GD: How to practice shooting games

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Furtin72

Re: GD: How to practice shooting games

Post by Furtin72 »

I wanted to thank you all for the invaluable tips and techniques for beginners!

I dont have MAME (no PC) so I have to learn most of my games „oldschool“ on my Cab, I guess.
Since I visited Arcades as a child, I know and love the feeling of watching better gamers showing of their skills. This has become youtube videos for me nowadays, since there are no Arcades (let alone something like Hey!) anywhere near or far ...

Nonetheless, I have a lot of fun practicing on real PCBs in my Cab and can live with the thought of not becoming a „Master“. Although I‘m very hard on myself when it comes to perfecting something and all your videos and tipps are helping a lot!

And for DDP SDOJ there is still the Xbox360 with training modes! <3 :P
“The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.”
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

Furtin72 wrote:I wanted to thank you all for the invaluable tips and techniques for beginners!

I dont have MAME (no PC) so I have to learn most of my games „oldschool“ on my Cab, I guess.
Since I visited Arcades as a child, I know and love the feeling of watching better gamers showing of their skills. This has become youtube videos for me nowadays, since there are no Arcades (let alone something like Hey!) anywhere near or far ...

Nonetheless, I have a lot of fun practicing on real PCBs in my Cab and can live with the thought of not becoming a „Master“. Although I‘m very hard on myself when it comes to perfecting something and all your videos and tipps are helping a lot!

And for DDP SDOJ there is still the Xbox360 with training modes! <3 :P
It's alright, getting good at these games is mostly about pure memorization and executing things like a robot anyways.

Remember they were originally designed as coin graves.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

That's not true in the least. They are hard in order to pull in money, but you make it sound like they're designed to be impossible, which is strictly false in 99.9% of Japanese-developed games.

Getting good at them requires building a skill-set. There are numerous shooters that a veteran could clear on their first time seeing the game, and many games feature randomness to prevent pure memorization from being viable.

Good luck on your journey Furtin72, it's definitely still possible to get very good without any practice tools. Just like back in the day :)
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

trap15 wrote:That's not true in the least. They are hard in order to pull in money, but you make it sound like they're designed to be impossible, which is strictly false in 99.9% of Japanese-developed games.

Getting good at them requires building a skill-set. There are numerous shooters that a veteran could clear on their first time seeing the game, and many games feature randomness to prevent pure memorization from being viable.
Impossible? Nah, most shmups arent Pink Sweets :P

To be fair, I think tools like MAME and Training/Boss rush modes greatly facilitate the learning progress. But that wasnt always the case when they were originally released in Arcades, because since the game gets exponentially difficult (or has additional loops) the player would get less chances to learn the difficult parts, and would be forced to play from the beginning or coin feed through, or until, the problematic parts.
I mean cmon, the beginning of DDPDOJ's second loop straight out takes all lives from you and no continues are even allowed, can you imagine that on a real Arcade?

I really dont want to sound like "that guy" who thinks shmups are impossible for most players. It's just that when you think about their original context, that being Arcade Games, you have to wonder just how many coins were lost due to the unseemly difficult curves players had to put up with in order to master even a single loop.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

tongshadow wrote:Impossible? Nah, most shmups arent Pink Sweets :P
I like to think Pink Sweets wasn't designed to be impossible because it wasn't designed, it just kind of happened.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

I recently having fun time figuring routes and strategy of Metal Slug 3's paths using save states, still don't know how to get consistent on Japanese samurai route and last Yeti rush :(

To me save states work best. Most of my 1cc's are done thanks to save state practice, there are some games I cleared w/o them e.g Darius Gaiden.
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Build affection for the game!
This is one of the most important things for me.