GD: Pink Sweets ~Ibara Sore-kara~

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

If someone wants to take over this thread, feel free. Otherwise keep posting strategy bits here. I won't be updating the main post anymore though as I'm no longer playing the game.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

I'm just curious as I'd rather not probe in the HS thread, but what is the WR for this game?
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Limbrooke wrote:I'm just curious as I'd rather not probe in the HS thread, but what is the WR for this game?
Check out the main PS thread in Shmups Chat. I posted it awhile back, it's around 20.6 mil with Lace by a guy named YOS (or something similar).
jpj

Post by jpj »

can someone please explain to me the deal with the 'special power up'? seems i'm quite out of the loop on this game :oops: cheers
brumma

Post by brumma »

jpj wrote:can someone please explain to me the deal with the 'special power up'? seems i'm quite out of the loop on this game :oops: cheers
I had a couple of folks here explain it to me, and I still can't get the hang of it... :roll:
jpj

Post by jpj »

it's okay, i figured it out. not that useful tho really :?
brumma

Post by brumma »

jpj wrote:it's okay, i figured it out. not that useful tho really :?
Care to PM an explanation to me? Use small words so I understand. :wink:
jpj

Post by jpj »

does killing enemies and bosses with the options net you the same amount of points as killing them with the A button shot...?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

jpj wrote:does killing enemies and bosses with the options net you the same amount of points as killing them with the A button shot...?
No, A-Shot only usually gives more points.
brumma

Post by brumma »

I'm curious about something... On occasion I find that the rose hips / options are auto-aiming, but I can't figure out how they got they way. It's not a setting selected by the B button--it just seems to happen on its own. Does anyone know why or how?

Cheers,
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

brumma wrote:I'm curious about something... On occasion I find that the rose hips / options are auto-aiming, but I can't figure out how they got they way. It's not a setting selected by the B button--it just seems to happen on its own. Does anyone know why or how?
Yeah, its happened to me before too, I never really cared to find out, but believe its after you let a certain number of rosehips drop (3 or 4), and then pickup the next one will give you the auto aim. I usually just collect all the rosehips now to avoid this happening. I also think you can get out of the mode by pressing B to change configuration (please correct me if I'm wrong).
rtw

Post by rtw »

Could someone please list the known bugs in this game ?

I know there is an infinite bugs issue but what causes it ?

And are there any other known bugs ?

rtw
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

The only bugs I'm aware of are the infinite life bug (you need to get 5 spare lives, after that you can die but you don't lose any from your life stock), and the crash bug which happens after the infinite lives bug (if you die too many times at a really high rank the game can go crazy and crash on you).

You bought my board, rtw, and I tested it for the infinite lives bug. I got 5 lives in stock and died, and one was subtracted from the lives stock. So the board is the bug-fixed revision.
rtw

Post by rtw »

EOJ wrote:The only bugs I'm aware of are the infinite life bug (you need to get 5 spare lives, after that you can die but you don't lose any from your life stock), and the crash bug which happens after the infinite lives bug (if you die too many times at a really high rank the game can go crazy and crash on you).

You bought my board, rtw, and I tested it for the infinite lives bug. I got 5 lives in stock and died, and one was subtracted from the lives stock. So the board is the bug-fixed revision.
I know my board is fixed EOJ, but I was just wondering if there are
any other bugs. Thanks for clearing this up.

rtw
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
Dave_K.

Low rank strategies

Post by Dave_K. »

Some observations after watching the first few levels of GER's low rank replays: rank directly effects number of bullets, speed of bullets, and hitpoints of all enemy including bosses.

Quite funny how the bosses go down so quickly when you keep rank low by having no extra lives in stock. Its as if the game feels sorry for you and wants you to keep playing.

[update]Removed inaccurate thoughts regarding variable extends.[/update]
Last edited by Dave_K. on Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpj

Post by jpj »

okay... i had the rank EXPLODE on me today :shock:
just a normal medalling run, died once on stage 2 boss, picked up two 1-ups, and on stage 4, the section with the small boats, i took out his first gun, but his pattern with absorbable bullets was so dense you could barely see GAPS between the bullets. insane. made it though the snakes section with no deaths, but the stage 4 boss, on his second form where he shoots out blue absorbable (yeah i know it's not a real word!) bullets and has the gravity type things pulling you in different directions, those blue bullets filled the screen. literally. anyone else had sudden insane rank???

also, i think i figured out how to get the super-power-up right at the start of the game. i think that dropping icons etc can be *carried over* from one run to the next. on the insane rank, i died after bombing those helicopter enemies on stage 5 that all drop items. i dropped tons, and didn't continue. started my next game, picked up 1 power-up and i was good to go :) i had done this before once, but never really thought about it, because sometimes with shasta that super power-up can be as much of a hindrance as help. i haven't experimented with it yet, but if that does work, it's a nice little trick.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

jpj wrote: also, i think i figured out how to get the super-power-up right at the start of the game. i think that dropping icons etc can be *carried over* from one run to the next.
Wow, this has always baffled me whenever I get a super powerup at the start of stage 1. This is totally wacky if thats what happened (carried over from last game count)...sounds like another bug to me.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Dave_K. wrote:Wow, this has always baffled me whenever I get a super powerup at the start of stage 1. This is totally wacky if thats what happened (carried over from last game count)...sounds like another bug to me.
No, item count carryover is typical of Raizing games. See Garegga.
eretsua

Post by eretsua »

rtw wrote:I know there is an infinite bugs issue
infinite... bugs?
oh god no..... ;_;
rtw wrote:And are there any other known bugs ?
...infinity is not enough?
warning: a huge warning sign is approaching fast!
http://community.livejournal.com/the_dump_ever/profile/
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

I was just looking at the september 2006 issue of Arcadia. There is a big 4 page guide on Stage 6, and some other things. They reveal a secret (big scoring) spot in Stage 4 as well: you have to let those "burner boats" move up the screen and stop near the bridge, then destroy them. If you do this you get a huge medal shower. They say this is one of the tricks in the game for a high score.

Also, here are the names of the Stage 6 bosses:

Midbosses (in order):
Mint York
Cheese Korone***
Scramble Egg

Boss
Super=Nova (they put a hyphen in there for some reason)

I previously thought Cheese Korone was "Nova". The last boss is Nova and this is the part where Galford said you can get big points, if you milk it.

They also talk about the rank, and they say the worst thing you can do is use your Rose Cracker (this is the name of your bomb). Use it as little as possible, and you can still medal through the game and the rank won't be unbearable. However, once you start using it a lot, the rank gets out of control and the game will get brutal with no way to get it back down. If you look at GER's vids, you'll notice he doesn't use the Rose Cracker at all at least in the first 3-4 stages. All the non-fixed 1UPs are connected with a high firing duration as well. So this game does NOT want you to use that Rose Cracker.

--
***A "korone" is a type of Japanese sweet pastry.
jpj

Post by jpj »

cheers man, though i already knew that about the boats. it's about 10-12 medals, so it's only like 100k+ i think they have to be killed with the bomb as well
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Ah, okay. It's not that big of a point boost then.
jpj

Post by jpj »

can someone clarify the exact way to trigger the super power-up and the tracking rose-hips. i keep generating them by accident in SA mode and it's very annoying :P
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

jpj wrote:can someone clarify the exact way to trigger the super power-up and the tracking rose-hips. i keep generating them by accident in SA mode and it's very annoying :P
Special Power Up:
- drop four powerups (standard PO's, Wide and Rapid Fire switchers), the fifth should be blinking/flashing like crazy. Collect.

Search Rose Hips:
- drop four Rose Hips. The fifth should be spinning wildly. Collect.

I always take Special Power Up in SA Mode. Rank control is irrelevant in that mode, power is more important.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

How do you trigger the medal fountain from the boats on Stage 4? I don't remember seeing any relays that had this.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

dont destroy the boats until they stop at the end of their "river". then you can kill them and you get at least 10 medals
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

EOJ wrote:They also talk about the rank, and they say the worst thing you can do is use your Rose Cracker (this is the name of your bomb). Use it as little as possible, and you can still medal through the game and the rank won't be unbearable. However, once you start using it a lot, the rank gets out of control and the game will get brutal with no way to get it back down. If you look at GER's vids, you'll notice he doesn't use the Rose Cracker at all at least in the first 3-4 stages. All the non-fixed 1UPs are connected with a high firing duration as well. So this game does NOT want you to use that Rose Cracker.
I love the Rose Cracker. Stupid-high rank, HERE I COME! Hell, in Harder Mode I ride the Rose Cracker like it's going out of style.

One thing I've noticed is that destroying all of Scramble Egg's options really seems to jack up the rank (certainly after stage 3), not just for the command center unit (which showers the screen with shit in level 4 if you destroy all of the options), but for the rest of the level (I've even gotten the snake mid-boss to explode into suicide bullets as a result).
jpj

Post by jpj »

shit, yeah, i got that green suicide bullets on st4 midboss before.

i wonder if there are more secret medal showers in the game...???

also, could someone scan or translate some if that sept 2006 4-page spread on pink sweets, pretty please?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Thanks for the tip Plasmo. I wonder who figured this out if its not in any replay? Is there strategy discussion on some other boards I'm not aware of?

Kiken, when did you get a Pink Sweets PCB?
Kiken wrote:I've even gotten the snake mid-boss to explode into suicide bullets as a result.
I almost always have this happen to me. I guess I'm not controlling rank as well as a should, and probably the reason why I haven't even reached the end of stage 4 yet.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

talking about rank: today the third boss threw is bombs as usual but when they exploded with the green blob they also spewed out a ring of suicide bullets....never happened to me before.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube