Nintendo to launch a new Gameboy Advance 2 system in 2005?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
zer0eight

Nintendo to launch a new Gameboy Advance 2 system in 2005?

Post by zer0eight »

Please tell me this is not so... what is Nintendo thinking...

If I would of bought a DS I would be fairly pissed right now. I have already read rumors of the next gameboy system going up against the PSP and Xbox 2. The Gameboy Advance 2 is supposed to be as powerful as the gamecube or something. In a article I read someone asked why release a new system so soon after the DS. The response was something like, the DS will be getting software in the future to make it like a PDA. So much for a gaming system, eh? It already started off like a weak N64... so I cannot imagine it will last to long. I guess it can be shelved next to the virtual boys. This is almost as bad as Sega and it's "lego" system method of upgrades back in the 16-bit days. Nintendo should of just made a badass Gameboy and bypassed the DS in my opinion. Looks like it will be a reality soon. Here is one article, but not the one that talks about the PDA software. Will look for that one and post when I find it again.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/592/592128p1.html?fromint=1

Laters,
zer08
Less than zero, more than infinity.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Wow, glad I didn't buy a DS.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

There is always speculation on what the next Game Boy will be, however, at this time there are no announcements about a new Game Boy SP product.
According to the Nintendo rep in the article all this is speculation at this point, though apparently it's popped up in more than one place...for now we'll just hafta wait and see. Of course, personally none of this affects me much, since I don't play portable games in general, but oh well.
shadowstar

Post by shadowstar »

I'll believe it when Nintendo says it.

Also:

"The report proclaims four reasons why it expects the system to show up by year end: one, Nintendo averages a new version of a Game Boy nearly every two years."

Ummm, since when? The GameBoy I remember has a decade of no updates at the start.
Kakizaki

Post by Kakizaki »

The GameBoy I remember has a decade of no updates at the start.
Then you weren't paying attention. There was the original GB, the GB's with the colored cases, then GB pocket, then GB pocket in different colored cases, then GB color, and there was also a GB model with a backlit screen(maybe not true back lighting, but the screen did have a light) released in Japan -- there may be some models in there that I missed.
shadowstar

Post by shadowstar »

Kakizaki wrote:
The GameBoy I remember has a decade of no updates at the start.
Then you weren't paying attention. There was the original GB, the GB's with the colored cases, then GB pocket, then GB pocket in different colored cases, then GB color, and there was also a GB model with a backlit screen(maybe not true back lighting, but the screen did have a light) released in Japan -- there may be some models in there that I missed.
I was talking substantial hardware updates. The Game Boy came out in what, 89? Then 98 for the GBC, and 01' for the GBA.
Last edited by shadowstar on Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

That article is all speculation. BTW, Nintendo already stated that the DS is not competing with the PSP and is not the next Gameboy. They already said that they had another Gameboy in development too. The DS is supposed to be a third pillar seperate from the Gameboy.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Yeah, not enough official info yet. However, Nintendo said long before the DS's release that it wasn't the official next iteration of the GB.
VNAF Ace

Post by VNAF Ace »

BrianC wrote:That article is all speculation. BTW, Nintendo already stated that the DS is not competing with the PSP and is not the next Gameboy. They already said that they had another Gameboy in development too. The DS is supposed to be a third pillar seperate from the Gameboy.
I think this decision might kill Nintendo's chances staying #1 in the handheld market.

Didn't they learn from Sega's big mistake? (i.e. Sega releasing the 32X in 1994 and the Saturn in 1995)

I'm still pissed off that Nintendo released the GBA (with the horrible dark screen) and then released the GBA SP a little over a year later. That was a BIG RIP-OFF.

If Nintendo keeps pissing off consumers, then it will probably be the end for them as a hardware maker.
IndyCar Series. One series. All the stars.
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

Can't Nintendo just hand over the company to me instead of just running it into the ground themselves?
Proud citizen of the American Empire!
Brian

Post by Brian »

Based on sales of the SP, I don't think it pissed off many consumers. In stark contrast, I think many consumers were pleased to see the new SP. It looked better and was lit. Obviously, Nintendo could have done this the first time around, but why do it when they can get everybody to buy it again? I don't blame them for it, why not maximize their revenue?
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

If anyone's going to get knocked out of the handheld race because of hardware, IMO, it will be Sony, with their absurdly high-priced PSP. Consumers will quickly realize that for $250, they could buy a PSTwo, or XBOX, and a GameCube.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
VNAF Ace

Post by VNAF Ace »

Brian wrote:Based on sales of the SP, I don't think it pissed off many consumers. In stark contrast, I think many consumers were pleased to see the new SP. It looked better and was lit. Obviously, Nintendo could have done this the first time around, but why do it when they can get everybody to buy it again? I don't blame them for it, why not maximize their revenue?
They got lucky that time. Of course, I like the GBA SP more than the old GBA, but Nintendo should've only released the SP.

Oh, and many consumers are pissed off at Nintendo due to their price gouging over the past 10 years.

Examples
- Selling N64 games for $59.99 and N64 Player's Choice games for $39.99 (compared to PS1 Greatest Hits for $19.99).
- Selling certain GCN Player's Choice games for $29.99 (compared to PS2 Greatest Hits and Xbox Platinum Hits for $19.99).

Why do you think Nintendo is in last place now? High prices played a role in that.
IndyCar Series. One series. All the stars.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

What really pisses me off is that both Nintendo and Sony see fit to release handheld systems that are as expensive, or more, then regular consoles. With Nintendo, the situation with the DS is no less absurd-the DS costs $50 more then their main console, the GameCube.

And I've asked an employee at my local GameCrazy store how sales of the DS have been going-he said that they've hardly been selling at all. Meanwhile, customers are still coming in to purchase Gameboy-SP's and software for that handheld.
Farewell to hollow words
jp

Post by jp »

The DS is Nintendo's little "experiment". It isn't in the console race with the PSP, they've said this countless times. The PSP will be going against the GBA2 which will be as powerful, if not more so, than the PSP.

Personally, I don't care. To me the DS is unique, innovative, and just all around fun to pick up and play and thats what I think gaming has been missing for a loooooooong time now.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Is it worth getting even if you have an N64? And if the GBA2 is meant to compete with the PSP, it couldn't be THAT much longer before it comes out-in other words, how much longer will the DS be supported?
Farewell to hollow words
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

Nintendo will do fine. Yes, in the console race, they're in third place. But the GameBoy offers an amazing safety net to fall back on, Nintendo is not in for money troubles. Just from the marketing from PokeMon they could probably afford to give away GameCubes.

I don't believe a word of that report, I don't see how some market analyst is in any position to be considered an inside scoop, it's all speculation. Although Nintendo does need to be careful about handling three systems, that is the kind of thing that could spell trouble if they aren't able to keep the flow of games coming for each.
system11

Post by system11 »

"Oh shit, we didn't realise the PSP was THAT much more powerful than the DS! Quick! Draw up new plans!"

Maybe there's even truth in the above speculation.

Be interesting when the PSP gets its official European launch. I've seen the things like a rash on train journeys already. Still only seen one DS. There's trouble ahead for Nintendo I fear, Sony owns Europe..
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

jp wrote:The DS is Nintendo's little "experiment". It isn't in the console race with the PSP, they've said this countless times. The PSP will be going against the GBA2 which will be as powerful, if not more so, than the PSP.

Then why panic and release the DS as some sort of stopgap measure? They could have simply ridden on the wave of the GBA, wait a little and strike after Sony had thought their system had secured a foothold.

Kinda like when the Saturn was launched prematurely, and the PS1 arrived the way it was supposed to.

It all brings back the memories of the 32X and the start of the 32 bit era.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Super Mega C

Post by Super Mega C »

Nintendo, the handheld company.
Button masher extrordinaire
"and on the eighth day, he stopped resting"
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Specineff wrote: Then why panic and release the DS as some sort of stopgap measure? They could have simply ridden on the wave of the GBA, wait a little and strike after Sony had thought their system had secured a foothold.
Because Nintendo wanted to make a revolutionary new product as they claimed, only to have it come out not quite so groundbreaking. Looks like their innovation block wasn't quite broken.

Anyway, it's similar to the 32X since Sega was actually claiming it could actually co-exist with the Saturn. Many people at the time were even confused why they should buy a Saturn when the 32X existed as a cheaper alternative. Obviously, when the Saturn came out, one thing had to fall and it was the weaker technology. Then again, on the same note, Nintendo claimed that the NES and SNES could co-exist together as well and the SNES didn't seem to suffer one bit from it.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

My problem with the 32X comparison stems from the fact that the DS actually has a good line-up of games, which the 32X did not, and doesn't cost anywhere near what the 32X did when it came out.

And I can easily see the DS and the GBA2 co-exisiting. Because if the GBA2's going to match the PSP in power, then it will probably also match it, or come pretty close, in price. And there are some gamers who will be content to stick with the cheaper alternative: the DS. Plus, I doubt that the GBA2 will have anything as revolutionary as the pen stylus and touch pad tha the DS has.
Farewell to hollow words
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Well, Knuckles Chaotix (AKA a mysterious 32X Sonic game), Virtua Racing Deluxe, Doom, Star Wars Arcade, and Virtua Fighter were all anticipated when the 32X came out. Not close to DS release certainly but not exactly a bore.

As for cost, the 32X actually retailed for exactly the same as the DS at release at $150. Of course, you needed a Genesis as well to use it. Not a perfect analogy for sure but it's similar.

Certainly the DS will continue to be supported for some time after the GBA2's release (assuming it'll be soon) but eventually, the more advanced console will prevail as long as it's cheap enough to satisfy the mean gamer.
jp

Post by jp »

My only problem with the DS/32X comparison is that the DS has probably already sold twice as much as the 32X did during its lifespan. 8)

But whatever. If the DS only ever got whats already been announced for it, I would consider it a good purchase.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
Brian

Post by Brian »

I don't think Nintendo cares about supporting 3 systems at once. For all the talk about 3rd place and so on, the company is printing money. All the really big hits on the Gamecube and the GBA are 1st party developed and published. That is pure profit as I am sure the R&D on the systems has been recouped countless times over.

You know, with the Gamecube selling 18 million units in the US alone it is hard to call it a failure.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

BrianC, Jp... Perhaps the DS is a "third pillar" or a "little experiment": but I'd like to hear what gamers will think of this if software support drops suddenly.

The market is no way large to sustain all these platforms. Why casual gamers should get more than one handheld? And this goes for developers too: it costs money to have a dedicated handheld / DS team.

Nintendo killed the GBC very early with the gba. IF this is not speculation, and they do plan to release the GBA2 soon, the two products will be in conflict each other, can't be avoided. I don't see Joe Average supporting both DS and GBA2 'cause the DS has stylus and creative games...

This reminds me of early Saturn days, when sega magazines had still Genesis, Mega CD and 32X reviews among the first Saturn ones... all those upgrades just generated confusion, and stolen away precious spotlight from Saturn.

For Nintendo's sake, I would put all my best efforts into DS games, building fast an impressive line-up of killer applications. In other words, I would focus on games. That would counterattack PSP launch and would be a sign that Nintendo does care about DS and that DS is "here to stay".

Learn from the Dreamcast, there's nothing worse than giving your public the impression that you're going to release a new hardware soon. By the time Sega released DC, no one still trusted them.
X - P - B
FRO

Post by FRO »

y2kgamer wrote:Why do you think Nintendo is in last place now? High prices played a role in that.
That may be the case, but as a GC owner, I can safely say that the biggest reason Nintendo's lagging behind is that many games come out for both the PS2 and the XBox, but they never hit the GameCube. Granted, we have some GC exclusives (i.e. Ikaruga, Metal Gear: Twin Snakes, anything Mario or Wario, Zelda games, etc) but the vast majority of great titles that hit the PS2 or XBox never hit the GC. I think Nintendo shot themselves in the foot w/ the mini-disc mentality. Granted, piracy may be more difficult in this scenario, but it makes their discs able to hold a lot less and gamers suffer for it :(
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

FRO wrote: I think Nintendo shot themselves in the foot w/ the mini-disc mentality. Granted, piracy may be more difficult in this scenario, but it makes their discs able to hold a lot less and gamers suffer for it :(
You know, I think the Cube not getting a lot of games has really nothing to do with its mini-discs capacity.
X - P - B
Strychnine

Post by Strychnine »

Turrican wrote:
FRO wrote: I think Nintendo shot themselves in the foot w/ the mini-disc mentality. Granted, piracy may be more difficult in this scenario, but it makes their discs able to hold a lot less and gamers suffer for it :(
You know, I think the Cube not getting a lot of games has really nothing to do with its mini-discs capacity.
You're right. Not at all. Sony has the market, Microsoft has the money. Nintendo has neither. I think most games would simply come out on PS2 if it were not for Micro$oft's bling bling. But its a catch 22, they don't come out with games for the GC because the market is smaller, and the market is smalle because they don't come out with games.

I love my GC. It's my favorite console this generation. Sure the connectivity thing never really paid off - but if you actually do ever delve into it - a lot of those games are tons of fun (see four swords or FF:CC).

And it looks a whole lot better than either the monster that is the xbox (Neon green is an awful color), and the monstrosity that is the PS2 (assemetrical design works only for people who actually design for a living. PS2 looks like crap).
The white clouds floating on the great blue sky
And the boiling red blood shed in fierce gaming
Those who give up halfway through
Their battered bodies will never forget!

Segata Sanshiro, Segata Sanshiro! Sega Saturn... shiro!
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

I love my GC because of Resident Evil 4. Nothing else. As wonderful as the machine is, as shown by RE4, it lacks some serious game power. Almost no Shmups, run and guns, light-gunners, 3d action (a la DMC) etc. It just got a ton of Nintendo games, and to be honest, they aren't as good as in previous generations (imo). There's still the new Zelda to prove me wrong.

I used to be a Nintendo bootlicker, but they lost my trust RAPIDO with their arrogance (they think they can make a console succeed by themselves. ha!) and the shit they pulled on me with the front-lit GBA "upgrade". The DS better last long because I'll probably get one for Castlevania DS, or I'll be forced to never again buy a Nintendo product.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"