GD: Giga Wing Generations

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Notes on stage 1: ok, i think you lose about 4-5 M due to sloppyness and random stuff, for the rest, i think that you can shoot the boss some more.Maybe the secret medal spring is a better option to nail 100M., but im' not sure.

Stage 2: i don't milk the kyte-like enemy before the sub-marine boss, but i destroy the barges. Sloppy sub-marine section? (More reflections/50+ medals). Here too, i think it's about shooting some more and a few more precise passages to nail 100M. If you can send me the other videos, i can make a few more comments :wink:
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Randorama wrote:Notes on stage 1: ok, i think you lose about 4-5 M due to sloppyness and random stuff, for the rest, i think that you can shoot the boss some more.Maybe the secret medal spring is a better option to nail 100M., but im' not sure.
Maybe 1-2 seconds. It depends, sometimes it blows up at about 1-3 seconds with nearly the same timing. I'd rather it fly away than destroy it prematurely. I definitely lost about 5 mil, since my high was 97.5 (w/ secret). Secret definitely helps. On that part I don't reflect until the triangular planes are about parallel.
Sloppy sub-marine section? (More reflections/50+ medals). Here too, i think it's about shooting some more and a few more precise passages to nail 100M. If you can send me the other videos, i can make a few more comments :wink:
You mean the platforms in the lava? Yeah, that's pretty sloppy. I just try to stay along the right edge of the central platforms and let the medals drop to me. It also seems a good spot to hit the most enemies, but an enemy always slips away. Reflecting is pretty secondary here, instead concentrating on the +10s/50s. I'm not sure what I could do differently there, though.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Uhnm, tried a bit and got about 85M, lots of sloppyness...

Same on second stage, 80 M is doable, rest is precision.

On the lava section: i usually play more aggressive, if you can nail some reflections, it's better.Also, i don't milk the kyte-like enemy before that, the small pods from the left are wroth +50 after all...

Experimenting a bit, i'll post more in the next days.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Randorama wrote:Also, i don't milk the kyte-like enemy before that, the small pods from the left are wroth +50 after all...
I got all but 1 of the small pods/50s (missed the first). You can stay along the left side and collect the pods' medals, reflect during a quick break between the pods and return.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Ok, but then you miss the barges on the right...i suppose that you can also get them, just a bit of precision.

Also, as i said in the journal: i think there's a routine for the very last part of fifth stage, which is basically:

safe spot-> enemies to spit bullets-> reflect -> back to safe spot. I think that this section should give you about 6k, or in general get you to about 25k.

Any ideas on the infamous "before the second mid-boss" of stage four? I now suppose that the purple needle bullets are the beginning of one reflection, and not the end...if so, it's purple needles + spamming eagles in one reflection. As for the rest...

Does this progression sounds more likely to you?

100+100+60+200+250+etc=710+M

And the following percentages and times:

100%/1;100%/1;100%(?)/28; 96%/50;94/95%/20: 0/40:

20 seconds in the fifth stage are to nail the very last attack on the second form, i think it's more rewarding than a few more seconds. Are you ready for an ST? :wink:
Rob

Post by Rob »

Does this progression sounds more likely to you?

100+100+60+200+250+etc=710+M
Yeah, that's good. Shoot for the stars on 4 & 5. :)
And the following percentages and times:

100%/1;100%/1;100%(?)/28; 96%/50;94/95%/20: 0/40:
Well, I think if you can hit 100 on stage 2 you can get 100 on all but maybe 5 (because of the crystal). Stage 2 has a fair amount of small enemies to miss. 95%+ is a good goal for all.

Time: 3 & 4 are good, in 5 I got over 33 (but I'm not sure of the ideal balance... this game needed restarts like GW2 to test variation), the final level is 44 sec (or more, that's the most I can consistently get with Robin).
20 seconds in the fifth stage are to nail the very last attack on the second form, i think it's more rewarding than a few more seconds. Are you ready for an ST? :wink:
Yeah, I think in what I underestimated most scoring wise is not really the multiplier gain, but the medal point gain on top of the multiplier gain. At worst you'll probably even out by milking, I think. The thing about an ST... who even plays this game? :evil:

I'll cover the rest in a bit, with some replay chunks hopefully.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Randorama wrote: Also, as i said in the journal: i think there's a routine for the very last part of fifth stage, which is basically:

safe spot-> enemies to spit bullets-> reflect -> back to safe spot. I think that this section should give you about 6k, or in general get you to about 25k.
http://s7.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3ACW7 ... AI3Q1X7761

This is what I do, and the weakest part of the stage for me (I let four slip away - the problem is shooting at the center, when newer ones pop up and shield the older ones as they escape). I think they move too fast to only reflect, or many more will escape unscathed. I think the real variable here are those "teleporting" enemies. If you keep them alive you can probably get more reflect medals, but it'd be pretty difficult dodging in between.
Any ideas on the infamous "before the second mid-boss" of stage four? I now suppose that the purple needle bullets are the beginning of one reflection, and not the end...if so, it's purple needles + spamming eagles in one reflection. As for the rest...
http://s7.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1RDAW ... S0OFGF0I1U

Pretty atrocious execution, but I think a good/decent idea is kind of in this form. Stay alongside the boxy units driving down the center, reflect and destroy all moving towards the opposite side (destroying one of the angel enemies). The other angel drifts over, reflect as soon as possible, which takes out the vertical dropping angels that come next. The rest takes care of itself. The hardest part is the first reflect, collecting those medals.

Another possible idea is to reflect over one for the first reflect, destroying it, keeping the other one active. And then do the same thing as before, except over the other active side (so destroy 1 diagonally moving angel and side box in one reflect, then the other two + the vertical droppers in the next). If that made any sense. :?:
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Ah, i do more or less the same on stage 5, so i can't provide any useful feedback :?

On stage 4, i go for the second approach, now. Over the weekend i fumbled around with this part and, if you take out one of the two main towers when spamming the blue needles, you should have a shield ready: trigger it to reflect the purple needles from the other tower, the spamming angels and, if the time is *perfect*, the divers. Retreat and charge a reflect for the other two spammers and the beginning of the second mid-boss. I also suspect that the mid-boss can be destroyed in a way that lets you reflect three times on it (+3k) and let you trigger the max amount of spamming angles. If you do, it's hell though: you will get three rows of spammers and i don't really know how to deal with them.

However, i had a very lucky run in which i could trigger all 3 rows, and the final result was 33+k. As a general comment, i have to say that this is one of the most anal stages i've seen in a shmup, but this is not big news...
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Ok, after the latest scores, some comments:

My approach to last part of stage 5 is the same, so we're clearly missing something, and i tried by trying a different timing...seems to work, but probably the key is not exploiting the safe spot, i suspect.

Stage 4: doing early one turret allows you to do early the other turret and the spammers, and so you have time to do again the the third diver (the one in the centre, the couple before that are a bait) and the spammers, plus the first attack from the mid-boss.Add two reflects on the mid-boss and an arc-movement for the last batch of spammers, and a 28k is the utmost limit, which becomes a 34k with the boss, and roughly 200M of multiplier. Not that it's remotely easy, but right now i keep getting 150M, so...
Rob

Post by Rob »

Stage 4 sounds solid. I'll have to try these sections again, maybe even today.
Rob

Post by Rob »

reupping replays for zlk:

level 1-
http://rapidshare.de/files/3954325/gwg-level1b.avi.html

level 2-
http://rapidshare.de/files/3955465/gwg-level2b.avi.html

level 3-
http://rapidshare.de/files/3958075/gwg-level3b.avi.html

(2 failed attempts at uploading stage 4, so that's it for now...)
Rob

Post by Rob »

IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

Got some scores from Arcadia #64:

Hawk - 2390,1854,1029,5127,1550

Grouse - 2175,4885,0223,5404,6380

Eagle - 1283,4692,9708,6885,4250
Rob

Post by Rob »

IlMrm wrote: Grouse - 2175,4885,0223,5404,6380
:oops:
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

IlMrm wrote:
Hawk - 2390,1854,1029,5127,1550
:cry:
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

The Hawk score is now at 2522,XXXX, and so on.