GD: Akai Katana arcade/Xbox 360 arcade mode

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
prismra

Re: GD: Akai Katana arcade/Xbox 360 arcade mode

Post by prismra »

Is it only certain bullets that reflect? They just go right though the shield for me even when I'm not firing.
deexor

Post by deexor »

Has anyone found out how the end bonus is calculated? It could be useful to know for balacing risk/reward for the final boss fight, as you get a 0 bonus if you die there. I've tried to deduce it from replay videos, but it's kind of hard.

My best bet so far is 3 million for clearing, 7 million per non-laser-damaged life, and 2 million per bomb, with some extra points if the current life has laser damage. This might be a little off, but is in the right ballpark.

In some replays the player takes a laser hit or two, but the life bar is still full - these seem to count as a full 7-million life.
GAME OVER
Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

Can someone please confirm what the Arcade Mode actually is on the 360 version (region free version that is).

I'm liking this game but only getting to the stage 3 boss on one credit at the moment as I am concentrating on scoring as I go through. Would be good to have a score board up here if possible.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Origin mode is the arcade mode. Out of the three modes, it's the only one that is not in widescreen, because the original arcade aspect ratio was 4:3. It might have a bit less slowdown than the arcade PCB, but nothing unmanageable or game-breaking (especially compared to Deathsmiles which generally has more slowdown and no sustained invulnerability abilities other than bombing or the initial bullet cancel from activating PowerUp mode).
zlk

Post by zlk »

In arcade mode, one extremely useful tip works with the "C" type player: Get your orb close to an enemy, hold "C" down and tap "A" slowly. I actually hold "A" and "C" until I see one energy orb form and then hit the "A" button every 1/2 a second. This will force a ton of energy orbs to form. If you tap "A" too fast, this will not happen. Thanks go out to softdrink and iconoclast for telling me about this.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Nesicaa WR holder NAT has posted a guide for Akai Katana Shin - it's clearly about the Arcade port, but I expect it's broadly applicable to the console version as well. In Japanese, but worth running through translate.

https://stg44118260.hatenablog.com/entr ... /12/155309 (archive)
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS