RQ: DDPDOJ - Hyper Usage

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
uwfan

RQ: DDPDOJ - Hyper Usage

Post by uwfan »

Post subject: RQ: DDPDOJ - Hyper Usage
slateman

I know, another DDPDOJ thread....I just love this game....

Ok....I've been getting better at DOJ and one reason is that I'm learning how to use hypers more. However I had a question about WHEN to use them.

If you check out the super replay on the DOJ game (not the dvd) and check out the 2nd level you'll see that the player holds off on using his hyper for a while. Now, he has like 4 hypers banked, but when he does use them his hit count goes up FAST. I know that's b/c he's got 4 hypers, but can anyone tell me why he waits? Do you wait for more enemies to be on screen? Do you wait for more bullets to be on screen? Does the amount of bullets on screen really help?

Thanks...

http://www.planettonyhawk.com/
http://www.godflesh.com/
http://www.slateman.net/

Fri May 07, 2004 7:44 am

Mode7
Gunslinger

Post subject:

Quote:
Do you wait for more enemies to be on screen?

Yup. Also, it helps to think of it in terms of the entire duration of your hyper run, and not just whatever happens to be on screen at the moment.

Quote:
Do you wait for more bullets to be on screen?

Points gained through the multi-hyper bullet-to-star conversion are really negligible.

Fri May 07, 2004 11:16 am

uwfan_us

Post subject:

Mode 7, can you pinpoint specifically why he waits til he has 4 Hypers in this stage?

[I have read other posts where people say you should avoid using more than 1 hyper at a time.]

Additionally, is hyper usage in boss battles good/bad?
I am assuming bad overall becuase the bullet patterns gets faster/harder, right?

Fri May 07, 2004 11:23 am

slateman

Post subject:

Mode7 wrote:
Quote:
Do you wait for more enemies to be on screen?

Yup. Also, it helps to think of it in terms of the entire duration of your hyper run, and not just whatever happens to be on screen at the moment.

Sorry, but I don't quite follow you here. I'm asking about starting hypers and when is the ideal moment. I will only start a hyper when I feel I can chain past the initial part....but when is the perfect moment to start? Get as many enemies on screen at once then I guess?

uwfan_us.....
I read a thread when writing my DOJ faq where someone said they didn't recommend using hypers on any boss battle past the 2nd one. I find that if I can manage to get a 2nd hyper by the end of the first stage, I can get a MUCH higher chain count on the boss (like 400 vs 50) which yield a ton more points. But I also have problems dodging über-fast boss bullets.

As for why the player waits to have 4 hypers....all I know is that he tallies up a 400 hit combo in like 20 seconds using 4 of them....seems like good practice to me!

http://www.planettonyhawk.com/
http://www.godflesh.com/
http://www.slateman.net/

Fri May 07, 2004 11:34 am

Mode7
Gunslinger

Post subject:

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't quite follow you here. I'm asking about starting hypers and when is the ideal moment.

Allow me to (hopefully) improve my wording: you want the greatest concentration of enemies not just at the start of your hyper run, but throughout its duration. So determining the ideal point at which to start a hyper is also to consider where that same hyper will end.

Quote:
[I have read other posts where people say you should avoid using more than 1 hyper at a time.]

Good advice if you're playing solely for survival. Otherwise, disregard. If playing for score and doing a good job of it, you can expect the rank to actually rise well beyond the levels you can specify in simulation mode by the time you reach stage 4. This is thanks largely to liberal hyper use.

Quote:
Additionally, is hyper usage in boss battles good/bad?

Again, good for score, not so great for survival. I wouldn't recommend it solely for building large hit counts and boss bonuses, but rather for accruing additional hypers. With the exception of the stage 4 boss, who's good for a little bit of both.

Fri May 07, 2004 11:53 am

Icarus

Post subject:

Quote:
Allow me to (hopefully) improve my wording: you want the greatest concentration of enemies not just at the start of your hyper run, but throughout its duration. So determining the ideal point at which to start a hyper is also to consider where that same hyper will end.

this definitely becomes more important the more you begin to improve at DDPDOJ. when you play the stages as normal, pay close attention to sections of the stages where enemies seem to swarm at you - the masses of tanks after the group of flyers in stage 1, the first part of stage 2 before the two large tanks, and again in stage 2 at the tank hangars before the boss, among others - and try to stock as many Hypers as you can for these specific sections, to maximise your hit count.

take the tank hangars before the second stage boss as an example. with no Hyper play, you can achieve at best around 300hits here. coming into this same section with five Hypers can net you 1,100 hits instead

as for why the superplayer waits to use the Hypers, its because he keeps them for the really profitable section in that stage.

Fri May 07, 2004 4:03 pm

raiden

Post subject:

picking up bees increases your hyper bar more if you don´t have the hyper beam activated, so it´s good to squeeze hyper usage between bee pick-up and vice versa.

Sun May 09, 2004 1:26 am

Darkcomet72

Post subject:

Well, If you have five hypers in your stock, Everything you'll hit will be worth 5X more hits than before(Not exactly 5 hits, but the Hit meter will go up twice as fast).

Mon May 10, 2004 4:09 pm

chtimi

Post subject:

what is the requirement to get 2 hypers from the side parts of stage1 boss?
i think i used to know it but can't find the info anywhere.
about using hypers against bosses, the only one where i do it is the stage3 boss: stage2's confuses me with the needle spray, and stage1, i end up destroying the side parts while in hyper-->i get big stars instead of hypers. that's strange, the super replay dude get more hits without destroying them. the 2 side parts share the same HP, right?
i finally learned to chain stage1 entirely and the 1st half of 3, and stage2 is on it's way.

DANGUN FEVERON HI-SCORE THREAD

Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:58 am

Icarus

Post subject:

chtimi wrote:
what is the requirement to get 2 hypers from the side parts of stage1 boss?

Destroy the two side turrets while they are spinning around the boss.

chtimi wrote:
...and stage1, i end up destroying the side parts while in hyper-->i get big stars instead of hypers. that's strange, the super replay dude get more hits without destroying them. the 2 side parts share the same HP, right?

Whenever you're in Hyper mode, any Hypers on screen will be converted to giant stars. Bit of a waste if you ask me
The two side turrets on the stage one boss have independent HP levels of their own. The trick to getting a big hitcount and both Hypers on the stage one boss is to use Hyper mode to damage one turret until it is flashing, then the body until the damage bar is at critical, then Hyper the other turret until it is flashing. Wait until Hyper mode cancels out, then destroy the turrets when they are spinning around the main core of the boss. After this, you should be set up nicely to destroy the boss.

Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:55 am

Darkcomet72

Post subject:

Icarus wrote:
The two side turrets on the stage one boss have independent HP levels of their own. The trick to getting a big hitcount and both Hypers on the stage one boss is to use Hyper mode to damage one turret until it is flashing, then the body until the damage bar is at critical, then Hyper the other turret until it is flashing. Wait until Hyper mode cancels out, then destroy the turrets when they are spinning around the main core of the boss. After this, you should be set up nicely to destroy the boss.

Unfortunately, this method Does not set you up for the possible 2500 Hits in stage 2. Stage 2 can be worth a Plethora of points, even moreso than stage 4.

Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:31 am

Icarus

Post subject:

Darkcomet72 wrote:
Unfortunately, this method Does not set you up for the possible 2500 Hits in stage 2. Stage 2 can be worth a Plethora of points, even moreso than stage 4.

It's tricky to do the Hyper trick on the stage boss, because the Hyper that is activated makes the speed and number of bullets often impossible to deal with. I personally tend to ignore Hypering on the first stage altogether, so I start the second stage with a maximum of 5 Hypers.

My Hyper distro method in stage 2 varies, from [4-hyperless-3 = 1,800hits] to [4-1-1-1 = 2,000hits], and it depends on how filled my Hyper gauge is when I start the stage.

the Hyper distro method you speak of - for 2,500hits - is a [5-hyperless-4], and I remember seeing a replay of it on Arika's site. Interesting stuff...

The one thing I love about Daioujou is the depth to the Hyper distribution scoring gimmick. On one hand, you could save multiple Hypers for enemy-filled sections and gather tons of hits. On the other hand, you can spread out Hyper usage so you have maximum possible hit totals for each bee that appears, which increases score.

Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:16 am