RQ Star Soldier

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Platypus[gEc]

RQ Star Soldier

Post by Platypus[gEc] »

Pretty self-explanatory question this... i'm talking about the Cube remake. I'm firing away happily but with very varieing results, so i must be doing something wrong some of the time (ok, ok, MOST of the time).

There apear to be some hints in the booklet, but that being in japanese ... yeah...

Any advice is welcome. Really, any advice...
Last edited by Platypus[gEc] on Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fl0w

Post by fl0w »

Thank you for bringing Star Soldier to the light of this forum!

Sometimes the game behaves mysteriously. Unfortunately, I too can't read Japanese, and no FAQ/guide exists AFAIK.

Well, here are some pieces of information:
  • P items power up your gun, up to 5 bullets at the same time;
    Then each P will behave as a smart bomb.
    Z items give bonus points. Inside a level, each Z give twice as many points as the previous one.
    L gives you a powerful laser. AFAIK you can't go back to bullets, except when you die.
    There's another item (S ? I can't remember) which immediately gives you the 5 bullets.
    To shoot, you can madly pump the button, or keep it pressed, but then your shots are less powerful.
    The second weapons, as you've probably guessed ;), is very powerful (though short-ranged) and can destroy bullets.
    Hidden items (Z, L...) can only be obtained with the secondary weapon.
    Medium bosses can be killed quickly for a greater bonus.
and some questions:
  • When you have max power (5 bullets) you have little satellites that protect you. Sometimes when you're hit, one of your weapons vanishes. I can't precisely describe how things work here.
    When you've lost some of your weapons, sometimes taking a P will launch a smart bomb, but you can't power up your gun. Sometimes not. I've read in the FAQ for the original version of Star Soldier that this has something to do with the music...???
    Sometimes when you shoot an enemy, you have a smokey thing that appears, I don't know what it is.
    I don't know how to unlock the omakes.
Feel free to help us :)
Boss strategies are welcome.

--
fl0w