouser

Re: RQ: Musha "Hard" mode help

Post by mouser »

Thanks, I'll give the Forward formation a go! Pretty sure if I could just pass those turret sections without dying, a 1CC is within reach.

Just in case anyone else didn't know, some small discoveries:

-I did notice the huge turrets on Stage 5 that shoot the giant beams can be touched, it's only the beams themselves that do damage. I found getting rid of them early enough makes the turret sections much easier.
-I believe for the Musha Aleste's hitbox, it's everything except the legs, so it's sort of a square hitbox.
-The final boss' first form's bouncing pinball has an awkward hitbox...sometimes you can touch it, but sometimes the slightest touch damages. Weird...