Easiest-to-Use Amiga emulator?...

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
dave4shmups

Easiest-to-Use Amiga emulator?...

Post by dave4shmups »

Unfortunately with computer emulators it seems that you can't just "drag-and -drop" to start a game. I would however REALLY like to try out some Amiga shmups, so what's the easiest-to-use Amiga emulator?

I had someone reccomend WinUAE to me, but I could not for the life of me figure out how to start up a game on it.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
system11

Post by system11 »

UAE is the only one that works at all - best start reading the documentation... Could be worse, I use the command line one, you have to hand edit the config file in places.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Winuae. That's the only route to follow nowadays.

There's winfellow too, which is a lot faster , but a lot less compatible.

The latest version of Winuae has a "Quickstart" option that's very useful for begginers...
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

OK, thanks!
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I highly recommend going to Factor 5's website at www.factor5.com and downloading R-Type, Kakatis, and BC Kid (aka Bonk's Adventure). They are offering them for free and none of them require a kickstart rom to run.

You have to choose a disc image for quickstart in Winuae, but to get the joystick working you have to go to the game & I/O ports pane and set the joystick for port 2 before starting a game. It's annoying how it doesn't save the settings.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I think it does save settings... in the EAB forum ( eab.abime.net ) people keep sending each other saved files of special configurations to run certain games or demos.

If you need help with kickstart files, PM me...
PsikyoFan

Post by PsikyoFan »

Of course WinUAE saves settings, but you have to tell it to. With the myriad of possible hardware configurations people tend to have one config for Workbench with full JIT and huge amounts of RAM, Picasso96 display then others for A500-compatible, A500+/A600 compatible, A1200-compatible, CDTV, CD32 and various RAM configurations.