ST: Battle Garegga (20.7.14 - edits, record replays list)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Gibberish

Re: ST: Battle Garegga (15.09.10 - st6+7 edits)

Post by Gibberish »

Awesome, thanks for the help guys.

One last thing, I didn't see this in the guide, I assume the Mahou ships are available in the arcade version but how to you unlock them?
I didn't see anything in the dipswitches that would point to unlocking them, is it basically a cheat that has to be activated?
TLB

Post by TLB »

Gibberish wrote:Awesome, thanks for the help guys.

One last thing, I didn't see this in the guide, I assume the Mahou ships are available in the arcade version but how to you unlock them?
I didn't see anything in the dipswitches that would point to unlocking them, is it basically a cheat that has to be activated?
STEP 1: insert credit

STEP 2: carefully enter "up up down down left right left right a b c start", aka "UUDDLRLRABC-START"

STEP 3: winning
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Just a little tip that will make the hardest part of the game (aside from BH2) more manegable:
at the last stretch of stage 6, just after the three bigger pain-in-the-ass tanks roll out from the left, focus on destroying the hatches on the right first and foremost as they will spawn the blue turreted tanks that spew out bullets.
Take care of this and you'll have made a very hard stretch a lot easier.
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Doublepost from hell!
Discovered something i guess a lot of people already know.
The laser turrets in stage 6 actually have two destroyable forms. Both will give you 50k.
This is why you see the jap. players bombing them twice.
Didn't see this mentioned in the guide.

edit:
Question for anyone who knows;
Do you need to destroy the sixth boss's arms with options to get 10k or can you destroy them with piercing too?
Image Image
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Eaglet from the hi-score thread wrote:Now get in the Strategy-thread and explain how one goes about to get 50x2k from the laser turrets!
I never really performed this trick consistently - I understand that one has to shoot a weapon attack against the barrels first, then shoot another weapon attack against the main body. Plus, I recall that anything works on Junky Monkey's mechanic arms. Does anyone use options only, in the available replays?

Icarus, you certainly know, don't you?
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Randorama wrote: I never really performed this trick consistently - I understand that one has to shoot a weapon attack against the barrels first, then shoot another weapon attack against the main body.
I just realised that it might have something to do with the small part between the two barrels?!
Gonna try this out as soon as i can (should be Wednesday).
Randorama wrote:Plus, I recall that anything works on Junky Monkey's mechanic arms. Does anyone use options only, in the available replays?
Yeah, i tried it out myself and piercing gets you 10k too.
The confusion arose from this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqtU86hSfJg
which is pretty much the only Golden Bat replay i've seen. :P
I guess he was either optimising boss milking or just showing off with all the formation-spazzing.
Image Image
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

I can confirm that it doesn't matter how you kill the arms - they always give you 10k.
I never really performed this trick consistently - I understand that one has to shoot a weapon attack against the barrels first, then shoot another weapon attack against the main body. Plus, I recall that anything works on Junky Monkey's mechanic arms. Does anyone use options only, in the available replays?
To be honest, I've never heard about this trick before and I'm quite baffled to see that it apparently works. Just when you thought you know everything about Garegga, stuff like this happens! :shock:
If you guys find anything out on how it exactly works, please keep us updated here! Right now, it doesn't make too much sense for me...

What an awesome game! :D
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Taken from an old machine translation of the Garegga Handbook I have on my hard drive:
* The pole it is thick the laser artillery
4 the pole where it is arranged thickly the laser artillery, when you break with the weapon, is 50000 points in the board in 6 aspects. Because this artillery produces the option item, when homing has been trained, in order not to take this, please note.

In addition, when the damage the above uniformity is given when this artillery only one part has been indicated in inside the picture, one time artillery is done the thing and everyone who are broken, score enters, durable value of the artillery is reset. But because on the picture the artillery has not been broken, when after that the damage is given, it is possible already 1 time to break. If this it does also 2 times with the weapon, it is possible to take 2 50000 points with one laser artillery.
Because ("2 these 50000 points to take ", it is practiced 4 in the machine super play of the Saturn edition ガレッガ, reference)
Apparently, hitting a specific part of the turret will reset its durability - probably the center-part of the turret, not the gun ports. Either that, or it work in the same way as the car dealership building trick in stage 1 of Batrider, which is points-over-time based, and requires control of the damage you do with your Weapon.
Probably the best example to study isn't Kamui's Gain replays, but the Iron Mackerel replay on the Saturn disc.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

So you're supposed to "break" the turrets once with a bomb, making sure to reset its' durability and thereafter bomb it once more...
Your translation mentions a picture. Do you have this picture available?

Would be very nice BTW if we could get a proper translation of the Handbook up here.
Seems like there's a lot of useful knowledge in there.

Awesome that i got all of the Lords of Garegga to gather in this thread. :mrgreen:
Image Image
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

I've got a fairly simple question that I don't think has been answered thoroughly yet:

So you trigger the flamingoes by bombing the castle on stage 2 and continue to bomb the flock for as long as you can. For the life of me, though, I can't get a consistent score out of this though. Here's what I always do, and I end up with anywhere from 700k to 1500k points and can't figure out why.

1. Use Golden Bat
2. Upgrade to 2 options and level 3 shot as soon as available.
3. Collect as many bomb shells as possible, usually end up with 2 + change.
4. Bomb the castle when its bottom hits the bottom of the screen.

The number of flamingoes and the point yield seems to change, though. One thing I'm not consistent on is medaling or exactly when and where I hit the castle. Any help? Thanks!
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

You should bomb the castle as soon as the entirety of it is in view.
Waste an entire bomb on the castle (it is hypothesized that this increases the amount of birds that fly out and their value).
Bomb the birds and try to aim your flames to where there are the biggest flocks.

Oh yeah, you should have suicided both of your extra ships before this section, to gain an additional bomb.
The best i've had after the birds is 2,5 mil. Average is 2.

Check this shit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd4nL97NA0Y
Image Image
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Eaglet wrote:You should bomb the castle as soon as the entirety of it is in view.
Waste an entire bomb on the castle (it is hypothesized that this increases the amount of birds that fly out and their value).
Bomb the birds and try to aim your flames to where there are the biggest flocks.

Oh yeah, you should have suicided both of your extra ships before this section, to gain an additional bomb.
The best i've had after the birds is 2,5 mil. Average is 2.

Check this shit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd4nL97NA0Y
Nice! I've only gotten, at most, close to 2 mil but I've always felt that the score is inconsistent as well. Great explanation man! I'll try it out!
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Eaglet wrote:Would be very nice BTW if we could get a proper translation of the Handbook up here.
Once again, this guide is a translation of the Garegga Handbook (the same one which was online up until recently, and the same one that comes with both the The Madness Insanity DVD as a book, and on the Saturn disc as a bunch of web files). The primary difference is that this guide, after machine-translating the web version and rewriting it into readable English, adds more information and technique from various players including myself, and the biggest addition: rank system deconstruction and calculations.

So in essence, this is The Garegga Handbook ver1.5.

I've noticed people have been taking the framework I laid out for the guide, and are reusing it on their own ST threads. It's nice to know that this thread continues to inspire people in various ways, be it going on to clear Garegga, or formatting information on their favorite games for others to learn from. Mission Complete!
Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

Icarus wrote:
Eaglet wrote:Would be very nice BTW if we could get a proper translation of the Handbook up here.
Once again, this guide is a translation of the Garegga Handbook (the same one which was online up until recently, and the same one that comes with both the The Madness Insanity DVD as a book, and on the Saturn disc as a bunch of web files). The primary difference is that this guide, after machine-translating the web version and rewriting it into readable English, adds more information and technique from various players including myself, and the biggest addition: rank system deconstruction and calculations.

So in essence, this is The Garegga Handbook ver1.5.

I've noticed people have been taking the framework I laid out for the guide, and are reusing it on their own ST threads. It's nice to know that this thread continues to inspire people in various ways, be it going on to clear Garegga, or formatting information on their favorite games for others to learn from. Mission Complete!
I, Sir, salute you for this.

Now, if only a certain user would just take my money, a garegga pcb would be on its way to me... 8)
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Icarus:
Yeah, i realize this. It's great that us westerners have our own expanded strategy guide.
I would however like to read a perfect translation of the original one seeing as how the 50x2 bombing on the laser turrets hasn't been explained in english yet.
Image Image
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Still haven't managed to figure out exactly how the bombing of the turrets works but i did however realise something:
How important it is to keep your medal chain all throughout stage 6.

It sounds pretty self explanatory but the amount of lost points for a broken chain and much increased rank from picking up the lower value ones will greatly affect overall difficulty and lose you tons of points.
The nature of the stage (LOADS UPON LOADS OF ZAKO) makes fast medal increasing a chore.
I think there should be a note somewhere on just how important it is to keep the chain throughout.
Image Image
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Just some pieces of trivia for y'all...

Almost all of the obtuse high scoring tricks in Garegga where discovered by accident. Such as the suicide bombing of Mad Ball with Golden Bat.
But primarily the well known "Game Over"-trick with Gain, Chitta and Bornnam.
According to Kamui a couple of months after the games release one of the really early high-scorers playing Garegga (Gain) went up against Black Heart 2 and did all of the classic milking (bombing the grenades).
This time, something was different though; he was on his last life - let out a milking bomb and then because of some kind of accident he messed up and died.
The point counter scrolled over into the next letter before the Game Over screen appeared and he gained all of the extra power ups and bombs.

People where like "WTF" and it didn't take them long until they realised the same thing could be done in any place where a placed bomb earns you lots of points.
Such as the famous birds for an example.

And that was the story behind one of the most impressive shmup tricks ever.

8)

Oh yeah, the best a Golden Bat player (Demon Yamanaka, current WR) has ever had after the birds is either 2,9 or 3,1 mil. (can't remember if she said "ni-hyaku kyu-ju man" or "san-byaku ju man"...)
Image Image
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Eaglet wrote:Oh yeah, the best a Golden Bat player (Demon Yamanaka, current WR) has ever had after the birds is either 2,9 or 3,1 mil. (can't remember if she said "ni-hyaku kyu-ju man" or "san-byaku ju man"...)
:shock: Wow, I need to see that! Anyone got a video? :lol:
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Would also love to see one!
Erhune...? Maybe you can help us? :wink:

Gonna try something out whenever i get the time for some practice; Kamui taught me the timing for the double bombing of the laser turrets in stage 6.
Gonna do some research and make sure i get the exact timing down so y'all can try it out too.
Image Image
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

As a beginner to this game, would it make sense to refrain from collecting anything but bombs for the first 4-5 stages to keep the rank manageable for the end? Is this possible? Sorry if this was brought up before, but you know, this is a really long thread.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I'd typically collect the large powerups whenever they appear, and collect a couple options (but not too many). Try to stay away from the small powerups whenever possible though.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

In my opinion, the best (and most amusing) way of playing Garegga is scoring as hard as you can and use the extra lives for tricks, thereby decreasing the rank as a positive side effect.

However, if you just want a clear you should make sure to power up to the shot level that is before the level that increases rank the most and stay there.
Here's an example of a low rank low score clear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjaunQC1_t8
Image Image
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Eaglet wrote:In my opinion, the best (and most amusing) way of playing Garegga is scoring as hard as you can and use the extra lives for tricks, thereby decreasing the rank as a positive side effect.
At some point scoring as hard as you can will increase the rank beyond what extra lives would be able to offset. In terms of score vs. rank raw medaling and the three main boss tricks have always been the most optimal way clear this game if you want to keep it easier.

Here's a good demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2NG-xV6MgY
Almost 8 million, and that's with a suboptimal ship, no medaling in stages 6 and 7 whatsoever, and no BH2 grenade milking. Building up on this basic route with Golden Bat is perhaps the easiest way to get a letter score. Note that the density of later bosses' attacks remains pretty much the same as in the low score clear.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Perhaps, but i don't think rank management should be such a high priority unless you're going for a cheap complete.
So long as you don't do stupid stuff like bomb all the time, break your chain alot, pick up a lot of unnecessary power up icons etc. then rank should always be within managable levels.
Besides, higher rank is more fun. Keeps you on your toes. :)
Image Image
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

I'm not a scoring addict really. I've managed to get an extend or two in this game based mostly on medal chaining and scenery destruction, but I've noticed a huge jump in the rank when I do that, even with intentional suicides and average shot power/options. Basically, seems like you have to be REALLY GOOD at scoring to go hard. If you're just decent at scoring, you'll get raped...at least I do.

Not sure if I'm gonna get deep into this game just yet, but it seems pretty fun. It also looks like it has huge potential for mind bending frustration...ha.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Avoiding medal chain breaks and opening up all medal vaults are a very big factor in keeping the extend flow coming in. You should definitely max out the medal value on stage 2 to get lots of score on the first half of stage 3 and the entire stage 4. Avoiding chainbreaks should be an absolute priority since keeping the chain intact at max value has virtually no impact on rank while restarting it makes for a notable increase.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Do or die huh?
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Can anyone point to some videos of the proper Madball bomb technique, as described by Icarus/Plasmo in the guide? Preferrably with Golden Bat or Gain...

EDIT: n/m, the bornham video linked in the index makes it pretty clear!
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

The timing for Mad Ball is incredibly hard with Golden Bat.
You're supposed to suicide pretty much at the same time as the main turrets are retracting, then put yourself on top of the boss and time your bomb so that all the main turrets get destroyed right before they are fully extended again.

Super hard timing but i've gotten as much as 850k from it. Very lucky with the timing that time though.
Image Image
dinosaurjerk

Post by dinosaurjerk »

can someone post a shmupmame 3.0b compatible savestate at the title screen or character selet screen with the Mahou characters enabled? 3.0b seems to want to work on my computer now for some reason ? but the code isn't working, unless i'm doing it wrong [which i might be, i'm raeallly stupid] iirc it's up up down down left right left right button 1 2 3 after you instert a coin?
RIP TEAM FORKS AND MY AMAZING 18TH PLACE SHMUP PLACING, BUT I'M LEAVING THE SIG IMAGE ANYWAY
oops my sig imagine got replaced with an itunes ad