Tekken 5 Joystick (PS2)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
CMoon

Tekken 5 Joystick (PS2)

Post by CMoon »

For those curious, this is basically the same arcade stick that came out for the DC. The stick is set in a square base so if your doing big street fighter super moves you might find this slightly annoying (but I found no difficulty doing it). The buttons are pretty nice. This is a solid, quality stick for cheaper than you can get otherwise--assuming you are interested in picking up Tekken 5.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

It's actually a bit bigger than the DC stick's base.

Not as loose, though...which is a GIANT plus. The buttons are also noticeably quieter than the PSX Namco stick's. The button placement for Square and X are about a centimeter or so farther away from the stick when compared to the original Namco...[obviously I'm not gonna use L1 for the shot button in Shikigami II now am I :lol: ]

The folks at Shoryuken Forums have been saying that this stick uses stock Hori parts instead of Sanwa. If that's true, it's somewhat of a downer, but it dosen't make that big of a difference on my end...at less than $50 ($50 retail for the Tekken game, plus the value of the extra case + artbook), this was a fucking steal...especially when Tekken 5 isn't a bad game at all in itself, and it comes with not only a small Jin Kazama 3D adventure game, but arcade-perfect ports of Tekkens 1-3, as well as Starblade. :D
Last edited by Skyline on Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

For those curious, this is basically the same arcade stick that came out for the DC. The stick is set in a square base so if your doing big street fighter super moves you might find this slightly annoying (but I found no difficulty doing it).
Why do people always say this. Square restricter plates are better for fighting games. For example when blocking or jumping, on a square base it's 100% guaranteed all the time, wheras on say a USA style perfect 360 sticks theres too much guess work where the diagnol is. People seem to think when doing a fireball on a square plate you need to drag the stick into the corner then push up, but theres no need too.

Square restrictor plates are the norm on jap sticks, not the exception. Ex:- stock JLF sanwa's, seimetsu, hori sc2/tekken4, Hori real arcade pro, namco stick, saturn virtua stick.......
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

I enjoyed the round base mostly for SF3 with the super cancels. I doubt this mattered too much for other fighters.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
landshark

Post by landshark »

Ex_Mosquito wrote:Why do people always say this. Square restricter plates are better for fighting games. For example when blocking or jumping, on a square base it's 100% guaranteed all the time, wheras on say a USA style perfect 360 sticks theres too much guess work where the diagnol is. People seem to think when doing a fireball on a square plate you need to drag the stick into the corner then push up, but theres no need too.
I agree. I put square-plate-sticks on my mame cab and never looked back. I built a joystick with the round plate before it and couldn't stand it as I was not very consistant with diagonals in shooters.
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

i love my tekken 5 bundle..so what if its not a HRAP...its a true hori and for 100 including the game, artbook, and dvd case..it was a good deal..i was so surprised that tekken 5 blew me away..it was one amazing game..although its visual are not up to par with DOA Ultimate...the gameplay blows DOA U out of the water...The stick is so much quieter than the Namco Stick...Im still planning to get a HRAP in the future because i love the silent sanwa stick..but until then ..the Hori is a great stick..I was really hesitant to buy the bundle once i heard it wasnt a HRAP but i said screw it..brought it home..the stick works wonders..with DDP DOJ...i actually made it to 1-3 on 1 credit..i never did that before with the pad..Im really happy with my purchase..and for any fighting fans out there..tekken 5 will leave you breathless
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
landshark

Post by landshark »

I'm gonna have to go pick this up (mainly I want the stick) - but I used to be a die hard Tekken fan. I stopped at 3 though.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

any pics of the stick? nobody shops them in the pre-order info.
I have no sig whatsoever.
landshark

Post by landshark »

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx_assets/speci ... _stick.jpg

I managed to track one down. All the EBs in the area received 1.

Tekken 5 is pretty cool. It was nice to be able to jump in, pick King, and play like I used to. Though a few of the moves appear to be missing, and a bunch more added.

Friggin last guy is cheap as all hell.

The stick is HEAVY. I was happily suprised.

Edit:

The load times are almost non-existant. Transitions to the next match (at least in story mode, haven't tried anything else) are pretty seemless.

And the loading screen when you turn the game on is some 3d space sim shooter game. Doing well in that probably unlocks something.

The last guy is pissing me off. Stupid fireball, stupid move canceler, damnit.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

That Tekken 5 stick looks...mmm yummy!
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

best fighting game i have played in years...the endings are breathtaking to watch..Namco really outshined themselves in this release....Kata..Who?
Ord

Post by Ord »

Could someone give a little more detailed analyisis on the game. I'm more a Virtua Fighter man myself but i did really enjoy Tekken 2 & 3 (hated Tag & 4 with a passion). Also is this a PS2 release only? I heard from somewhere a while back that this was an all formats release.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
landshark

Post by landshark »

Ord wrote:Could someone give a little more detailed analyisis on the game. I'm more a Virtua Fighter man myself but i did really enjoy Tekken 2 & 3 (hated Tag & 4 with a passion). Also is this a PS2 release only? I heard from somewhere a while back that this was an all formats release.
It's Tekken. The formula hasn't changed, only more moves and more characters. Unblockables. 10-hitters. Counters. Deflections. Multi-part-throws. Tons of moves. Easier to pick up than VF4.

I never played T4, but I heard it had multilevel terrain, which they obviously did away with as I have yet to see it in the game. It plays just like Tekken 3/Tag does.

I've mainly been using King, and he has an ungodly amount of multipart throws now. He even has some that start if you can catch someone in the air.

The main menu has Story Mode, Arcade Mode, Time Attack, Tekken History (access to T1 T2 T3), Battle Mode (up to 8 on 8).

Just as always, a certain amount of characters are selectable, and more unlock as you finish the game in story mode (so far).

In arcade mode, you achieve "rank" such as 1st dan or whatever (I have no idea how the rank works). Every time you win, you get money and choose from 1 of 3 next battles. With money you can buy stuff for your character, new hats, shirts, etc...

There is also a Devil mode where you play in a sorta 3d final fight I think. I haven't tried it, only read about it.

That's what I can rememeber off the top of my head.

Now that I have this controller, I might give VF4 a chance again as I couldn't stand it with the pad. I need to load up Shiki2 now too.
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

u gain rank from 9th Kyu down to 1st Kyu...then U start with 1st dan up to 9th dan..then shainan....you should fight people who are the same rank as you so you can gain rank faster...also in arcade mode, there are seperate ranks for each character..so you can go as far as you want with one character..when you start arcade mode again with a different character, you start at the begginning. The Devil Jin Within Mode is a 3d final fight and i beat stage 1..pretty addictive..and you gain money along the way to buy costumes..I love the costumes in this game...much better than DOA U...t1 t2 t3 are solid ports...plus theres a threate mode that lets u view endings, prologue which is a really cool feature..plus you can hear the tekken 5 OST..this game is packed with alot of shit. story mode is cool too...i've unlocked all the characters except devil jin (been playing on easy, 1 round) :lol: