ebay (and other) auctions with insane prices

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Skykid

Re: ebay (and other) auctions with insane prices

Post by Skykid »

Xyga wrote:^ Probably fake, seller and bidder(s) = accomplices attempting to push that shit's egay price through the roof, then scatter and sell their stock using various accounts/shops/forums, etc.
I've long been under the impression that larger stores practice this on their stock to fabricate overall values.

There are arguments to be had for and against. One, there are 17 bidders, but since ebay conceals all bidder accounts it's difficult to verify their normal purchasing habits. But looking closely, only two accounts pushed the sale beyond the normal $40 dollar range by a $160 dollar leap, and then continued to outbid each other to a clean grand.

Considering that the game is available in basically new condition for $38.99 right here there should be a really good case to highlight price manipulation in the used video game market to eBay - but they will always argue that there isn't enough proof.

In my opinion this is a clear example of a price manipulation tactic that's been occurring regularly over the last six years or so and you should boycott Yamatoku outright.

Tarma wrote:Whoa. Since when has Progear been worth $1000 even with paperwork...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Progear-No-Ar ... Sw5dNWqbpO

:shock: :shock: :shock:
That seller is a fucknut anyway, but it's not the most outrageous thing I've seen on eBay. The main part of that is the comic flyer included with the artwork - second to the rolled poster that's really the rarest piece, and I bought and sold one years ago on here for £100. I'm not sure what it's worth individually today.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Tarma

Post by Tarma »

Skykid wrote:
Xyga wrote:
That seller is a fucknut anyway...
:lol:

I've noticed that there are two Japanese based French "sellers" who are actually the same person with two different accounts. The fact they use the same photos to advertise is so blatant. Plus they advertise at two different prices, clearly trying to catch people out.

It's a shame eBay is fucked like that.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Tarma wrote:It's a shame eBay is fucked like that.
Auction businesses are based on what's basically legally-accepted abuse anyway.
If eBay would take action against all those assholes the company wouldn't survive another month.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

I'll be interested to look at the landscape in 6 months and see what Sol Divide is worth then. False auctions have myriad ways to inflate worth: it encourages people previously not interested to suddenly start snapping the game up at current low prices, will encourage half of those to start flipping them for three times that price, and at the same time reduces said game's availability, increasing demand.

Before you know it Sol Divide will be $100 rather than the $30 it's worth now. And it will still be shit.

Tarma

Post by Tarma »

Skykid wrote:I'll be interested to look at the landscape in 6 months and see what Sol Divide is worth then. False auctions have myriad ways to inflate worth: it encourages people previously not interested to suddenly start snapping the game up at current low prices, will encourage half of those to start flipping them for three times that price, and at the same time reduces said game's availability, increasing demand.

Before you know it Sol Divide will be $100 rather than the $30 it's worth now. And it will still be shit.
Meh, so there'll be a lot of morons out there with expensive coasters. :P

@Xyga - ain't that the truth.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Skykid wrote:I'll be interested to look at the landscape in 6 months and see what Sol Divide is worth then. False auctions have myriad ways to inflate worth: it encourages people previously not interested to suddenly start snapping the game up at current low prices, will encourage half of those to start flipping them for three times that price, and at the same time reduces said game's availability, increasing demand.

This kind of self-fulfilling prophecy is indeed a *thing* in economics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflexivi ... _economics

It can work the other way round too though. It'll be interesting to see when the retro gaming bubble finally bursts. :)
BIL

Post by BIL »

I hope it crashes like a motherfucker. Image Buildings falling into the sea and shit. Image Rarez will be rarez but this climate ain't pleasant.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Am I missing something? Hyper-Duel @ £429.99 !!!! That sounds a bit nuts to me. I remember buying it about six years ago and it was nothing like that level price wise - the world is nuts :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hyper-Duel-Se ... 1733987292
More Bromances = safer people
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

CIT wrote:

This kind of self-fulfilling prophecy is indeed a *thing* in economics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflexivi ... _economics

It can work the other way round too though. It'll be interesting to see when the retro gaming bubble finally bursts. :)
It will burst when we are all in old folks' homes and our wives/mistresses are throwing out our "rare items", or maybe a lot sooner for most of us :)

Only a few years ago anything old was regarded as being trash as "it wasn't 3D" and now these same people are worshipping "all that old stuff". I laughed at the time but I do enjoy the irony all the same - this is how you cultivate one of those smug smiles now is it not? :D
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

That Hyper Duel price is nonsense, no one will pay that. Ignore unsold inflated BINs by rule.

Casey120

Post by Casey120 »

Why pick on him, that's not even remotely the most expensive one :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hyper-Duel-JA ... 2120071193
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Skykid wrote:That Hyper Duel price is nonsense, no one will pay that. Ignore unsold inflated BINs by rule.
Casey120 wrote:Why pick on him, that's not even remotely the most expensive one :lol:

There is something pretty wrong going on here :D I paid like GBP 70 for mine - and I thought that was expensive at the time. This is one reason I prefer to trade for expensive titles these days with other Shmuppers.

Is it normal for people to be charging the next buyer for the import taxes that they paid? I never do this personally as I never pass on the P&P that I pay for a game onto the next buyer either. There is too much money involved at even the low levels these days I feel, but then I might be too old and appreciate sane prices a little more than some :)
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Casey120 wrote:Why pick on him, that's not even remotely the most expensive one :lol:

Minus spinecard too. Nice.

MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Skykid wrote:

Minus spinecard too. Nice.
He hasn't even got any photos - just the cover image he picked up somewhere. I would have less faith should I be dropping cash like that on an unknown :D
mnneurope

Post by mnneurope »

so, here we go again

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sol-Divide-Sega ... Sw7KJXEC91

I didnt comment anything on what was said after I posted first auction at yamatoku, but, I will now

(that price was off obv)

yamatoku is largest and best seller on ebay of JP games. END OF DISCUSSION. the FIRM dosnt ever ask why this why that how that happened or what not

u can cancel bunch of stuff u won off auctions after a month of not paying for them, u can "not receive items", tracked items, they will not ask u "what?"

and generally u can find a lot of stuff for a good price "not named" properly

just few months ago they changed their shipping from 8$ (which was exp to begin with) for 1 cart/CD to 14$ (which is shitty), and practically became rly rly expensive, for no obv reason

related to "jacking up price of ur items", pls tell me 1 proof for that based on that bidding history, lol, just lol

there was 1 more case on yamatoku, when I was interested in an item, it happened also, 2 bidders started b war and ended paying for Umihara Kawase CIB SFC over 200$, while there was MINT buy it now copies for 100$

so, dont blame the sellers for idiots, they are not always at fault :D
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

mnneurope wrote:so, here we go again

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sol-Divide-Sega ... Sw7KJXEC91

I didnt comment anything on what was said after I posted first auction at yamatoku, but, I will now

(that price was off obv)

yamatoku is largest and best seller on ebay of JP games. END OF DISCUSSION. the FIRM dosnt ever ask why this why that how that happened or what not

u can cancel bunch of stuff u won off auctions after a month of not paying for them, u can "not receive items", tracked items, they will not ask u "what?"

and generally u can find a lot of stuff for a good price "not named" properly

just few months ago they changed their shipping from 8$ (which was exp to begin with) for 1 cart/CD to 14$ (which is shitty), and practically became rly rly expensive, for no obv reason

related to "jacking up price of ur items", pls tell me 1 proof for that based on that bidding history, lol, just lol

there was 1 more case on yamatoku, when I was interested in an item, it happened also, 2 bidders started b war and ended paying for Umihara Kawase CIB SFC over 200$, while there was MINT buy it now copies for 100$

so, dont blame the sellers for idiots, they are not always at fault :D
I'm not sure what the absolute point is here but I believe the shipping price increase was due to false claims of lost parcels and as such too much lost income to continue on with. I've dealt with them since 2003 and never had an issue but unlike most people I generally only seek a single item every few years. The amount of volume they deal in now probably sees a much higher percentage of claims of lost parcels they decided it wasn't worth the headache and loss to continue on. From what I've seen this has had little effect on their business although it is early. Thanks to the large and constant volume of interesting goods demand should still carry on as normal for them, shipping increase aside. Most buyers I suspect are getting multiples which means combined discounts - if you're buying a single item, yes, $14 per is prohibitively expensive. It was good while it lasted.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
mnneurope

Post by mnneurope »

1 thing I forgot to mention, their "combined" shipping was rly rly good in like before 2014., and myb early 2015., but then, even if u use combined shipping no matter the size or number of games, it would seem that shipping cost would be the same or even more?!, just like it would - if u bought every item separately

which goes to that point that they had too many claims of lost parcels...
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

$999 for the 2nd highest bidder is suspect.

Hardly any auctions end on a round number.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Last month I attended VGSC 2016 in Paris, an invite only conference for top tier collectors and sellers of video games (console, coin-op, and everything in between). Keynote was given by some guy from the VGA (I forget his name) and was quite inspiring on the future outlook of this multi-segmented market. STV was also there giving a talk on cornering coin-op games in Japan. Both STV’s talk and the keynote touched on eBay as a primary vehicle for influencing consumers on current market prices. After STV’s talk, which BTW was quite informative on locality based inventory management and tax strategies, he admitted to me that the shmups forum, this very thread in particular, gave him some angst. He called out a few members as “being onto us”, but then chuckled that probably nobody is paying attention to them anyway.

With that collegehumor out of the way, I’ll give my opinion that it is not economically viable for a seller to shill bid up their own auctions to insane prices (like that sol-divide) as it means the seller is paying ebay/PP fees somewhere between $30-$40, and never actually selling the game. Having such auctions cancelled or gone through claims gives the sellers a strike, and again works against ebay seller standards, which would eventually boot them off the site if the have too many claims/cancellations. So I’d say its unlikely, unless said seller is new or plain stupid.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Did you give STV a nice punch in the face for us all?
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

The VGSC has strict rules around abuse of other members, and I don't want to loose my membership to this exclusive cabal. However I did run into him again in the airport on our way back to the states, so my wife give him a swift kick in the nuts.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Why were you invited to a mafia gathering ?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Dave_K. wrote:The VGSC has strict rules around abuse of other members, and I don't want to loose my membership to this exclusive cabal. However I did run into him again in the airport on our way back to the states, so my wife give him a swift kick in the nuts.
:D
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Also that Sol Divide is highly suspicious Dave. Random anomalous bidding wars inflating the price of a game that's approx 70% cheaper in multiple surrounding BINs just doesn't sit right.

Sounds like a nice event, although I know it's imaginary since I wasn't invited. ;)

Strikers1945guy

Post by Strikers1945guy »

Wonder if they had someone there to price and rate sealed games? Seems the French thing to do after all.
Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
BIL

Post by BIL »

As a matter of fact, yes - France's own JAPJAC flew in just for the occasion!
Spoiler
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Better angle:
Spoiler
Strikers1945guy

Post by Strikers1945guy »

BIL wrote:As a matter of fact, yes - France's own JAPJAC flew in just for the occasion!
Spoiler
Oh awesome now Lovecraft can have all his marketplace stuff appraised before he puts it in the for sale section. Wouldn't want a mate to get less the extortionate prices for sealed goods right
Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Better angle:
Spoiler

A perennial Gallic autorité, our frere JAPJAQUES... plus ca CPS CHANGER
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Yes my cuntry is home to many of the worst evil masterminds in the global retro games business. I'm not joking.
It happened because it is also home of possibly the dumbest crowd of 'collectors' you can imagine, soiling their underpants at the view of a sealed localized kusogue priced several times their monthly revenue (or bourgeois allowance).
Actually the more outrageous the price of any supposed random shit, the happier they feel, visiting their communities is fucking scary, especially because you can easily spot the businessmen among them, they're like queen bees browsing the babies they're breeding: "fellows I've got a super rare one here, sealed, - RARE - " - one week later, member KevinlolXD 20yo: "I've just scored a sealed JP Super 8/16bit Kusoge for €1000" other members: "wow! nice! congratulations, good price", "yes so happy, its going straight to the shelf, will never open it".