RQ: Judgement Silversword

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
SFKhoa

RQ: Judgement Silversword

Post by SFKhoa »

One of the bosses, Mirror Shield REH.
I can't seem to dodge the 5-way homing laser that it occasionally fires. I need to find a good approach so I can at least dodge this without ease. Any suggestions?
Sensato Kurai

Post by Sensato Kurai »

That boss is somewhat a pain until you figure out. The good news is:

**Spoiler of some kind I guess**

You'll get to face two at the same time later in the game. Wonderfull!!!

**End of spoiler**

About doging the 5-way laser (isn't it a 4-way on normal mode?), I'm sure you'll figure it out pretty soon. I can say though that a part of the job is, imo, having a clear area for dodging the homing laser which is shot after a series of homing waves of bullets. Good luck!

Out of curiosity, what's your average score at the beginning of Area 20?
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Average Score = 8.5-9mil by the time I reach 20.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I am guessing you figured it out already, but here's a bit of a hint, at least the way I do it and in fact with almost any of this kind of homing laser.

The 5-way homing laser has 3 lasers more closely oriented to the centre, and 2 at the outsides. If I numbered them 1-2-3-4-5, then 1 and 5 would be the ones on the outside and 2 3 4 are the ones in the middle. What I tend to do is accelerate towards the lasers and squeeze in between 1 and 2 or 4 and 5.

More commonly it's between 4 and 5 since when the lasers come out I am usually in the upper left quadrant of the screen after dodging the aimed bullet stream and I want to get back to the centre bottom. So you want to be fairly close when the lasers come out but not so close that you get smacked by them immediately.

The premise for this is that you notice the lasers come out, slow down, and then accelerate again towards your position. What I try to do is get behind the lasers when they slow down, so that they must turn around backwards to hit you, which is impossible since they cannot turn that sharply.

I guess you can kind of liken it to that scene in Macross Plus where Guld accelerates towards the missile swarm and dodges them all because the relative velocity becomes too high for the missiles to track and follow.

This getting-behind-the-homing-laser thing is easiest to observe on the first big yellow robot. I blank it with the shield until the fast bullet streams come out, at which point I switch to linear shot and back up a bit. Then when the lasers come out, I charge right up and blank it with the shield again and the lasers are forced to turn around but never make it close to hitting me.