RQ: Brave Blade scoring and rank

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
mikwuyma

RQ: Brave Blade scoring and rank

Post by mikwuyma »

So I just tried out this game today, and I have to say I like it a lot. It seems to be one of the few Raizing games that doesn't confuse the hell out of me.

However, I'm not 100% sure I'm scoring very effectively. The most I've had is nearly 14 million by stage 4, and the lowest score has 10 million by stage 2 :?

All I know about the scoring system is slash at stuff, collect the medals, break parts off the bosses for more medals, don't break your medal chain (especially when you get max medals at 100k), and milk the destructible projectiles that come out of bosses (which I'm honestly not very good at). Is there anything else to the scoring system?

Since this game only gives you one extend, I assume you're not supposed to die a whole lot to reduce rank :P. However, are there spots where I should die to reduce rank? Stage 4 seems to rape me every time :(

Oh also, I didn't look at the tutorial that closely on the front page. What does pressing all three buttons do?

P.S. Where are you guys getting the ship names? I'm using the girl in the middle named Rosalitta, but I'm not seeing the names used in the high score thread at all.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

no rank control needed whatsoever

you have to deal with something far, far worse
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
mikwuyma

Post by mikwuyma »

And this something is?
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

~~MEDAL JUGGLING~~
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

oshit is it like twinbee?
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

yeah only the medals don't break so it's better than that in that regard
unban shw
DEL

Baltar Lives

Post by DEL »

mikwuyma - Its not a complex scoring system, just swipe and juggle throughout the whole thing (except for a bit of shooting on some bosses).
You could try to keep on one side to make medal juggling easier, unless you're going for STG's score :wink: .
Oh also, I didn't look at the tutorial that closely on the front page. What does pressing all three buttons do?
Its just another way to activate the Special Weapon.
mikwuyma

Post by mikwuyma »

Thanks DEL, I'm guessing you shoot bosses a bit to milk them.

And if pressing all three buttons is the same as pressing C, then why did they bother?

I guess it's this game's similarity with Twin Bee Yahho! that makes me enjoy it so much :lol:
Macaw

Post by Macaw »

The justice law of the bump.

so... is there any Japanese pro vids for this game anywhere??
DEL

Post by DEL »

Macaw wrote;
The justice law of the bump.

so... is there any Japanese pro vids for this game anywhere??
Never heard of any, but a game where we are at around 50mil and the WR is only around 75mil - there's really not much need for a superplay vid.
DMC

Post by DMC »

Hi! Just started playing this game, and I have a quick question for you.

I've noticed that the medals can decrease in value, from 100'000 to 90'000 and so on. Is this true, can anyone explain that?

Btw, Initial impression: The medals are huge and easy to catch, and the juggling also seems to eaze the scoring as a medal miss is not so devastating if you can juggle your way back to 100'000 again. I'm positive to the system, but perhaps I'll regret that later when I have played some more. :wink:
DEL

Post by DEL »

I've noticed that the medals can decrease in value, from 100'000 to 90'000 and so on. Is this true, can anyone explain that?
Yes its true, but I don't know the exact breakdown of the decreases.
I'm positive to the system, but perhaps I'll regret that later when I have played some more.
Its pretty simple, just swipe around like a maniac.
The final Boss is a bit hard but zlk figured it out very quickly. He has a replay but I didn't have the setup to view it.
DMC

Post by DMC »

Thanks, Del. Another small but positive change I've noticed is that the ship revives pretty fast, so you still got a chance to keep the chain. I think I'll like this game! :)
DMC

Re: RQ: Brave Blade scoring and rank

Post by DMC »

Sorry for double post!

Playing this a bit again.

Some medaling info:
There are 24 medal levels as indicated by pic below.
To level up medals quicker you should try to collect medals present before revealing new ones. That way you will level up ideally like this
200 -> 400 ->800 -> 2000
If you instead hit all enemies simultaneously to reveal a bunch of medals at once. Then the chain will be twice as long:
200 -> 300 -> 400 -> 600 ->800 ->1000 ->2000

This medal level skipping thing does not exist for medals above 10'000.

So rule of thumb, grab medals immediately one at a time until 10'000 then hit 'em repeatedly until they are all worth the maximum of 100'000. This is a pretty nice system, because it disencourages you to tediously hit low level medals like 24 times before they are worth a lot, better to grab them quickly to skip levels.

if you reveal medals by killing enemies with default shot or special weapon mode, then medals worth above 10'000 will decrease in value, one level at a time. And you also only get a medal, I think, about every 5th enemy. If you kill enemies with regular melee attach, medals will come ever 2nd enemy and never decrease in value. Obviously encouraging you to use melee attack a lot.

Some other info:
the strength of your sword attack (Rem) increases if you hit enemies at a time when the swrod animation is thicker and brighter. So as a rule of thumb standing slightly above and to the left of large enemies can be useful for killing them quickly. Some enemies can take about 7-8 hits if you stand right in front of them, but only 2 hits if you stand above to the left (if you move right as you press the melee button, direction changes).

Medal levels: