ST: BATSUGUN!

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Icarus

Re: ST: BATSUGUN!

Post by Icarus »

sh4dow wrote:if you get about 60K for each of the two and four times, wouldn't that be 120K x 4 = 480K?
If it's the part I'm thinking of in stage5, the section after the platform on rails, it's 59,630 for EACH ROUND TANK, and there's a big swarm of them, easily 80 or more.

http://bigcore.rsdio.com/icarus/batsugu ... gs_icr.avi
sh4dow

Post by sh4dow »

ahhh that's the part he meant... thanks :)
Thunderprince

Post by Thunderprince »

Been playing special version a lot, I can 1cc the first loop and get to stage 4 of the second loop before I lose. What I have been wondering is: does it still count as a 1cc if its just the first loop? or would my Batsugun "street-cred" be more secure if I 1cc normal version?
*edit*
Can now 1cc the first loop consistently. Huzzah!
ave

Post by ave »

I used to call it a "1cc" although I would say it doesn't really count. The 1st loop is extraordinarily easy in terms of survival, so I wouldn't dare bragging with it :lol:
THE ETERNAL
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

Is it just me or is the 4th level boss just completely over the top? I got to Jupiter for the first time today. I'm playing on a tate'd 28" CRT, Saturn port, s-video. It's a pretty good setup. Anyway, this shit is hard. I can barely even make out the bullets because the colors are all so bright and shit and fast and it's all a blur.

I'm just venting, but this is a major difficulty spike from the stage 3 boss.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Burgerkingdiamond:

Yes, you should experience a sudden increase in difficulty. Which version are you playing, Normal or Special? The increase is really sharp in the normal version. Are you using autofire? Which character?
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

How do the difficulties compare overall between the two versions??

Been playing the saturn port, and not sure which version I want to buckle down with. Special definitely looks nicer
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

Randorama wrote:Burgerkingdiamond:

Yes, you should experience a sudden increase in difficulty. Which version are you playing, Normal or Special? The increase is really sharp in the normal version. Are you using autofire? Which character?
Hey. I've been using Jeeno and Iceman. But on that particular run it was Iceman. And I was using normal and c-shot as I felt necessary during the game, but on that boss I had to use regular shot because c-shot made it impossible to make out any enemy bullets.

I'm playing the regular version. What's the difference between it and Batsugun Special Ver.? I know it's there but I've never bothered to give it a spin.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

burgerkingdiamond wrote:
Randorama wrote:Burgerkingdiamond:

Hey. I've been using Jeeno and Iceman. But on that particular run it was Iceman. And I was using normal and c-shot as I felt necessary during the game, but on that boss I had to use regular shot because c-shot made it impossible to make out any enemy bullets.

I'm playing the regular version. What's the difference between it and Batsugun Special Ver.? I know it's there but I've never bothered to give it a spin.
Special Version features loops 4 times. The stage order goes like 1-2-3-4-5-2-3-4-5-3-4-5-4-5. Also, whenever you level up, you get a shield. Every loop, the exp you gained is multiplied by 2. You practically get shields/bombs every few enemies in the fourth loop.

However, with each loop, suicide bullets appear. Second loop has small ones, third has medium ones, fourth has HUGE ones that turn into medium ones. It's bizzare. It's also about a 1 hour and 10 minute clear.

I prefer it way over the original.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Thank you!

To add, the smart bomb is different too. It actually covers the screen in special.

There are also pig differences (lavender ones that give exp appear in special, as well as the peach-colored ones)
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

With Iceman, you need to use the normal C-shot and aim to destroy one of the big cannons. Then, you can just focus on the core. The spread it shoots is easy to dodge, since it covers a 30' radius. Let it aim at you, then move to one side.

For instance, destroy the left big cannon, then make the central core shoot at you when you're in front of it, and side-step the pattern to the left.

Shoot down the rotating laser things launched from the back cannons when they appear, and destroy tanks before they spawn. If you're going for survival, the tanks must be destroyed before they shoot. It takes a bit of practice and time, but then it is quite doable.

Is everything clear?
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

burgerkingdiamond wrote:I'm playing the regular version.
In addition to what others have already said, your hitbox is also smaller, and IIRC some of the colors have been changed around.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Crosspost from the Hiscore topic.

Maybe you can update the main post with these information.

About the macro: It's actually not about a command you have to enter quickly, but simply about holding the right directions when destroying the object in question.

Stage 2: Hold RIGHT+DOWN
Stage 3: Hold DOWN
Stage 5: Hold LEFT+DOWN

And we have some exact numbers for the bonusses:

The stage 4 boss trick with all red tanks lined up is worth 1,311,680 per bomb.
The platform trick on stage 5 gives you 3,279,650 points.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Holy crap, you only have to hold DOWN on stage 3? That is awesome.

I spent last night practicing that stage 4 boss trick. Didn't notice that there were destructable guns on the front of the ship, which explains those annoying flashy balls that come out once one of the lazers is dead. I think now that I know that, I can at least get a few of those bomb tricks off. Seems really tough in that replay once the boss starts throwing those huge bullets.

Thanks a bunch Plasmo.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

Heres a video that pretty much makes the second phase of Jupiter trivial. Even in the fourth loop. I wat'd so hard. http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm591495

If you don't have an account at nicovideo, use this http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

I got pink pigs in stage 4 (i.e. not mentioned in the guide) after destroying a large, almost round miniboss about the middle of the level.
Special version set to Japan/easy in MAME, type B, level 3, full power.
The pigs appeared briefly and scrolled off fast in the destroyed hull of the miniboss; I saw 4 (in a square formation) but there might be more.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Those pigs should be beige, i.e. the normal ones. They appear after one mid-boss.
Can you remember if you were holding any direction, when you triggered them? So, we can try to confirm the info.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I get those pigs everytime, far as I recall.

The boss takes too damn long to die though, so they float off screen.

Side note: I think I've almost got the Jupiter trick working, so I can finally start really playing again. Sucks not having a stage select
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

ratikal wrote:Heres a video that pretty much makes the second phase of Jupiter trivial. Even in the fourth loop. I wat'd so hard. http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm591495

If you don't have an account at nicovideo, use this http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html
Sorry for the 2x post. Is this on youtube anywhere? My phone won't play it, even at mmcafe.
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

Randorama wrote:Those pigs should be beige, i.e. the normal ones. They appear after one mid-boss.
Can you remember if you were holding any direction, when you triggered them? So, we can try to confirm the info.
I was bombing the miniboss at point blank, in the middle of the screen (with the destroyed hull immediately slipping past me); I can't tell my movement direction, but I cannot have been holding it very long.
The pigs were normal ones (I'd call the two pig colours pink and lavender rather than beige and pink)
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Just getting into this game, was messing around with the shottypes and I noticed something that doesn't seem to have been mentioned. The full-screen bomb attack in the Special Ver. is actually present in the original version. It's actually the bomb type used for dual bombing! If you're playing 2 players and both players use a bomb at the same time, the bomb animation will change from the more localized swirling orbs to the fullscreen attack. You can have the first player bomb, and just before it's up have the second player use a bomb to turn it into the team bomb version (which appears to do rather a lot of damage). Obviously this eats up two bombs and only applies in coop, but still.

The Special Ver.'s bomb is basically just a 1P equivalent of the coop bomb (there's no team bomb in the Special version anymore).

Few questions: where's the hitbox in each version? I'm having trouble finding a graphical overlay indicating the approximate position of the hitboxes for each ship in each version.

Is there a 'best' ship or are they actually pretty well balanced in terms of ease of use?

What are the differences between region settings via the dip switches? I assume the high score version uses the Japanese one, but is there any gameplay/difficulty/rank difference if I play the Europe/USA version instead for english text?
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Cross-posting this from the shmups questions thread:

In Stage 5, when you uncover 2 rows of large stars near the end of the stage, sometimes they are worth 10k points, and sometimes they are not. This is the only spot I have seen it happen. What causes this? I would assume either a certain amount of medals collected, or another random input, but I can't figure it out!
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

I think it's just a certain amount of medals collected. If you die in the middle of Stage 5, you don't get the bonus' at the end.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

If you collect 50 big stars you get the bonus from there on. If you die, the counter resets. It's not worth much anyway though.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Just getting into this game, was messing around with the shottypes and I noticed something that doesn't seem to have been mentioned. The full-screen bomb attack in the Special Ver. is actually present in the original version. It's actually the bomb type used for dual bombing! If you're playing 2 players and both players use a bomb at the same time, the bomb animation will change from the more localized swirling orbs to the fullscreen attack. You can have the first player bomb, and just before it's up have the second player use a bomb to turn it into the team bomb version (which appears to do rather a lot of damage). Obviously this eats up two bombs and only applies in coop, but still.

The Special Ver.'s bomb is basically just a 1P equivalent of the coop bomb (there's no team bomb in the Special version anymore).

Few questions: where's the hitbox in each version? I'm having trouble finding a graphical overlay indicating the approximate position of the hitboxes for each ship in each version.

Is there a 'best' ship or are they actually pretty well balanced in terms of ease of use?

What are the differences between region settings via the dip switches? I assume the high score version uses the Japanese one, but is there any gameplay/difficulty/rank difference if I play the Europe/USA version instead for english text?

Better late than never. BKR, can you tell me which part you would like edited in the guide, and in which section? I have not read this material in ages, and I'd prefer an external comment on how to proceed.

EDIT: Does anyone want to re-write a better ST? Please, if you want, you can re-write everything from scratch, and we can cancel this guide.
max2016

Post by max2016 »

So I managed to activate a tilt warning while playing this in MAME after saving a state. The game restarted. Anyone else had this happen?
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

I wonder if there are more scoring tricks for Batsugun original, either the WRs do Jupiter milking timeout in an inhuman way or there are some hidden scoring tricks we don't know about yet, no idea how to get more than 20-21m.