GD: Cho Ren Sha 68K

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Shepardus

Re: GD: Cho Ren Sha 68K

Post by Shepardus »

blossom wrote:What exactly was updated in the Windows 2017 release? Just compatibility with modern operating systems?
AFAIK it's just a compatibility update.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
blossom

Post by blossom »

Nice, thanks. I love how you've been there answering all my crazy questions this week.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

No problem. By the way, this is what the readme file says about the update history:
Spoiler
● 更新履歴

2017/05/23
・マルチコア環境でサウンドが壊れる問題を修正
・VS2015 でリビルド
Visual Studio 2015 Visual C++ 再頒布可能パッケージが必要になります。
https://www.microsoft.com/ja-jp/downloa ... x?id=48145

2005/08/20
・アーカイバの種類を EXE 形式から ZIP 形式に変更
・mxdrv.dll / X68Sound.dll の更新
・デスクトップのウィンドウ位置・サイズの復元に失敗するバグの修正
・ユーザーからの要望を受け、CONFIG モードに難易度セレクト機能を追加
(HARD = 3 周目相当)
・CONFIG モードからスコア初期化機能を削除
・ドキュメント内の URL およびメールアドレス修正

2001/09/12
・DirectDrawSurface の世代を一つ下げた
・DirectSound のプライマリバッファが使用出来ない環境では
セカンダリバッファを使うようにした
・マルチメディアタイマーの安定性向上
・サーフェスが復元できないバグを修正
・5面 6面 の BGM が、X68K 版と逆になっていたので訂正
・フレームレート調整機能を、F G H J キーに割り当てた

2001/08/22
・バグ調査用に APP_LOG.TXT を生成するようにした
・最適化コンパイルが OFF になっていたらしいので修正した

2001/08/08
・Windows 版の完成バージョン公開
Fed through Google translate (excuse the poor formatting), it says:
Spoiler
● Update history

2017/05/23
-Fixed a problem that sound is broken in multi-core environment.
・ Rebuild with VS2015
Visual Studio 2015 Visual C ++ redistributable package is required.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=48145

2005/08/20
-Changed the archiver type from EXE format to ZIP format
・ Update of mxdrv.dll / X68Sound.dll
-Fixed a bug that failed to restore the desktop window position and size
・ In response to user requests, added difficulty selection function to CONFIG mode
(HARD = equivalent to the third lap)
-Removed score initialization function from CONFIG mode
・ URL and e-mail address correction in the document

2001/09/12
・ Lowered the generation of DirectDrawSurface
・ In an environment where the primary buffer of DirectSound cannot be used
Use secondary buffer
・ Improved stability of multimedia timer
-Fixed a bug that the surface can not be restored
・ The 5th and 6th BGM was reversed from the X68K version.
-Frame rate adjustment function assigned to F G H J key

2001/08/22
・ App_LOG.TXT was generated for bug investigation.
・ The optimization compilation seems to have been turned off.

2001/08/08
・ Complete version release for Windows
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
blossom

Post by blossom »

Well, here's another question. How exactly do extends work in this game? There have been a few times where I break a million points and either I don't get an extend or it's in a later item carrier than expected.
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

blossom wrote:Well, here's another question. How exactly do extends work in this game? There have been a few times where I break a million points and either I don't get an extend or it's in a later item carrier than expected.
Every million points will spawn an extend in the next powerup triangle as long as you have a shield equipped when you destroy the carrier. The extend overwrites the shield spot as long as you already have it.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
blossom

Post by blossom »

Riiight, I forgot you need to have an active shield for the 1up to spawn. One of those things you learn about the game that I guess you kinda just forget about it as a requirement.
blossom

Post by blossom »

Back with another question - I've noticed the powerup ring will rotate at different speeds. It's much easier to pull off a triple with the slowest rotation. Is there some way to manipulate the rotation speed? Is it random?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I've 1CC'd the game a few times and never noticed there being any major differences from one powerup ring to the next in terms of their rotation speed. I do know that when you first destroy a powerup carrier, the ring spins a bit quickly for a second or so before it settles down into its normal speed it seems.

edit: I went and rewatched my clear and yeah, I guess there is a difference sometimes in terms of the rotation speed. It's never a massive speed variation and staying in the middle of them for the triple bonus doesn't ever become super difficult regardless of what speed you get (the hard part is not getting hit while doing a triple collection) so I guess I've never paid it much attention.

It's not something that you generally need to worry about enough that you'd need to deliberately control it, assuming there even is a way for the player to affect it. It could be rank, it could be #of powerup rings revealed (something like every 3rd ring is fast rotation), could be random, etc. The rotation speed of the ring isn't something that affects how you collect it that significantly so it's a neat curiosity but I wouldn't worry too much about trying to change your playstyle to deliberately affect the powerup rings since the more you play the game the more you'll get comfortable with manipulating the ring regardless of how fast it's spinning.
blossom

Post by blossom »

Once you get inside, the triple is the same each time, that much is true. Just hard to get inside when it's spinning the fastest, although I think I might get used to it over time.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

For anyone looking for an easy way to stream or record the game, the Windows version is really finicky about capture software however this program allows you to hook into exclusively fullscreen programs that rely on DirectX and force it to run windowed instead. I got it working in a few minutes easily and OBS Software captures the Window just fine as a Game Capture. Doesn't seem to add any input lag to the inputs or whatnot:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

Stupid question but how do you guys on controllers/sticks remap the controls of this game? I'm using a DS4 and it defaults to left analog stick for movement, d-pad does nothing. I tried using DS4Win and Steam to remap the d-pad to mimic the direction keys on a keyboard as well as the analog stick on a 360 controller, but it's like the game just ignores these remaps as soon as the game starts.

Edit: nvm just set Joy2Key to run as administrator under compatibility settings and it worked.