RQ: Gunbird

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Pirate1019

RQ: Gunbird

Post by Pirate1019 »

I decided I am going to aim to 1CC something, so I thought I would start with gunbird. I have a quick question. Does Gunbird, or it's sequel have a rank system? If they do, could somebody explain it to me? Thanks.
"You are the Hero of Tomorrow!"
landshark

Post by landshark »

Most psikyo games have rank associated with the number of power ups gained and time since last death.

I can't give you an answer for gunbird, but most psikyo's share the same formula.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

Thanks. I always seem to hit a wall at 1-3 or 1-4. Maybe I should just stop picking up the powerups after i'm fully powered up. Does anybody know if dong something like using bombs will lower the rank?
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Pirate1019 wrote:Thanks. I always seem to hit a wall at 1-3 or 1-4. Maybe I should just stop picking up the powerups after i'm fully powered up. Does anybody know if dong something like using bombs will lower the rank?
If you 'rub' enemies, or hit enemies with your character/ship you will level down your shot, and IIRC it also helps with rank too.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

Thanks. I knew I could rub enemies (flying ones only) to power down my shot, but I knew it only to be a distraction, not something that lowered rank.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Pirate1019 wrote:Thanks. I knew I could rub enemies (flying ones only) to power down my shot, but I knew it only to be a distraction, not something that lowered rank.
I remember seeing a Strikers 1945 2 video and recall a discussion (not here) where whomever was playing managed rank by levelling down quite often.
I could be wrong so anyone want to correct me on this...
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

I have found out now that my biggest problem isn't rank, it is my conservative attitude towards using bombs. I need to be more lucrative in my bomb usage. I sometimes die with 5 bombs in stock!

Thanks for the help guys. I pretty much have routes planned through the stages now. I am reaching 1-4 more often now, although only once have I reached it with all my lives and all of my bombs.
landshark

Post by landshark »

I'm not sure if you can do this in Gunbird 1, but in Gunbird 2 you can sorta leech while fighting bosses by constantly powering down to the lowest level (or 2nd lowest). It causes popcorn enemies to occasionally fly on the screen. 1 of which will have a powerup in it.

You shoot the powerup one, crash into another, and then kill them all and get the powerup. Rinse, and repeat. You have to do this while dodging boss-spam though. It gets you a good amount of points if you can pull it off on GB2 (as well as Strikers 1945).
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

Yeah, you can do it, but it's beyond me. If I ever try anything like that I always screw it up somehow. Thanks for the tip though.

By the way, how many levels are in the first loop of GB? 7?
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

yep 7 stages. How far have you seen?

As for rank control the powering down on enemies helped me a lot in my 1CC of this game. Also if you are looking for the quick kill power down and immediately power up right before the bosses and you can usually stay at full shot power for the whole fight.

I might have a go on some of those milking ideas to give my score a boost too
Number of 1cc's : 5
Now playing: Gunbird
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

Haven't gotten much farther then before. I can still get to 1-4 regularly if I manage to withold my urge to restart if I mess up a single thing. Still need to be less stingy with my bombs. Strangely, my scores have been rising but my progress hasn't. Note that they are still rediculously small, but at least it keeps my patience up.