GD: Cho Ren Sha 68K

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Vetus

Re: GD: Cho Ren Sha 68K

Post by Vetus »

All right! Now it works fine. Thanks a lot. Now I can finally enjoy the game. :D
heisenbergman

Post by heisenbergman »

Great game... but has anyone had any problems with the screen flickering when playing the game?

I don't know why mine does. It hurts my eyes.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

What are you playing it on? You have to run it in compatibility mode on newer versions of Windows to avoid music issues... have you tried that? I've not had any serious screen flickering in Windows XP, though.
heisenbergman

Post by heisenbergman »

I'm running it on Windows 7 and I've tried to fiddle with the compatibility options a lot already but to no avail.

fwiw, I'm not having problems with the audio.

Is it possible that the game is really made to be slightly flickery/jittery like old PCs and I'm just sensitive towards it? Or are the graphics smooth on all your machines?
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

heisenbergman wrote:I'm running it on Windows 7 and I've tried to fiddle with the compatibility options a lot already but to no avail.

fwiw, I'm not having problems with the audio.

Is it possible that the game is really made to be slightly flickery/jittery like old PCs and I'm just sensitive towards it? Or are the graphics smooth on all your machines?
Have you tried redownloading it? Maybe one of the files got corrupted and just needs a fresh unzip to fix it. At the moment I can't pinpoint the best solution since it works perfectly fine on both of my windows 7 machines with the OS compatibility adjustment.
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
heisenbergman

Post by heisenbergman »

Unfortunately, I've tried downloading it from five different locations and it's still flickery/jittery.
heisenbergman

Post by heisenbergman »

The problem is definitely with my machine. I downloaded the game on my wife's laptop and it worked perfectly fine.

Hm.

I'll try reinstalling my graphics drivers.

EDIT: Wow... I reinstalled my drivers, updating from the latest official release to the latest beta release... and things worked fine O_o
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

You know how the two boss ships on stage 1 fire those massive yellow energy balls only once? it looks like if one of the balls hits the opposing boss ship it gets destroyed!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

That's actually pretty well-known as far as I know. It's a quick way to score a kill, and it's the only case I know of in a shmup where you can get enemies to shoot themselves (without you actually reflecting their attacks with a shield).

There's also a set of extra enemies you can activate in stage 1 if you speedkill the enemies at 0:47.
Those "angelic" enemies [after the stage 1 boss] will appear if you break the previous two big enemies quickly. Please try.
oboewan42

Post by oboewan42 »

heisenbergman wrote:Great game... but has anyone had any problems with the screen flickering when playing the game?

I don't know why mine does. It hurts my eyes.
Just found a fix for it!

Download Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit, turn on Win95 compatibility mode and "IgnoreHungAppPaint".

I'll post a more detailed guide later if I have the time.
i'm bad at video games
okerlo

Post by okerlo »

Anyone still playing?
I just started playing the game and I'm trying to master the trick where you fly into the powerups and stay there for some seconds so that you get all three powerups at once. It really sounds easier than it is :lol:

Greetings

edit:
Does anyone else have/had sound-problems with the game?
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

okerlo wrote:Anyone still playing?
I just started playing the game and I'm trying to master the trick where you fly into the powerups and stay there for some seconds so that you get all three powerups at once. It really sounds easier than it is :lol:

Greetings

edit:
Greetings, I'm working on a hard mode 2-all of this myself.

I used to have sound issues, but I put it in compatibility mode for Windows 95 and it started working great. Hope that helps.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Yeah, it doesn't play nice with modern versions of Windows, but runs just fine once it's set to run in compatibility mode for Win95.
okerlo

Post by okerlo »

Squire Grooktook wrote:
okerlo wrote:Anyone still playing?

Greetings

edit:
Greetings, I'm working on a hard mode 2-all of this myself.

I used to have sound issues, but I put it in compatibility mode for Windows 95 and it started working great. Hope that helps.
That worked perfectly, thank you!

Greetings
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

I've been using Windows 98 compatibility mode, and it seems fine, but I have Windows 7
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Has anyone translated this page? I can get the general gist of what it's saying through Google Translate, but it'd be nice to have a proper translation.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

^

Blackoak has done it. Here you go.

http://shmuplations.com/chorensha68k/

I also wrote this retrospective quite a few years back if that helps anyone.

http://www.rgcd.co.uk/2011/10/cho-ren-s ... 68000.html
Iori Branford

Post by Iori Branford »

On Stage 2-0 I accidentally paused and hit some other button combination to trigger instant Game Over. I couldn't do it again after I started a new game. Can anyone explain?
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

Iori Branford wrote:On Stage 2-0 I accidentally paused and hit some other button combination to trigger instant Game Over. I couldn't do it again after I started a new game. Can anyone explain?
This happened to me recently. If you press "q" and "w" at the same time you automatically game over. Since "q" and "1" are both pause buttons, it can be easy to accidentally mash the "w" key as well in a dicey situation. A bit of an oversight in an otherwise fantastic game.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
uroko-sakanabito

Post by uroko-sakanabito »

https://100retroshock100.wordpress.com/ ... l-version/

be sure to avoid this!
Aside from the crazy price its not with permission from Famibe ! (He did confirm that on twitter)
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

So they took the image of a freeware game from the creator's website, burned it to a floppy, and are trying to sell it for 70 euros without even including shipping? Yeah, no thanks.

On another note, what's Famibe's Twitter handle?
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
uroko-sakanabito

yosshin4004
Deathx

Post by Deathx »

"We would also like to devolve this profit to the original owner, if he’d like to get in touch with us. By today, this is a bootleg version (even if there’s no a real release out there)"
Shipping IS Included.

If you'd like to talk shit, at least be sure on what you are saying.
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

My guy. It's not so much "talking shit" as it is just making a reasonable observation. Even if shipping is included and they express interest in working with the original developer, this is still silly. They're trying to sell someone else's freeware game for an exorbitant amount of money before clearing it with them. This definitely goes beyond just selling fan products such as ship models.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Deathx wrote:"We would also like to devolve this profit to the original owner, if he’d like to get in touch with us. By today, this is a bootleg version (even if there’s no a real release out there)"
Shipping IS Included.

If you'd like to talk shit, at least be sure on what you are saying.
When I viewed the link originally it explicitly said "Shipping NOT included" - looks like they've changed that to "Shipping IS included," which is less ridiculous, but it's still a bootleg floppy of a freeware game. Also, what Square_Air said.

By the way, the box art appears to be an edited version of this.
uroko-sakanabito wrote:yosshin4004
Many thanks!
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Deathx

Post by Deathx »

Square_Air wrote:My guy. It's not so much "talking shit" as it is just making a reasonable observation. Even if shipping is included and they express interest in working with the original developer, this is still silly. They're trying to sell someone else's freeware game for an exorbitant amount of money before clearing it with them. This definitely goes beyond just selling fan products such as ship models.
I don't know, i like the idea. Yes the game is free, i have a copy for my sharp, but wouldn't be nice to have a box, a manual, a disk with a label.. instead of just having a burned disk by your own? I think you are paying for the job not the game itself (wich yes, looks included and that's not a good thing), but if i care my colletor's side i will probably bought that, and i'm sure many will do.
uroko-sakanabito

oh there happend a bit since yesterday;

- Facebook page got deleted,
- Shipping now is included,
- "We would also like to devolve this profit to the original owner, if he’d like to get in touch with us. By today, this is a bootleg version (even if there’s no a real release out there)" was added.

For me the best part is; Limited to #50 pcs (due to hard to find brand new floppy disks)

There where also at least 4 different ChoRenSha releases pre and at the comiket market or via mailorder...
uroko-sakanabito

I do not give any permission to ChoRenSha 68K package released from 100RetroShock for the following reasons. - They made everything without permission. And I do not know the contents of the package so far. - In this package, others' artwork is used without permission, and incomplete Japanese is included. - ChoRenSha 68K is still an active project. Future official releases and their packages may conflict. It is illegal if they sell this package. They say that they are ready to return profits to me, but I will never ask for it

-yosshin (via Twitter message)
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Trying to make money off a freeware game that doesn't belong to you, and using other people's artwork for the release.

What a seriously garbage human being.
blossom

Post by blossom »

What exactly was updated in the Windows 2017 release? Just compatibility with modern operating systems?