RQ: Is there rank in the Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings series?

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Damocles

RQ: Is there rank in the Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings series?

Post by Damocles »

Well, is there?
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

There is, but it's barely noticable. It works like in Psikyo games, only there isn't that much of a difference between zero rank and max rank.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Skykid

Re: RQ: Is there rank in the Aero Fighters/Sonic Wings serie

Post by Skykid »

Just to add my two cents to this: I've been playing Sonic Wings 2 (can't comment on the others) and I'd say rank really is quite noticeable. Not dying for prolonged periods increases both bullet count and speed considerably. If you no miss to stage four (three regular stages plus bonus) you can't miss the rank increase.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

ProjectAKo

Post by ProjectAKo »

I never did manage to find the variable in RAM that's controlling rank. But if you die in say, brazil second loop, it's hilarious how fast the rank drops. Bullets are half as fast, and half of the tanks don't spawn. Not exaggerating at all.

It seems rank doesn't exist in 1-7 to 1-10 though. Same for 2-7 to 2-10. It's always maxed.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Oh you're here! Get back to the 1CC thread and help me with my hidden character question (or better yet, post it here! :mrgreen: )

Character information for Sonic Wings 2 courtesy of Mr AKo (not sure where to put this):
ProjectAKo wrote:I used Mao/F-15 as shown in my vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RF_vWJHy5E . She's good at getting a consistent score, being able to freeze time and collect all 80k of medals in 1-8/2-8. Absolutely garbage for consistent survival. You want to speedkill certain bosses in the second loop, and she does the opposite of speedkilling.

Angela/RAFALE ship is probably the best, since the best way to get a huge score is to survive consistently so you can grind out runs until mambo appears. Angela has insane damage with autofire and 2nd tier speed, behind Mao and tied with others.

Bobby has the same type of autofire missile trick, but he's insanely slow, and his main shot really sucks sometimes.

Silver/A-10 can speedkill a lot of stuff as well, but too slow to move around the screen and position sometimes. Super overpowered main shot.

Keaton seems to be unbelieveably awful... Like his damage is bad, sub weapon is crap, speed is average, bomb sucks... For either survival or scoring he seems ill suited for everything. Keaton was terrible in the original sonic wings as well. At least in sw3 his bomb is like 10 seconds of invincibility.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

ProjectAKo

Post by ProjectAKo »

Skykid wrote:Oh you're here! Get back to the 1CC thread and help me with my hidden character question (or better yet, post it here! :mrgreen: )

Character information for Sonic Wings 2 courtesy of Mr AKo (not sure where to put this):
ProjectAKo wrote:I used Mao/F-15 as shown in my vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RF_vWJHy5E . She's good at getting a consistent score, being able to freeze time and collect all 80k of medals in 1-8/2-8. Absolutely garbage for consistent survival. You want to speedkill certain bosses in the second loop, and she does the opposite of speedkilling.

Angela/RAFALE ship is probably the best, since the best way to get a huge score is to survive consistently so you can grind out runs until mambo appears. Angela has insane damage with autofire and 2nd tier speed, behind Mao and tied with others.

Bobby has the same type of autofire missile trick, but he's insanely slow, and his main shot really sucks sometimes.

Silver/A-10 can speedkill a lot of stuff as well, but too slow to move around the screen and position sometimes. Super overpowered main shot.

Keaton seems to be unbelieveably awful... Like his damage is bad, sub weapon is crap, speed is average, bomb sucks... For either survival or scoring he seems ill suited for everything. Keaton was terrible in the original sonic wings as well. At least in sw3 his bomb is like 10 seconds of invincibility.
I made a thread here a few months ago with some discoveries of mine. I thought about making a guide, but the thing is it would take a long time, and I don't think anyone really plays this game anymore or would care. I even checked every japanese site I could find that mentions this game. Basically no one has any guide or info for it, almost no one plays it, probably less than 10 people ever 2-alled it (I only know of 5 or 6 japanese scores higher than 2 million). I think I even found posts of WR holder D.I on 2ch, who was asking for information and tips, back in 2007. That's how in the dark this game is...