shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:49 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 744 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
 Post subject: Re: ST: Battle Garegga (20.7.14 - edits, record replays list
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:40 pm 

Anyone have tips for getting st3 1-up with Shitta?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:48 pm 

The same as with any non-piercing ships with some modifications:

*Stay on top of the miniboss when it scrolls into view with standard option formation to take out the upper missile launchers.

*Afterwards - position options forward and shoot from the sides of the screen to take out the frontal turrets and damage the sides without destroying the center turret.

*Make sure to deal enough damage to the boss so you can kill him quickly when he's stopped.

For scoring: keep options positioned back when killing him off to not destroy the green planes with options.
Damage dealt previously is even more important for this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:09 pm 

What's the best strat to get more birds to come out of the Castle?
To bomb the Castle early or to bomb it for a longer period of time, or both?

I usually bomb on top of it, after the Castle passes the middle of the screen and only score 500-600K from them, with Miyamoto.
I'm playing the 2016 Arrange btw.

Another question i had is, in NOSE LAVAGGHIN MK2, is there a way for me to prevent the small wing turrets on each side to fire when the boss is doing it's final wide small bullet pattern? They usually criss cross and F me up.
Or do i have to straight up dodge it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:09 pm 

*poke* *poke* ---> shmups

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:05 pm 

Ey, Greg thread is alive!

I'd recommend you to watch the Q&A video as it should answer most questions.
I'm not sure wether the amount of birds totally spawned is effected by how long the castle is bombed or if it just increases the chance of getting several slow moving birds since they are spawned from as early as possible.
Miyamoto should bomb the castle asap to get more slow birds on screen when the screen scrolls up.

As for the propeller turrets; just destroy them both before you kill the core or straight up speed kill the boss by only shooting the center.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:16 pm 

Thanks for adressing both points. i have watched a lot of stuff, and read the thread but didn't find anything on these.
I am currently training the later bosses.

Still lovin' it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:17 am 

Glad to help! Hope you continue enjoying the game in the future.
For me personally it's the only game I've ever really played continuously in some form.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:18 pm 

Quote:
Needless to say, it’s to your advantage to put forth sufficient effort to keep the rank under control: if you fail to do so to enough of an extent, later stages of the game will become literally impossible to beat. Not “very hard,” not “extra difficult,” Impossible, with a capital “I”. That said, there are several things you can do to control and manipulate the rank in this game, as detailed in the following sections, so read on.

Sorry, Icarus, but if someone can clear DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou without dying once, then someone can beat the later stages of Battle Garegga on maximum rank. Other than this one skepticism, this is one of the best comprehensive Shmup guides I have ever read.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:45 pm 

I'd say the sheer number of enemies and the health scaling poses a bigger problem than the increased bullet density by itself. It's probably still possible with MMP Manpuku-style "bomb punching" but it's highly impractical to say the least. Actually just getting your rank that high in the first place is already pretty difficult.

For what it's worth Kamui does drive rank up to the maximum just before Black Heart mk.II by firing Gain's options off-screen at 30Hz (I remember there being a video of Kamui playing the recent M2 version with rank counter). Glow Squid at max rank is pretty ridiculous; keep in mind that the hitboxes in this game are significantly larger than those in Daioujou (also I'm not sure if anyone has actually no-missed both loops in DOJ thanks to the washing machine).
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:15 pm 

You make a good point. I just wish the hitbox size was a bit smaller...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:56 pm 

Aren't all the mame "max rank" videos actually hacked way past the rank cap the game allows? Max rank still looks doable to me based on the Kamui run, even if it's extremely hard

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:47 pm 

Bananamatic wrote:
Aren't all the mame "max rank" videos actually hacked way past the rank cap the game allows? Max rank still looks doable to me based on the Kamui run, even if it's extremely hard

Which is exactly what I am saying.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:22 am 

Bananamatic wrote:

No, I'm pretty sure kamui doesn't actually max out the rank because the game would likely end up impossible to clear like that.

Keep in mind that enemies (and bosses!) will have 3x the normal health at real max rank. The game is almost certainly impossible to 1CC at actually maxed rank.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:37 am 

Kamui does max out the rank just before BH2 in this video of her playing rev. 2016 with the rank graph: https://youtube.com/watch?v=A-d8dGvk5Sw

That said, her rank barely surpasses 10% for the first four stages and doesn't cross 40% until the stage 6 opening.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:18 pm 

Whew, that makes me look like an idiot :lol: Maybe Bananamatic's right about there being a rank cap, I don't know if I ever looked at how Garegga does it. In any case, you gotta be a god to play at max rank, so the comment about trying to keep it low still applies unless you're already close to WR. At which point why are you reading an ST :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:20 pm 

I notice rank creeps up with consecutive playthroughs on the PS4 version's arcade mode (as it did on the Saturn and arcade versions). How do I reset it back down again?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:45 pm 

Martinov wrote:
I notice rank creeps up with consecutive playthroughs on the PS4 version's arcade mode (as it did on the Saturn and arcade versions). How do I reset it back down again?

Selecting "Game Reset" from the menu should take care of that, it behaves like a PCB reboot.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:06 pm 

I just had to post this in reply to trap and Shepardus:
What's signified as 100% in the M2 port is not truly max rank. i.e. there is no rank cap afaik (aside from actually reaching max rank or a rank value of 0x00000...)
The 100% value was chosen based on at what rank BH2 spawns the most grenades that you can actually destroy quickly with Gains bomb.
The highest you should ever take rank if you care about score so to speak. Way higher rank makes the grenades have too much HP.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:16 pm 

Learning this game takes his time, and i have been re-reading the strategy sections again.
The guide seems to be missing several screenshots. Could we bother Icarus a bit to refresh the links? Is he around?
Maybe somebody has the screenshots saved somewhere, and they could be kind enough to share?

Cheers :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:55 am 

so photobucket killed some of pics here

edit:
oops already mentioned

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:32 am 

Here's a page backup with all the screenshots intact.
DEC 06 2015

If icarus eventually comes around, he can rehost the screens.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:39 pm 

Quote:
However, MAME players will need to get both battleg (Garegga parent set) and battlega (Asian territories set). Load battlega in MAME, and when the game appears, press the TAB button, and negotiate to the Dipswitches menu. From here, change the Region to JAPAN, and the Bonus Lives option to NONE, then reset the emulation via the main TAB menu.

Where do you get these, and how do you load them into MAME?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:09 pm 

The romnames have changed since that was written, you should just need "bgaregga" now.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:12 pm 

I've come back to this game, working on scoring with the Silver Sword. I'm still working on Mad Ball mk. I and II, especially the inner turret ring - I can't seem to figure out how best to understand the hitboxes of the three central turret types and the boss proper. I frequently either destroy the boss or the central turrent much too early, even when I think I'm positioned in a way that should only hit the inner turrets. I've also experimented with homing options, but they don't seem any better; they all just lock on to the center and usually take out the central turret. Any thoughts on the inner turrets specifically?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 744 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25