Namco Collection PSP rocks!

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BIG

Namco Collection PSP rocks!

Post by BIG »

Got my copy today,and I must say that this nifty little gem truly rocks. All the new arranged titles look and play great,especially the new Galaga game. Best of all, the original Pac-man,Galaga,and Galaxian can be played via tate :)

Go,Namco!

BIG-
Brian

Post by Brian »

I should have mine tomorrow. NCS shipped it yesterday Priority. I mainly got it for Galaga. Galaga with boss battles sounds awesome. And 88 is my fave in the series, so I hope this one is close.. Does Ms Pacman have a speed-up option?
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

What, so it's basically the Namco Collection on GC and PS2? I like it, but still...it's the same stuff.

I wish they would stop milking the same Namco Collection and add in stuff from other collections, like Dragon Spirit, Ordyne, Rolling Thunder and a few others..
BIG

Post by BIG »

Brian wrote:I should have mine tomorrow. NCS shipped it yesterday Priority. I mainly got it for Galaga. Galaga with boss battles sounds awesome. And 88 is my fave in the series, so I hope this one is close.. Does Ms Pacman have a speed-up option?
Haven't spent much time with Ms. Pacman yet,since I've been spending most of my time playing Galaga Arrangement and Galaxian in the past few hours,though I must say that the Galaga boss battles are indeed awesome.

Tate'd Pacman and Galaxian are tops,also.

BIG-
BIG

Post by BIG »

LoneSage wrote:What, so it's basically the Namco Collection on GC and PS2? I like it, but still...it's the same stuff.
Does the PS2 and GC versions contain updated versions of Galaga,Dig-Dug,Pacman,and Rally-X?

If so,then it's definitely more of the same stuff.

BIG-
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIG wrote:
LoneSage wrote:What, so it's basically the Namco Collection on GC and PS2? I like it, but still...it's the same stuff.
Does the PS2 and GC versions contain updated versions of Galaga,Dig-Dug,Pacman,and Rally-X?

If so,then it's definitely more of the same stuff.

BIG-
The PS2, Xbox, and GC Namco Museums contain ports of the Galaga, Dig-Dig, and Pac-Man arrangements that appeared in Namco's Arcade Classic arcade games. There were two of these. The first one contained Galaga, Xevious, and Mappy Arrangement. The second one has Pac-Man, Dig-Dig, and Rally-X Arrangement. Xevious Arrangement got a port in Xevious 3D + G PSX. Mappy Arrangement was never ported and, like the other arrangements in the PSP collection, the Rally-X Arrangement seems to be different from the old one.

I love the GCN Namco Museum, though I wish the resloution was better for the arrangements. All three of them are extremely playable and true to the originals, but they could have looked much better, especially if a tate mode was included. The pixelation doesn't do the arcade versions justice.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Re: Namco Collection PSP rocks!

Post by Thunder Force »

BIG wrote:Got my copy today,and I must say that this nifty little gem truly rocks. All the new arranged titles look and play great,especially the new Galaga game. Best of all, the original Pac-man,Galaga,and Galaxian can be played via tate :)

Go,Namco!

BIG-
Wow, great to hear positive first impressions. My copy of the PSP game should be arriving on Monday - but alas I only have a DS at the moment and no PSP until the US launch :P , so I'll have to wait a bit longer to start playing the new Galaga. In the meantime I'll just stare at the box.

Here is the official Galaga PSP thread on the main forum if you want to write up a few gameplay/graphics/sound impressions there?
http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=553

:)
Brian

Post by Brian »

The new Galaga is very, very easy. I got to stage 5-2 before I had to quit the game to answer the phone. I am playing on default setting. Does this game get any harder??
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

I really liked Galaga Arrangement on the Collection for GameCube; it combined classic Galaga-gameplay with some new shmup innovations. The dizzy twirling of the screen during the bonus rounds and the addition of backgrounds (ooh, a nebula! sa-weet) make it all the more enjoyable.

I also really, really dig Pac-Man Arrangement; it adds so much more to the gameplay, not to mention the music's top-notch.
BIG

Post by BIG »

LoneSage wrote:I really liked Galaga Arrangement on the Collection for GameCube; it combined classic Galaga-gameplay with some new shmup innovations. The dizzy twirling of the screen during the bonus rounds and the addition of backgrounds (ooh, a nebula! sa-weet) make it all the more enjoyable.

I also really, really dig Pac-Man Arrangement; it adds so much more to the gameplay, not to mention the music's top-notch.
I wonder if these two Galaga Arrangements are the same? :?

BIG-
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Hmm, I do know that the Arrangements on my collection are ports of the 1996 arcade games in Japan...unless I'm mistaken. Now I'm interested in seeing screenshots of this collection :D
BIG

Post by BIG »

LoneSage wrote:Hmm, I do know that the Arrangements on my collection are ports of the 1996 arcade games in Japan...unless I'm mistaken. Now I'm interested in seeing screenshots of this collection :D
A few shots can be found here:

http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=553

BIG-
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Oh wow, it looks like an incredible update. That boss looks sweet! Definitely not the same as the GC ver, thanks BIG ;)
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

This feels like a big missed opportunity. They have PSP, the bestest tate screen in the world, and they don't put Xevious in the collection. I'm quite disappointed. :x
X - P - B
TVG

Post by TVG »

how do you manage to play a tated PSP? does it play fine or are the buttons misplaced for this purpose?
Brian

Post by Brian »

Actually, the TATE is pretty comfortable. It took my hands a little while to get used to, but overall it feels pretty normal. It could defintely hands a TATE shmup, no questions asked.
TVG

Post by TVG »

that's veeeeeeery good to hear, thanks.

despite its problems and sony attitude, it might be the best handheld for shmups, afterall.

the only thing thats bad is sony of america being retarded, sony of europe releases a lot of shmups.
BIG

Post by BIG »

Turrican wrote:This feels like a big missed opportunity. They have PSP, the bestest tate screen in the world, and they don't put Xevious in the collection. I'm quite disappointed. :x
Now,now,I'm sure there will be more volumes to come ;)

BIG-