GD: Hellsinker

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Waddle Dee

Post by Waddle Dee »

Some other stuff I've noticed:

Terra: On Solid State, at least, Terra seems to decrease by some variable amount when the player is hit (EDIT: and also between levels). Some enemies release golden icons that recovers Terra when collected (e.g. those invincible buggers in Beyond Nimbus/3-behind seem to drop a lot of them when hit *once*). Losing all Terra sends you to...

Shrine of Farewell: I tend to regard this as a "bonus stage", since you are invincible throughout and collect a whole bunch of spirit/extend crystals at the end. I wonder what happens if you go through the game without seeing this?

Bad End: Stage 7 Boss, after releasing the spirit kernel thingy, it seems that sometimes I get an abrupt ending and some blurb about Insanity. Anyone know what's up with that? (Might have to do with timing out instead of killing it?)

Also... a wiki link, with a lot of info on Hellsinker and other stuff.
Last edited by Waddle Dee on Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goshi

Post by Goshi »

If you do the alternative Stage 3 you'll get booted to the Shrine of Farewell weather you like it or not.

Unless you continue in which you go to Segment 4 anyway.
Goshi

Post by Goshi »

Wow, there's a 5th boss in the Shrine of Farewell. Its difficult to reach though since to get to it you need to kill the four main bosses within the time limit. Its the typical survive within the time limit type boss and it creates several enemies along with the bullets to help increase score and gain more crystals at the end of the stage.

Killing Temperament Nil first is probably the best way to reach it since he/she takes the longest time to kill.
landshark

Post by landshark »

How do you know what version you are running and how do you guys know what the boss names are?

I'm running this on a TV too - so I can't really read the text, I might be missing something incredibly obvious here.

I've only played this a handful of times, but the 4th level boss is completely destroying me. I'd like to see some of the replays but they are desyncing on me.

Edit: 60 minutes later I go and give the game another go and I beat the crap out of the level 4 boss. Then I thought credits were scrolling so I walked away. When I came back it was waiting for me to press a button ... is that some sort of intermission or something?

It dumped me into 3 maze-like levels - are these the "bonus levels" you guys speak of? Anyway, after that I entered into some boss-rush level with this big sphere that kept showing up after each attack. I entered with 5 or 6 extra guys and lost them all. At least 4 of them were to instant-lasers - lame.

Cool music though.

But now I can't seem to get to the replay-menu.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Waddle Dee

Post by Waddle Dee »

landshark wrote:How do you know what version you are running
In-game, I dunno (and would like to know myself).
landshark wrote:and how do you guys know what the boss names are?
I'm running this on a TV too - so I can't really read the text, I might be missing something incredibly obvious here.
Names of the last thing you hit appear in the lower-left corner, and most of the spirit-bosses have their names displayed up top.
landshark wrote:Edit: 60 minutes later I go and give the game another go and I beat the crap out of the level 4 boss. Then I thought credits were scrolling so I walked away. When I came back it was waiting for me to press a button ... is that some sort of intermission or something?
Happens the first time after the sewers, and never again, I think.
landshark wrote:It dumped me into 3 maze-like levels - are these the "bonus levels" you guys speak of? Anyway, after that I entered into some boss-rush level with this big sphere that kept showing up after each attack. I entered with 5 or 6 extra guys and lost them all. At least 4 of them were to instant-lasers - lame.
The maze is Segment 5, a regular stage; the "bonus stage" is the Shrine of Farewell (which I think is also considered Segment 9?), also a boss-rush, but clearly bonus-y in that your life meter reads "unchained" and never depletes for the duration of the segment.
landshark wrote:But now I can't seem to get to the replay-menu.
Replays are viewable by pressing button 2 (sub-weapon) when a particular mode is selected... unless you meant unlocking stages for the stage-select mode, in which case I'm stumped as well.
landshark

Post by landshark »

Waddle Dee wrote: Names of the last thing you hit appear in the lower-left corner, and most of the spirit-bosses have their names displayed up top.
Crap - I'll never be able to read that.
Waddle Dee wrote: The maze is Segment 5, a regular stage; the "bonus stage" is the Shrine of Farewell (which I think is also considered Segment 9?), also a boss-rush, but clearly bonus-y in that your life meter reads "unchained" and never depletes for the duration of the segment.
Hah - that boss rush does not seem at all like a bonus stage. That place is a killer (and fun).

Interesting now that when I start, I have the option of a front/back side. The other side is what I remember the old version of Hellsinker being like.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Goshi

Post by Goshi »

Interesting now that when I start, I have the option of a front/back side. The other side is what I remember the old version of Hellsinker being like.
Yeah thats the reward you get for unlocking Kagura. Behind takes you to the stages your familiar with whilst Lead takes you to the new stages.
Also in the final segment, Segment 8 there doesn't seem to be a boss of any sort. Maybe I did something wrong...
"Now reaches the fatal attraction described as HELLSINKER"

The Unnamed thing is the first thing you fight, its the traditional final battle, throws attacks at you and you need to destroy it before it kills itself. In this case you have to damage it enough times and survive it's last attack.

After that there's two nasty guys after him. Kaleidoscope and some guy with a glitchy name. I don't know the conditions to make which one appear but they're both equally as nasty and a lot of fun to fight =/

There's also 2 extra stages apparently but I don't know how to unlock them.
Stage 7 Boss, after releasing the spirit kernel thingy, it seems that sometimes I get an abrupt ending and some blurb about Insanity. Anyone know what's up with that? (Might have to do with timing out instead of killing it?)
I'm not sure on the conditions to prevent that but its only ever happened to me once.

EDIT: Defeat the boss within the time limit. The longer you let it last the more score you get.But be sure to kill the boss before the time limit runs out
Then I thought credits were scrolling so I walked away. When I came back it was waiting for me to press a button ... is that some sort of intermission or something?
Its actually some plot text welcoming you to the awesome second half of the game.
It dumped me into 3 maze-like levels - are these the "bonus levels" you guys speak of?
No thats Segment 5. The bonus stage is the Shrine of Farewell which is a boss rush level with unlimited lives. You'll know you entered it if the first time you see it you see some text showing up and then every other time you see a chain break with the words Shrine of Farewell appearing.
Anyway, after that I entered into some boss-rush level with this big sphere that kept showing up after each attack. I entered with 5 or 6 extra guys and lost them all. At least 4 of them were to instant-lasers - lame.
Thats Perpetual Calender, the most annoying boss in the game. i hate that thing argh !@##!@##@$@#$$@
Waddle Dee

break chain, finish one's lot

Post by Waddle Dee »

Goshi wrote:There's also 2 extra stages apparently but I don't know how to unlock them.
To unlock Extra 1 (The Great Majority) you need to beat the true-true-last-boss in Segment 8, in either full or short mode.

1) Last Boss "Unnamed 290" (glowy-thing on calm purple background): When you get to the crystal thingy and face the series of named attacks, you might notice the "satisfaction level" meter at the top that increases as you damage it. End the spell-card-dance with satisfaction level 3 to reach the true last boss with the spazzy sky background. (Levels 1-2 lead to different bosses.)

2) True Last Boss "Garland"? (wireframe on spazzy space background): You'll also need to pump this sucker full of damage, according to the meter on top. As you chip away at it, you'll get announcements like "the ring of <foo> was broke" until the final moonspeak announcement and color change (e.g., faeries turn from white to black). You'll still need to wait out the rest of the attack.

3) True-True-Last-Boss "Lost Property 771" (spirit with four huge blocks on inverted background): Just survive. If you're having trouble dodging the faeriespam, hit one of the blocks for a shield, or simply graze-absorb them.

For reference, a video of someone whooping on the last boss(es) as Fossil Maiden.

Compared to all that, the Extra 2 (The Way of All Flesh) unlock requirements are much simpler: Beat Extra 1.
landshark

Post by landshark »

Having watched that (nice that they used stage6 instead of youtube), all I can say is "I have no idea what is going on." It just looks like a bunch of crap thrown on the screen.

Am I correct in saying the boss of this game, is a donut?
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

wow that took forever lol
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Ok, that game is pretty awesome... playing it and i understand most of stuff... what combination and character do you recommend most? (I didn't unlock bonus character yet, i'm on segment 3)
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
Goshi

Post by Goshi »

I prefer Minogame since her subweapons are powerful. Getting to the True True Final boss as her is tricky though =/

I also don't mind Fossil Maiden though I'm not quite as good as her.

I don't have any ideas on how to use Dead Liar or Kagura correctly.
Waddle Dee

Chara?

Post by Waddle Dee »

Kagura, but only the third mode (infernal sabbath/variable gun a.k.a. forward stream of orange death). First chara I beat the Segment 8 with. I can't figure out how to utilize the other three outfits, though...

Until then, I think Deadliar is all right. Toss the option out front, and leave it there to collect those purple gems. Melee attack is pretty powerful, forward shot is alright.