ST: Mushihime-sama Futari ver 1.5

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
TodayIsForgotten

Re: ST: Mushihime-sama Futari ver 1.5 [@cave-stg.com]

Post by TodayIsForgotten »

The OP mentions that the counter changes color to know when to switch your shot to get the bigger orbs. Are you referring to the blue and red bar? I also wonder if chaining enemies allows you to continue using one shot over the other to get big orbs. hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
msm

Post by msm »

TodayIsForgotten wrote:The OP mentions that the counter changes color to know when to switch your shot to get the bigger orbs. Are you referring to the blue and red bar?
that's only for original mode, where the bar doesn't go red iirc, (edit) the counter changes between blue/green, don't think chaining has anything to do with it?

the bar goes red in manic mode, i still don't fully get the manic scoring - you build up the bar tapping shot, then when it's red try to kill a big enemy by holding shot as this gets you the big gems - is that sort of right?
Last edited by msm on Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CptRansom

Post by CptRansom »

EOJ wrote:[3.2]MANIAC MODE
Maniac mode is characterized by dense bullet patterns at moderate speeds, as well as the most complex scoring of any of the game modes.

[3.2.1] SCORING
Scoring is based on one multiplier, which is termed the overall counter. This counter is only triggered by killing enemies with the A shot when the chaining bar is at zero. Each gem absorbed at this time has a blue-aura, and the value of the multiplier is added to the value of each of these gems, which increases your score once you absorb them.

[3.2.1.1]THE OVERALL COUNTER:
This is the counter in the upper left of the screen. It serves as a multiplier added to the value of the blue gems you obtain. It maxes out at 9999 and is reset to 0 at the start of each level. Gold and green-aura gems increase this counter, while blue-aura gems decrease it. Each time you die, your counter decreases by 1/3 (e.g. if you have 900 gems, after 1 death you will have 600). When you bomb this counter also decreases over the duration of the bomb (on average 10-15%??).

[3.2.2.2]THE CHAINING BAR:
This appears under the overall counter and increases from blue to red. As long as you chain enemies with the C shot, it will increase. In addition, it increases to red as long as you hold your C shot on a large enemy (like a boss). This bar decreases rapidly to zero as you hold the A shot. Kill an enemy with the A shot when the chaining bar is red and you’ll get double the gems. Kill an enemy with the A shot when this bar is empty and you’ll spawn blue-aura gems (see below). Basically, the scoring system and gameplay flow are based upon using the C shot when the chaining bar is between zero and MAX, and using A when it is at either zero or MAX.

[3.2.3]GEMS
Whenever you kill an enemy, all the bullets on the screen from that enemy are changed into gems, and in addition some gems are spawned from the enemy itself. In order to get large gold gems, you must kill enemies with the C button when the chaining bar is red (any time the chaining bar isn't red you will get small gems). Kill them with the A shot when the bar is red and you get double (or more??) the large gems, which can quite literally fill the entire screen with gems!

[3.2.3.1]GEM VALUES:

Point values:
Small gem: 5pts
Large gem: 10pts
Small blue-aura gem: 5 x multiplier
Large blue-aura gem: 10 x multiplier

Values added or subtracted from the Overall Counter (i.e your multiplier):
Small gem: +2
Large gem: +5
Small gem (on ground): +10
Large gem (on ground): +20
Small Blue-aura gem: -15
Large Blue-aura gem: -30

[3.2.3.2]GREEN-AURA GEMS
To trigger these in Maniac mode, you need to kill enemies when the chaining counter is red and not be holding the A shot when you absorb them. These are worth double the normal gems (large and small), so it’s well worth it to learn how to trigger these if you want to score well. They only glow green for a second or two before they revert back to yellow, so you must be quick and suck them in by letting off the A button. The best way to get a ton of gems quickly is to wait for an enemy to fill the screen with bullets, then kill it with the A shot when the chaining bar is red, then quickly switch to the C shot (or just don’t hold any button down) to have the nearby gems turn green as you absorb them.

[3.2.3.3]BLUE-AURA GEMS
To trigger these you must destroy an enemy with the A shot when the chaining bar is empty (no color showing). Every blue-aura gem is worth the value of the overall counter x5 for small gems and x10 for large gems at the time it is absorbed. Once absorbed, they are subtracted from the overall counter. Since the max multiplier is 9999, the max point value you can get from a single large blue-aura gem is 99,990pts.
I had to re-read this a few times, but after playing Maniac twice and then reading this again, it all made sense. I'll try to boil it down to something that isn't a wall of text, and if I'm wrong, then hopefully someone will correct me.

Use C shot to build up the bar; this spawns small gems.
Using C shot when the bar is in the red spawns large gems.
If you kill something with the A shot WHILE THE BAR IS RED, it spawns twice the normal number of gems (I'm assuming double the large from the enemy as well as double the small from bullet cancelling).
Using the A shot when the bar is completely empty spawns blue gems, which are worth 5 times the multiplier or 10 times the multiplier for small and large gems respectively.
Each time you collect a blue gem, it lowers the counter by 15 for small and 30 for large. (for example, if you have a 9999 muliplier and you spawn two large blue gems, the first gem you collect will be worth 99,990 points and the second one will be worth 99,690 points; also, your multiplier will then be at 9969).

From what I can tell, it basically comes down to using your C shot to build multiplier and then switching to the A shot if you feel comfortable that it will destroy the enemy BEFORE the red portion of the bar disappears. Once you have a high enough multiplier, then you want to use the A shot to quickly lower the bar to zero and kill an enemy to spawn blue gems which are worth big points, but drastically lower your multiplier.

Okay, so that was still a wall of text. =/ I tried!
<trap15> I only pick high quality games
<trap15> I'm just pulling shit out of my ass tbh
msm

Post by msm »

CaptainRansom wrote:I tried!
Thanks, i really appreciate the effort as i've read that guide loads and it confuses me, after reading what you put i think i understand it a lot better :)

edit - playing some novice manic mode really helps with understanding what's going on as i could actually look at the bar and the colour of the gems, can't really do that in normal manic mode as trying to stay alive takes too much concentration.
gs68

Post by gs68 »

Not sure if this is 100% correct, but I've noticed on Ultra and God modes that bombing carries a worse counter penalty than dying.

In God, for instance, bombing will drop the counter to the multiple of 10,000 below what it was before bombing, while dying only takes off a fraction of it. In Ultra, a death at <1,000 counter is less harmful than a bomb at >1,000.

(This is why I try to focus on just getting gold and surviving for now rather than worrying about all the scoring mechanics.)
CptRansom

Post by CptRansom »

gs68 wrote:Not sure if this is 100% correct, but I've noticed on Ultra and God modes that bombing carries a worse counter penalty than dying.

In God, for instance, bombing will drop the counter to the multiple of 10,000 below what it was before bombing, while dying only takes off a fraction of it. In Ultra, a death at <1,000 counter is less harmful than a bomb at >1,000.

(This is why I try to focus on just getting gold and surviving for now rather than worrying about all the scoring mechanics.)
I don't know about God mode, but the reason that happens in Ultra is because when you bomb, your counter drops at a fixed rate regardless of the number. Upon death, however, you simply lose one-third of your counter. So with EOJ's example of a counter at 900, yes, a bomb will reduce it to zero; however, dying will simply reduce it by one-third and leave it at 600. Hopefully that makes sense!
<trap15> I only pick high quality games
<trap15> I'm just pulling shit out of my ass tbh
Lynx Winters

Post by Lynx Winters »

CaptainRansom wrote: Each time you collect a blue gem, it lowers the counter by 15 for small and 30 for large. (for example, if you have a 9999 muliplier and you spawn two large blue gems, the first gem you collect will be worth 99,990 points and the second one will be worth 99,690 points; also, your multiplier will then be at 9969).
From what I can tell, all blue gems are worth the same number of points when created. If there are 100 bullets on screen and you kill a bullet-cancelling enemy to trigger blue gems then all 100 gems will be worth (multiplier * base value) no matter how late you collect them.
ryz

Post by ryz »

any advice on v1.5 original mode stage 3 AFTER the midboss? i usually no miss the stage 3 midboss, but then things go worse.. those woodlouses keep just on raping me.. i don't seem to get a strategy working on how to approach this part.. stage 3 boss works fine for me, just as stage 4..

this is the part im referring to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys41VQ8wxdo#t=2m04s
Solarus

Post by Solarus »

I posted this in the thread in the shmups forum (sorry about that btw. Forgot this sub-forum was here), but does anyone have a solid strategy for God mode Larsa's final pattern in phase 1? (the one where the strings of bullets split into 3 strings near the bottom of the screen and those curly strings of bullets basically do the same thing).

I've been practicing God Larsa pretty hardcore and I can do most of the fight pretty efficiently except for that one section. The only way I can get through that pattern with a no-miss is by bombing twice, and I don't want to have to rely on that as my "strategy" when I start doing real runs of the game with the purpose of not dying.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm" - Sir Winston Churchill
Schrodinger's cat

Post by Schrodinger's cat »

ryz wrote:any advice on v1.5 original mode stage 3 AFTER the midboss?
Don't know if you're playing for score or survival but try score properly in this section. You'll get more gems, and more gems on the screen = more slowdown.

Also, try killing those woodlouses that appear on the side before tackling the larger enemies in the middle, so you'll end up having to dodge less. I find C shot to be particularly useful when there's a lot of slowdown and rolling louses around.

For me, the key here is to making somewhat big movements from one end of the screen to the other so that you intercept enemies before they become a huge threat. Letting just that one small louse live has the potential to make you dodge into a corner and get killed trying to dodge other patterns.
chempop

Post by chempop »

ryz wrote:
any advice on v1.5 original mode stage 3 AFTER the midboss?
I've 1cc original, and for me this is still one of the hardest parts of the game. Just try your best to anticipate so things don't get out of hand.
Which character are you using? Like in the replay, Reco can get away with staying a bit in the center due to her hide rapid shot, while Palm needs to sweep back and forth more because his rapid shot is so narrow. If you are using Palm also remember that his options lock on with that electricity shot so use that to your advantage too.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

I have a question relating to Ultra/God Mode and it's been bothering the hell out of me.
I always thought it's a rank-related thing, but I've noticed that the stage 1 boss has two different variations of a certain attack. I'm talking specifically about the flamethrower attack. It'll either fire out the 3-way flamethrower or it'll fire one long stream with bullets firing off to the side. Is there any way to get one or the other on command? I always seem to get them randomly.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

It's random. There's no rank in Ultra/God.

There are a couple other random patterns in the game, like Larsa's final phase purple bullet attack in Maniac.
honorless

Post by honorless »

EOJ made a great post on the differences between ver 1.01 and ver 1.5 here, for all those who may have missed it. Some non-obvious stuff there.

Also, for the curious, some changes between ver 1.0 -> 1.01.
video games suck
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

EOJ wrote:It's random. There's no rank in Ultra/God.
After playing a bit longer, I'm starting to think it's not random. I think it might be based on where your character is positioned after the dinosaur lands from the big jump. It seems to fire out the three-way when you're over at the left of the boss as it lands and it'll fire that long stream if you're on the right. I could be wrong but this is what I'm observing so far.
Aquas

Re: ST: Mushihime-sama Futari ver 1.5

Post by Aquas »

Oh, something I noticed when I first started playing the port is that you can adjust the rate of Normal Reco's autofire C shot by tapping C at the desired speed. Do you like it chunky or evenly spread out? :) basically. Try it. Not really sure if it'll come in handy... that's for the pros to decide.
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

What's the clear bonus in BL Original? I watch replays and people get something insane like 200m per life. But I cleared it with 2 lives in stock and got sweet bugger all.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Taylor wrote:What's the clear bonus in BL Original? I watch replays and people get something insane like 200m per life. But I cleared it with 2 lives in stock and got sweet bugger all.
The Black Label clear bonus formula is the same in every mode: Lives x Bombs x 10. Most you can get per life is 60mil (assuming you get to the last boss with a full 6 bombs and never use a bomb). Never end the game with lives in stock but no bombs (as your end bonus will of course be zero) - in such instances you should always suicide at the very end to get some end bonus.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Ah, I was probably seeing ~20m then. I finished with 3 lives (2 spare) and no bombs, so if I had suicided I would've got 30m more... Nothing amazing I guess, do feel a little robbed though.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Black Label punishes the bombers like no other game. You weren't robbed, you just weren't playing by BL's rules. :wink:
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

I've been messing about with Arrange Original for a while and I've got 2.7 billion but can't seem to improve on it.

Any advice? My runs seem pretty consistent now and I'm not sure what I'm missing other than dodging more consistently.
Number of 1cc's : 5
Now playing: Gunbird
Turmio

Post by Turmio »

I joined the forums just to say thank you for making this guide! I was totally lost with all the character shot types and the scoring system etc...

Hopefully I can now get somewhere in the game. It seems pretty hard though. I'm used to bullets (and my character) moving slow as I've been playing alot of Touhou, but in this game everything seems to move alot faster. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it. :)

Anyway thanks again for the great guide!
roker

Post by roker »

Has anyone broke down BL yet?
"something witty."
by someone witty
ncp

Post by ncp »

roker wrote:Has anyone broke down BL yet?
BL Original: You get streams of gems for point blanking, counter changes every 3k, you also want to kill yourself irl.

BL Maniac: You get chain bar for hitting enemies with shot instead of just for killing them, chain bar goes down slower, counter carries over between stages.

God Mode: Harder version of BL Maniac with easier versions of ultra patterns. Counter goes up to 30k. Above 10k, hitting enemies with shot (or laser when the chain bar is empty) will rapidly increase your counter. Both Ultra TLBs removed, new piss-easy TLB added, but you have to no-miss the entire game to access it. Yeah, it doesn't make sense. I can only assume it's just there to give you free points for no-missing the game.
roker

Post by roker »

ncp wrote:
roker wrote:Has anyone broke down BL yet?
BL Original: You get streams of gems for point blanking, counter changes every 3k, you also want to kill yourself irl.

BL Maniac: You get chain bar for hitting enemies with shot instead of just for killing them, chain bar goes down slower, counter carries over between stages.

God Mode: Harder version of BL Maniac with easier versions of ultra patterns. Counter goes up to 30k. Above 10k, hitting enemies with shot (or laser when the chain bar is empty) will rapidly increase your counter. Both Ultra TLBs removed, new piss-easy TLB added, but you have to no-miss the entire game to access it. Yeah, it doesn't make sense. I can only assume it's just there to give you free points for no-missing the game.
thanks.
"something witty."
by someone witty
Finsch

Post by Finsch »

ryz wrote:any advice on v1.5 original mode stage 3 AFTER the midboss?
This is the spot where i have problems, but in Maniac with Palm / Abnormal !!!
Stage 4 is not so hard than this part, any helps...?
Sex, Drugs and Shmups!!!
Cantido

Post by Cantido »

I bought this compulsively out of hype for Deathsmiles. I'm not digging it as much as Touhou, but that doesn't mean much because I really really like it. It just needs some understanding I guess.

My first question is about the Black Label. In the top replays, I see some players firing on bosses and watch the multiplier counter go up. When I fight a boss it seems to go down no matter what I do. How do you make it go up during a boss fight?

I like Mushihime a lot, it's just I don't like some of the boss patterns. This may be just me comparing it to Touhou, but in Touhou, all the bullets are slow, with a slight randomness to it, requiring less memorization. Waves of bullets can be weaved through using just your eyes and the hitbox. The difficulty always feels *just* right because it was designed to be 1ccd. You die a lot, but there are a lot of opportunities to get 1ups.

Mushihime feels like a cross between Touhou and Raiden 3 to me. You have a focus and can weave through bullets...during hardware slowdown. I understand that's a trademark of Cave, and I'm trying to adjust. But especially during bossfights, there are parts where the bullets are so rapid that I find myself memorizing Twitch Left, Twitch Right through attacks that are too fast for me to graze my way through. I'm doing the Training on Boss 5 over and over, and find myself dying over and over in the same places because I can't use my eyes and am not finding the right movement patterns. This is why I don't enjoy Raiden 3 at all. Not that it's hard, but that it feels hard for the wrong reasons.

But take that complaint with a grain of salt. I am deeply enjoying Mushihime and plan to give Aksys all my money for Deathsmiles soon. But any help with my first Cave game would be appreciated. I wish John Madden were here to help me navigate these bosses!

Also, Reco seems pretty...big...for a 15 year old. :roll: Why does she have to kick the **** out of her dead boyfriend's mom? Is there a story and ending translation?
ncp

Post by ncp »

As for your question, all the different modes have different scoring systems and mechanics. I'm a bit tired, but iirc, the only mode you can increase counter on bosses with is God mode. In God mode, if your counter is above 10k your counter goes up while attacking. Your counter will flash red. This also applies during the stage. Using C shot, the closer you are to the enemy the faster the counter goes up (if you point blank a large enemy with C shot in a stage you can get a solid 10k counter in a matter of seconds). As far as I know, lasering raises the counter at the same rate regardless of distance.

As for the rest of the post, I guess you're just not used to it. Once you do get used to it, the speed is not bad. When I started playing Mushi 1 Original I got owned because it seemed too fast for me, but now when I play it, Mushi Original is pretty much a joke. The only time the bullets are ever too fast to react to in Futari (for me personally) is on Original when your rank is maxed (70k on 1.5 (which requires extremely good play), or 100k on BL), and even then if you watch the pros play they pull some crazy shit weaving through obscenely fast patterns. If you're having trouble with bullet speed, then just play Maniac. Besides, every shmup requires precise memorization to play well, anyway.

One final note, if you use Touhou as your baseline for shmups I have a feeling you have this same "complaint" about a LOT of shmups :wink:
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

Cantido wrote:I like Mushihime a lot, it's just I don't like some of the boss patterns. This may be just me comparing it to Touhou, but in Touhou, all the bullets are slow, with a slight randomness to it, requiring less memorization. Waves of bullets can be weaved through using just your eyes and the hitbox. The difficulty always feels *just* right because it was designed to be 1ccd. You die a lot, but there are a lot of opportunities to get 1ups.
This misconception gets thrown out a lot out there, that games with faster bullets necessarily require more memorization. You're just not used to those faster bullets yet. Keep it up and you will be able to dodge faster patterns with just your eyes soon. ;)

Not that memorization is bad either, but that's another topic I guess.
"I think happiness is just being able to loaf without stress."

http://speeddemosarchive.com/
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

If you move diagonally down against the bottom of the screen, your movement speed will be slowed down slightly. This also applies to the sides of the screen moving diagonally down or upwards.

This is a little tip that I actually find pretty handy playing Abnormal Reco in 1.5 original mode because of her quickness when using the hold shot laser.
She's so fast in this state that decreasing your speed at the bottom of the screen is actually useful if you have your options locked onto a target and need a slightly slower speed to help dodge. Granted, she's still pretty fast even using this trick, but it doesn't hurt.
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro