GD: Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Ura Midboss Requirements

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Erppo

Re: RQ: Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Ura Midboss Requirements

Post by Erppo »

You get extra charge for both hitting stuff with the laser aura and lasering enemies that are just offscreen. Therefore you want to move along the coast to the right so that your laser keeps hitting the tanks that are about to enter to maximize the charge you get from the start. It's not very precise so it's easy to do after you get it down.

Also I don't know what ship you are using but Power can charge a bit faster in the Normal mode so if you're Strong, it's not even possible to match Power replays.
Deca

Post by Deca »

Yeah the exact same thing was happening to me, I couldn't make any headway on it the first night and then when I came back to it I gradually improved until I found the right positions.

Right off the bat I'm sure you know where to go, up and to the right for the first popcorn enemies. Don't go ALL the way up or you'll get run into by one of them, but get up as far as you safely can. As soon as they're dead sweep left JUST enough to kill the second group, it's ok if the far left one survives you'll just have to dodge the single bullet he fires. From there immediately double back to the right and as far up the screen as you can before you hit the top wall. Sit where the first boat pops out and make tiny taps over to the right as long as you can until you have to move back to the left to get that wave that comes in. You might have to back up a bit to safely attack that group, move back up to the top of the screen as much as possible into the top left corner where there are some small silos that should be able to top off your charge. If you do it just right you'll hit it before you get all the way over there, initially you'll probably need to back up and kill a couple more enemies to finish it off. Hyper immediately after that and just gradually tap down the left wall of the screen cancelling until a bit of that first road is scrolled off the screen at the bottom left, then make a break for the bee and go up to where the first silos are. You'll get more bullet cancels if you don't kill the tanks on the road before you need to, as their shots from behind will be safely canceled as well. I'm sure cranking the chain up here requires more precise positioning and trusting the slowdown to leave you with enough time to get back up to the silos and destroy them, I have yet to break 1K as is desirable...I average 500 or so.

Focus on the silo longer than you think you need to, this improved my Ura consistency a lot. Like was posted above, sometimes you can kill it before the animation of it exploding from being hit by the tank is over and it counts. If you just wait for the first explosion and move on it was usually the tank, that sucker comes out faster than you'd expect. You'll net a lot of points by getting your hyper refilled and waiting to kill the large tanks until after your first hyper ends, but I haven't worked out the path and timing for that yet.
1CC List To miss is human; to rank control, divine.
“Fly to live and shoot ‘em all!” – Manabu Namiki
DrTrouserPlank

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

I'll have to look at this again tomorrow based on your description. I know that you get extra charge for point-blanking and can recharge your hyper on bosses (for example) during the invincibility that hypers confer. I think it's the smallest adjustment that will yield the desired result. Hell, it's almost all point-blank shooting so the sequence is the issue rather than anything else.
To go "full-Plank" - colloquial - To experience disproportionate levels of frustration as a result of resistance to completing a task. Those who go "full-Plank" very rarely recover.
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

I used to have any problems to get ura in stage 1.
My problems stopped and now I get ura all time using the strategy from this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sizj-Xsm ... OXC6LdTdU=
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

third_strike wrote:I used to have any problems to get ura in stage 1.
Ill remember that method for power mode.

Playing Strong it is tricky to do well, the replays ive seen on are very smooth with their precise movements, myself I have to wiggle my movement when "aura"ing those big ships.
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

If you don't care about score I can up a video getting Ura with strong ships in a easy way.
kyuzo

Post by kyuzo »

Here's a full (omote) 2-all video specifically targeted at clearing rather than scoring... It includes a pretty consistent way to get the ura path with C-Strong (the don't use a hyper at all way)

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7843130
Obscura

Re: GD: Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Ura Midboss Requirements

Post by Obscura »

A bit of a bump, but can anyone actually explain how this is done? Moozooh's annotated video is gone, and I just spent close to an hour grinding the first 30 seconds of stage 1 over and over and over with literally 0 successes. Every time I try, I either get point-blanked by the popcorn, point-blanked by the first larger ship, or I don't get hyper in time and then the Ura midboss doesn't show up.
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

Conditions listed in the first post are perfectly correct. For a demonstration, any decent replay should suffice. I bet they all do it and have a consistent method for it, there's no real one true way.

Looking at your video from the whining thread, your main problem seems to be your rather random, flaily approach. Just pick up a good plan (from a replay maybe) and stick with it instead of flying wildly all over the place.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Erppo wrote:…your main problem seems to be your rather random, flaily approach. Just pick up a good plan (from a replay maybe) and stick with it instead of flying wildly all over the place.
This is generally good advice for a lot of beginners I've watched play STGs - many of them flap around like headless chickens on some particularly strong amphetamines, and they wonder why their scoring/survival routes are so inconsistent. If you're wanting to get something consistent:

1. Know what you need to do
2. Know where you need to go
3. Know when you have to be there
4. Execute it with precision.

In the interests of staying on topic, I watched your replay, and within the first ten minutes of footage, noted that either a tank was running over the second or third silo on each attempt, or you weren't generating the first and second hyper of the stage quickly enough. For me, getting the first hyper quickly is critical as it enables me to time the rest of the run through the first half correctly. That, and getting the first hyper as the first bee is scrolling in gives me plenty of time to generate the second one before the critical point in the Ura route.

One other thing: it's probably not an actual requirement, but I always have over 1000HIT by the time I get to the Ura route trigger.

Also, here's a C-Power replay I whacked up in five minutes: http://youtu.be/2fWiuOZLBec
Erppo wrote:… the whining thread
:lol:

We should rename it to that, because that's all it is in reality.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Icarus wrote:
Erppo wrote:…your main problem seems to be your rather random, flaily approach. Just pick up a good plan (from a replay maybe) and stick with it instead of flying wildly all over the place.
This is generally good advice for a lot of beginners I've watched play STGs - many of them flap around like headless chickens on some particularly strong amphetamines, and they wonder why their scoring/survival routes are so inconsistent. If you're wanting to get something consistent:
Can you define the term "flailing"? Whenever I watch replays, I see tons of spots where people are flying around like crazy either to grab bees or to get to the next group of popcorn to keep the chain going.

Also, how on earth am I supposed to be able to copy a replay when I don't know why the moves are being made? There's no way to get it right without having some kind of a framework other than just "well, he starts on the right, then moves left and back right, then hypers and moves down and then back to the left eventually, etc". I'm at work right now, so I can't watch the vid you just posted, but watching Mr.MonkeyMan's replay back on page 1, I have no idea how he's getting the hyper before the third helicopter wave (even using the "aura on the top right" trick, I can't get it before about the time the fourth wave comes in), and after he's milked the bullets while sitting on the right side for a bit, I have no idea as to the logic of anything he's doing after that; it's sure as hell a ton different than the method I discovered this morning that puts me to about 75% consistency (mind you, my method still scores like crap because it requires using Hyper + Boost to kill the first tank before it can touch the silo; at the end of the stage, it only scores about 12 Oku).
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Obscura wrote: Also, how on earth am I supposed to be able to copy a replay when I don't know why the moves are being made? There's no way to get it right without having some kind of a framework other than just "well, he starts on the right, then moves left and back right, then hypers and moves down and then back to the left eventually, etc".
that's generally up to you to discover by watching the replay, doing the same thing as the other player does and comparing the results

also forget about scoring this early on, just focus on getting the route, you can add the other stuff later on once you understand the basics
and don't play on mame, dfk mame is almost unplayable
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Bananamatic wrote: and don't play on mame, dfk mame is almost unplayable
I've seen you say this before, but have you tried it in the latest MAME build? The CV1K driver was almost entirely re-written in 155. The slowdowns have been fixed, there's only 2F input lag (exactly like the PCB), and the only issues are some minor sound choppiness (and even that can be mitigated by closing some programs or having a beefier CPU).

(Besides, I don't own a 360 or a Cab. Plus, I only really know how to play on keyboard.)
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Sound chopping means it's not running at 100% on your machine. Hit F11 to look at the speed. Input lag is as bad as always, that can't be changed (it's CERTAINLY not 2 frames, you're incorrect). Slowdown is still hilariously wrong, I'm curious if you've ever even seen the PCB or the ports (not that the ports are even particularly correct, they're still far better than MAME in this regard).
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.