GD: Strikers 1945 (I)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
it290

GD: Strikers 1945 (I)

Post by it290 »

Okay, pretty simplistic game, but I've been playing it a fair bit lately and I'm curious about plane selection, milking techniques, rank, boss strategies, etc. Anyone care to enlighten me?

<changed RQ to GD -inc.>
it290

Post by it290 »

Bumping my own thread here for the hell of it. Based on the high score thread, it seems everyone is using the P-38 or the Bf-109. I've been experimenting with both, and I like the P-38 a bit better since you can take enemies down a bit faster on average, and the charge shot charges quicker and has better coverage. However, it's too slow and big for my tastes, so I've decided to use another plane for now -- the Spitfire. The Spitfire has a nice forward shot, and its charge shot is quite good, especially if used to point blank enemies (which can be risky). It's also good for taking down specific boss parts, since you can use the fire shots to help you target more precisely.

Speaking of boss parts, I have a lot more trouble with bosses than I do with the stages (to be expected, I suppose). Currently I generally make it to 1-5 or sometimes 1-6, and I try to target boss parts whenever possible. Do you guys think it's worth it pointwise to do this and piss off the boss, risking a silly death, or should I just concentrate on their main bodies, thus probably lasting a little longer? I have yet to break the score needed for an extend, so those three lives are really valuable.

Also, about the rank -- I've tried bumping into enemies to power down (after having four powerups), but the game doesn't seem to actually let up at all until I die. I've been sticking with three powerups for the most part -- should I be going for four and trying to score bonus points for extra powerups, or am I better off using fewer powerups? At what point does your power level start to affect rank?
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

it290 wrote: I've been experimenting with both, and I like the P-38 a bit better since you can take enemies down a bit faster on average, and the charge shot charges quicker and has better coverage. However, it's too slow and big for my tastes
Yeah, the Lightning would be the best plane if it was a little smaller. The charge shot is fast, but it's weak stuff compared to the BF-109. Bosses go down quickly with the BF's charge shot.

Give the Zero and Shinden planes a try, too. Zero's helper shot homes in on the closest enemy(ies), like the "free" setting in MUSHA, and the charge shot covers the entire top half of the playfield with firepower. I'm not the biggest fan of Shinden, since it's too fucking fast for precision dodging, but its bomb takes down boss forms in one hit. If you use it on the final form, where the worst bullet patterns typically emerge, you could save yourself some headaches.
Do you guys think it's worth it pointwise to do this and piss off the boss, risking a silly death, or should I just concentrate on their main bodies, thus probably lasting a little longer?
No, unless you want to be number 1 on the score chart. I never take out boss parts unless they're part of a nasty bullet spread (the Groundchaser's last form). This is where the BF-109 kicks a lot of ass - just park the charge shot in the middle and the boss his history in no time.
I've been sticking with three powerups for the most part -- should I be going for four and trying to score bonus points for extra powerups, or am I better off using fewer powerups?
Hm, not sure on this one. I'd try to get the extend as soon as possible before worrying about controlling rank. After all, there's a good possibility you'll steer into a bullet trying to dodge a power-up.
At what point does your power level start to affect rank?
It's immediately, as far as I can tell. The moment you pick up a power-up during a boss fight, for instance, the firepower coming at you becomes more intense.

I really like this game, BTW. It was only 10 bucks, and I have a lot more fun with it than Shienryu, which I also recently purchased for 40.
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

The P-38 seems even bigger in Strikers Plus with the smaller playing field. And its short-range(but very powerful) charge shot requires you to get close to enemies. The horror!
it290

Post by it290 »

Hmm, another note on rank -- I'm not sure, but it seems like powering down reduces your rank even if you stay at the same power level. For example, it seems as if picking up a forth powerup and then immediately powering down makes the bullets a little slower than they would have been had I not picked up the powerup at all.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

The P38 Lightning is the best plane if playing for score, but it's a bit bulky and slow (why I switched to the Bf-109 Messer). If you're not so great at dodging patterns the P38 is probably the best choice, because the bomb is so strong it basically kills bosses in one hit.

Just in case you didn't know, the ingots are worth more if you collect them while they're flashing gold. As far as milking, a lot of the time you'll want to take it easy on the bosses so more drones come out, the points really add up.

In Germany, there's a technique to trigger the Gunbird train, which is full of powerups worth 4k each after you're fully powered up, and 160k+ points is possible if you milk the boss. Against the Germany boss, you should take it easy on the first form and shoot the bombs it lays as well as drones, and milk the drones on the second form as well.

Personally I like to let the rank go wild until stage five (because I suck), where I run into two missiles in the early part so I have two powerups. Be careful not to power down more, because if you do your firepower is so weak you're probably going to die anyway.

Stage 7 is ridiculously easy, stage 8 kills me. That is all.
1up

Post by 1up »

I suck at this game. I can only reach 1-4 so far on one credit.

But I noticed that the blimp and train stages are easier than fx. the battleship

So its nice to start out with the Battleship level and then get to the "easy" levels (blimp or train) later on.

If I get the Battleship on level 2 or 3 I usually die 1 - 2 time at the boss.

Does the zero's lightning bomb do any damage at all or is it just a defensive bomb? Same thing for the spit fire special shot. The twirling bomerang thing. Does that do any damage or only for defense?
landshark

Post by landshark »

mannerbot wrote: Stage 7 is ridiculously easy, stage 8 kills me. That is all.
Depends on what midboss and what endboss you draw out.
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

This is the Psikyo game that gives me the most trouble. I don't think Dragon Blaze will give me this much problems once I get that game.

Some of the troubles:

-Close, fast in your face spread patterns.
-Once you are holding down for a charge shot, and not shooting, enemies gathered quickly.
-Too many boss parts.
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

The major problems I have with this one are the closeness of some things, like IlMrm mentioned and the unrefined charge shot. Also would be much better if 7 + 8 had been combined into one real stage.

How do you deal with the capsule (top/last part of the giant missile in stage 6) with the little ships swarming in around you?

Seems like you need to dodge straight up, but I'm very inconsistent here.

Also, how can I deal with the part on 5 before the boss breaks out without using a bomb? The little ground installation section.
DEL

Post by DEL »

cigs wrote;
How do you deal with the capsule (top/last part of the giant missile in stage 6) with the little ships swarming in around you?

Seems like you need to dodge straight up, but I'm very inconsistent here.

Also, how can I deal with the part on 5 before the boss breaks out without using a bomb? The little ground installation section.
I have your answers, having sat next to The Old Mills many many times on this game.
You're pretty much right about the ST6 capsule:- immediately go up and put your nose on it, pull down then sweep to a side, keep sweeping at the bottom until it dies.
The ST5 ground installation without a bomb - is possible. Mills starts his sweep from the bottom left corner and finds a cut-back 3/4 across. If he doesn't find it - he bombs. This is the only point on the 1st loop where he might use a bomb.

----------------------------------
I might have mis-quoted Mill's ship choice on the Strikers 1945 Hi-Sc thread. It was Bf-109 not P-38 for that run. (Not that it matters much, as he's ALLed both loops with all the ships).
Most recommended ships are Bf-109 and the Shield one (forgot the name :oops: ).
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Thanks DEL! I will try this stuff out soon.

Oh and tell Mills his Strikers loop video was amazing. I'd like to have seen the first round too...
DEL

The Old Mills

Post by DEL »

cigs - Sure, I'll tell Mills :D
& Congratulations on your mad Ibara score :shock: - you really did beat the shit out of it, as you said you would!

We may record another Old Mills run during the next London Meet. I think that Rando was suitably impressed when he sat next to Mills on the last one.

Cheers,

DEL
landshark

Re: 1945

Post by landshark »

DEL wrote: The ST5 ground installation without a bomb - is possible. Mills starts his sweep from the bottom left corner and finds a cut-back 3/4 across. If he doesn't find it - he bombs. This is the only point on the 1st loop where he might use a bomb.
This makes me feel better. I always bomb it at full rank. That initial spread from the 2 batteries is damned difficult to dodge. The P-51 allows for the shield technique. Beyond that ... I dunno.
DEL wrote: I might have mis-quoted Mill's ship choice on the Strikers 1945 Hi-Sc thread. It was Bf-109 not P-38 for that run. (Not that it matters much, as he's ALLed both loops with all the ships).
Most recommended ships are Bf-109 and the Shield one (forgot the name :oops: ).
P-51
landshark

Post by landshark »

On the tank boss (germany?), 2nd form, when he extends his turrets to the side to shoot a mass spread from both arms, how do you dodge that?

I've never been able to consistently dodge it and thus always use a bomb on it no matter if it's 1-1 or 1-4.

What's the secret?
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Mills

Post by Mills »

landshark wrote:On the tank boss (germany?), 2nd form, when he extends his turrets to the side to shoot a mass spread from both arms, how do you dodge that?

I've never been able to consistently dodge it and thus always use a bomb on it no matter if it's 1-1 or 1-4.

What's the secret?
the 2nd form is all about positioning for the BLIND SPOT. If you fight this boss on stage1-2, you can dodge it with a bit of practice and skill, however if you fight it on stage3-4, you have to position your fighter in the middle of the screen or directly below the turret arm just before it fires that attack. obviously, successful positioning of your fighter for this attack is about trial and error which even i dont get it right from time to time. Actually, i learned about that attack from japanese magazine GAMEST, when myself and a shump player from hong kong (KYL) was playing Strikers1945 competitively back in 1995..a year after its 1994 arcade release. i still dont know the thread or link for my 2nd loop replay is.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

http://www.super-play.co.uk/index.php?c ... gameid=132

You've got a 1945 replay up at superplay mills, I'm not sure if this is the one you're looking for.
landshark

Post by landshark »

Mills wrote:
landshark wrote:On the tank boss (germany?), 2nd form, when he extends his turrets to the side to shoot a mass spread from both arms, how do you dodge that?

What's the secret?
the 2nd form is all about positioning for the BLIND SPOT. If you fight this boss on stage1-2, you can dodge it with a bit of practice and skill, however if you fight it on stage3-4, you have to position your fighter in the middle of the screen or directly below the turret arm just before it fires that attack. obviously, successful positioning of your fighter for this attack is about trial and error which even i dont get it right from time to time. Actually, i learned about that attack from japanese magazine GAMEST, when myself and a shump player from hong kong (KYL) was playing Strikers1945 competitively back in 1995..a year after its 1994 arcade release. i still dont know the thread or link for my 2nd loop replay is.
I'll give that a try. I have a 2nd loop replay from a handy-cam from last year I think. DEL pointed me to it.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Mills

STAGE7 Mid Boss and Final Boss Select

Post by Mills »

For those of you shumpers that dont know this one, you simply line up your ship with the high score digits just immediately after you destroy those 3 little enemy satellite sized ships. 1000000 look at this 1 million score, then study this example 1*0*0*0 where you see the *, is the digit you line your fighter before the boss appears on screen. do this successfully and get one the three random mid or final bosses. select the far left * to get the 2 animated characters, middle * to get the rotating statue thingy, and far right * to get the flying witch (skill tip on the witch, WATCH HER FACE BEFORE SHE ATTACKS! if her face is angry, she will send her hardest attack wave of bullets. keep her face happy by not firing at her before she sends her attack. she will send an easier wave of bullets to dodge). on the final stage7 boss, if you line up with the far left * to get the scorpion boss(easiest), middle * to get the big mechanical boss followed by the little satellite(hardest), and far right * to get the little satellite followed by the big inverted delta-winged boss(2nd easiest)
DEL

!

Post by DEL »

^That's pretty detailed stuff there Rusevelt!
Good luck with getting your mitts on that 2.3mil Jap Replay!

Regs, DEL
landshark

Post by landshark »

Hey Mills - Gemant is selling a VHS of an S1945 replay where the guy gets 2.24 million. Just a heads up if you are interested.

Here: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=11438
Mills

Post by Mills »

:o Nice thought, but that score is low. ok, ok it blows up my score by a mile, but there are higher scores than that. i just arrived from a london session with Del (witnessing my tried and failed attempt with shinden and 109). anyway, im gonna stop by del tomorrow morning and session his supergun. ill play STRIKERS1945 on hardest skill setting and see what happens then.
DEL

!

Post by DEL »

Is there no-one with a 2.3mil+ Strikers 1945 replay??
Mills

Trying to find Swen666 and his strikers1945 2nd loop replay

Post by Mills »

Hey del, how i find this guy without going through the entire members list?
freddiebamboo

Re: !

Post by freddiebamboo »

DEL wrote:Is there no-one with a 2.3mil+ Strikers 1945 replay??
Could sven not get that dvd to an avi del?

I'm 100% sure someone else has this replay, but they could well miss this thread and the previous one we had unfortunately.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

We're trying. I haven't heard anything from sven since the last PM though.
DEL

!

Post by DEL »

Thanks Icarus, I'll ask sven how he's getting on with it.
& Thanks to freddie for the original headz-up.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

I realize that Gunbird train trick for Doramascher stage may be posted elsewhere, but is it possible that further review of that linked back to here since that other topic in the strategy section is long dead.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

mannerbot wrote:To do the trick, you hold your fire coming into Germany (or just don't shoot any enemies). Move your plane over the first tree as pictured if it's the first stage you play, or the second one if it's the second. Then, on the next line of trees, move it over the (middle if first stage, rightmost if second stage) tree and hold it there until the train appears.
mannerbot wrote:And this comes out, full of (12) power-ups.
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

If you can show this trick at your next meet, Dave, that'd be great.