RQ: Ikaruga 'chain status' question

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
janrodricks

RQ: Ikaruga 'chain status' question

Post by janrodricks »

What does that do and how do I use it? I have no idea what it is
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

If you're talking about what I think you are, you mean those dots that sometimes appear in the upper corner of the screen when you shoot something, right? Basically, this helps you keep track of the enemies you're shooting in order to help you "chain" them: to "chain," all you have to do is shoot three enemies of the same color, either white or black, in a row, and then do the same thing again and again for as long as you can to get the most points. It doesn't matter if you let some enemies "escape," but if you shoot an enemy that breaks whatever current "pattern of 3" you have going, the chain will reset. Watch the "chain indicator": shoot 3 white enemies in a row, for example, and you'll see 3 white dots appear there as you do it. Once the third enemy in the sequence is shot, the row of 3 same-colored dots will flash, and you've got your first chain, plus some bonus points. Do it again, and the bonus gets bigger.

Hopefully that's what you meant...
janrodricks

Post by janrodricks »

That's exactly what I meant. Thank you :D
janrodricks

Post by janrodricks »

I have a question about scoring:
At the end of a level when it tallies everything up, does the max chain number contribute (as in, the higher the max you got the more bonus points at the end) or is it just there to let you know?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I don't THINK you get any extra points at the end of a stage for forming longer chains, but I haven't played in some time, so I could be wrong...I think that mainly affects your "grade," which is mainly just to help you see how well you're taking advantage of the scoring system, afaik.
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

janrodricks wrote:I have a question about scoring:
At the end of a level when it tallies everything up, does the max chain number contribute (as in, the higher the max you got the more bonus points at the end) or is it just there to let you know?
The total number of chains at the tally screen is just there to let you know. All chain bonuses are added when you complete them.
now tighter than your sister