RQ: Blazing Star for Dummies

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
thesuperkillerxxx

RQ: Blazing Star for Dummies

Post by thesuperkillerxxx »

OK OK I know we are playing this for score, but I don't get this game.

How are people getting the bonus gem level to 5000 on the first stage? I have never gotten it to 2000, let alone 5000. Where are all the gems? What do I have to do to get these missing gems?

I am aware of the yukechan or whatever the hell it is trick for the power up items, no need to rehash that.

Please forgive my ignorance, thank you for your time.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I think what you have to do is keep blasting the things the boss fires at you which leave gems behind, and keep doing that without killing the boss. Doing a lot of this apparently wreaks havoc with the rank, though.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

You WANT rank to increase, and maximum rank isn't much worse than minimum rank.

Rank vastly increases the amount of destroyable projectiles the bosses fire at you. Every 8 score-yielding non-LUCKY targets smashed = 1 gem.

To get rank really high, you'll have to not fire at all during the time an event icon is active on you. The next event icon will be big and rainbow-colored and anything you destroy with the rapid shot or normal shot while it's active on you will yield a powerup icon, which increases rank by 1 to a maximum of 255. Doing this four or five times in the right places will max it out.

By Stage 3, it's no longer safe for you to attempt this trick, as there's a sprite limit and exceeding it will cause enemy bullets to flicker.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Also, it appears collecting bonus gems as the second player makes rank go up a wee bit faster.

Link
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

So, pissed that your charge hit chain doesn't do anything? Not exactly. It slightly shortens the delay that your charge bar is disabled after a break attack. You're meant to get a 10+ hit chain and then use your break attack, so that you can instantly start charging.

Powering up will also reset your charge delay.
unban shw
Sumez

Re: RQ: Blazing Star for Dummies

Post by Sumez »

10+ year necrobump! Rise from your grave!

There's something about the medalling in this game that I'm missing. Destroying the same enemies and never missing medals, the values I get seem uneven between games. Superplayers are able to reach max value before the stage 2 boss when playing at max rank, and I'm not even close to that (I think 30K is the best I did)

So does anyone know - do you need to remove all visible medals from the screen to increase the medal "level"? It's really difficult to see when it happens, since it takes a lot of medals to reach the next point step. Or is there some other thing I'm just not getting?

edit: Some quick testing only confirms my initial thoughts, that medal value seems to be only tied to a global value, and not the individual medal (as in Garegga). At least you can spawn a bunch of medals on screen and get different values from them if one of the first you take increases the value. Also, every medal that disappears off screen lowers the value one step, with no way to salvage it by picking up medals that remain on screen (again, as in Garegga).
So I guess that's pretty common knowledge, but that still leaves the question - why am I unable to build a higher medal value even at max rank, and milking everything I can? What did I miss?