Mr. Driller Great (and the series in general)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
benj

Post by benj »

The 17,000 run was obviously just a fluke, since this is my next best score, and I had to work pretty hard for it.
Neon wrote:you cowardly fucks.
C'mon people, make Neon eat these words. You don't have to play the PC port, just play whatever version you have and join in.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

benj wrote:15,030.

The 17,000 run was obviously just a fluke, since this is my next best score, and I had to work pretty hard for it.
Neon wrote:you cowardly fucks.
C'mon people, make Neon eat these words. You don't have to play the PC port, just play whatever version you have and join in.

I have the Japanese DC version, but I don't know what color option Survivor mode is.. Probably yellow I think.

Anyways, luring people into competition with 17000 scores is not my idea of competition. I'd like to see some sort of replay to even believe it.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
benj

Post by benj »

Neon and I are playing the US version, which measures depth in feet, not meters, and we're playing survival mode on expert difficulty, so we're starting at a depth of 10,000 ft (2,000 m in JPN/PAL version, I believe). So my best is actually only 7,000 ft, which translates to 1,400 meters. We're not exactly pushing world records here.

And yes, survival mode is the yellow option.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

benj wrote:15,030.
Is the GBC version of Mr. Driller 1 ok? I like that version, but the playfield size is different from other versions, if I rememeber correctly. It might be a bit unfair to compare scores from that one to other versions. It does have survival, though.

oh yeah, I find it interesting how the US Mr. Driller 2 GBA also measures distance in feet. I expected it to be exactly like the European version, since it was very late in being brought to the US and localization of GBA games didn't seem to be Namco of America's first priority.
benj

Post by benj »

I only tried the GBC port in an emulator once, so I'm not too sure about the accuracy of the port. It seemed a bit slow, but that could have been the emu.
Not that it matters, just join in. It's all for fun, anyway.

I'm a bit disappointed with the european PC version of Driller 1, since it measures the depth in feet like the US one. It's not really important, but I've played 2 and G the most, and both use meters, so that feels a bit more natural to me. I prefer the cover art of the US Driller 2 to the european one, though, so I might get it some day just for that.
SAM

Post by SAM »

I couldn't figure out the rule, especial the tricks to play well for Mr. Driller... :?

Could someone explain it to me? :o Thx.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I will have a bash at the 2000m survival mode then. I doubt I could beat your scores because I've never gone past 850 metres in arcade mode on one life.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Rise from your grave!

I watched some superplays of Drill Land on Youtube. Are these bastards using rapidfire or something? I can never achieve that kind of vertical speed.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

iatneH wrote:Are these bastards using rapidfire or something?
Yes. Galford has the autofire settings for the PCB driller games here. My guess is for Drill Land they are using a hori stick with 30hz rapidfire.

Now that I have some rapidfire boards, I'll have to give this a try on my PCBs. I'll also be getting an ultimarc adapter to play GC/Wii on my j-pac so can also try it on Drill Land.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Thanks for the info Dave. Damn it, now I have to find myself a turbofire GameCube stick/pad. I have a digital ASCII PS1 pad with turbo, but it cannot be recognised by my Wii with a controller adaptor unless there is analogue.

2000m Star Driller has been giving me trouble for months, so imagine my shock when I saw some bastard no-miss it in under 9 minutes...
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Another thing worth repeating (which I already said on the first page of this thread), is that a 4-way restrictor on your (sanwa or seimitsu) joystick helps greatly in more accurate drilling, especially at such high speeds with the rapidfire.
undamned

Post by undamned »

Was just doing some light reading about Baraduke on teh wiki and found some interesting Namco family trivia:

"In the Mr. Driller series of games, Kissy [player 1 in Baraduke] is a supporting character under the name, Toby Masuyo (they refer to "Kissy" as being her nickname). She married and divorced Taizo Hori (better known as Dig Dug). They had three children two of which are Susumu Hori (the main character of Mr. Driller) and Ataru Hori."

I have a hard time seeing such cute characters having ugly marital problems.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

Dig Dug is a notorious drunkard.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Yah, you should hear the stupid voiceover he got in the US version of Drill Spirits. Another reason to get the JP version.

The whole family is screwed up. The relationship between Ataru and Taizo is pretty removed too. Though Tobi is quite the MILF.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

undamned wrote:Was just doing some light reading about Baraduke on teh wiki and found some interesting Namco family trivia:

"In the Mr. Driller series of games, Kissy [player 1 in Baraduke] is a supporting character under the name, Toby Masuyo (they refer to "Kissy" as being her nickname). She married and divorced Taizo Hori (better known as Dig Dug). They had three children two of which are Susumu Hori (the main character of Mr. Driller) and Ataru Hori."

-ud
Any chance of what the third Hori child's name is?

In Mr. Driller 2, what's the name of the dog that speaks to Susumu Hori in the opening intro?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
undamned

Post by undamned »

To see the creepiest dig-dug art ever, go here: http://blog.clintrule.com/?p=8
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The innards of that Pooka character would seem pretty realistic if the game was portrayed in that type of detailed realism aesthetics -- something that Namco wouldn't approve of... ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

undamned wrote:To see the creepiest dig-dug art ever, go here: http://blog.clintrule.com/?p=8
-ud
Ew. I never thought I would have to say this, but Megaman and Kirby could use a little wax/shave for their bikini lines.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Do we have a shmups mr driller high score board? I'd like to see how I compete with the other people.

I just got 683,000 on the 1000 metre event on Driller 2.

I can't beat JPJ's score on the 500 metre event because he is obviously faster at drilling than I am.
jpj

Post by jpj »

for the first 300m you wanna be drilling straight through any brick blocks that are in your way. what was my top score, 600k?
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:
undamned wrote:Was just doing some light reading about Baraduke on teh wiki and found some interesting Namco family trivia:

-ud
Any chance of what the third Hori child's name is?

In Mr. Driller 2, what's the name of the dog that speaks to Susumu Hori in the opening intro?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
the dogs name is puchi :wink:

he is a playable character in mr driller g

i have mr driller 2 for GBA and a mr driller g pcb....i just sold my mr driller 2 pcb cuz i havent played it at all since i got g

i recently found out about mr driller a for GBA....its pretty awesome....it has a bunch of exclusive modes.....its has a story mode, mission mode and a grand prix race mode, and a couple other weird ones i think....its cool because you are racing against a bunch of people at once in a series of races......and you can do link races with one cart against a friend

ive been playing it through emulation on my laptop for a couple days....i will definitely be picking this up in the very near future......
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

jpj wrote:for the first 300m you wanna be drilling straight through any brick blocks that are in your way. what was my top score, 600k?
My lowest score on 1000 metres is 658,000 or something like that. My highest is now 689000. Unfortunately not able to do it in one swoop with perfect air bonus yet. On Egypt(500m) I can perfect air bonus and 1 life the game almost everytime but i'm way off your score. I didn't catch the high score on the 500m level because I don't play it anymore.

This game has a weird rhythm where on the first initial stages you have to time your drills slower than when at deeper depths. I feel much more comfortable at 600m + than I do at sub 600 depths. I can probably drill the last 900m about 15 seconds quicker than the first 100m due to this. When watching replays its fast throughout, but I can't manage those kinds of speeds at 100 and 200 depths.
jpj

Post by jpj »

see i'm the opposite, barely touched america, but played the fuck out of india :lol:

nowhere near as fresh as this motherfucker though :o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JELBEfSw ... annel_page
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
brendz

Re: Mr. Driller Great (and the series in general)

Post by brendz »

got into some driller G last nite and had my best space go. 2400+meters 1.56mil. after i died it had a screen come up that said "thank you for playing" and had all the driller characters and some others i didnt know. im curious what prompted this as i couldnt get it to come up again with any other runs. i wish i had my camera as my scores gone as all the hi scores on my board are over 4000 meters fro space(gonna be awhile before i break that). anyone else playin space have anything else to add for tips or weirdness.

also twice on 2 different boards i have got perfect air/no miss on 500m and as i go thru the 500m barrier the game resets, anyone have any thoughts on this.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

i think it means you have put enough high scores on my board :wink:
iatneH

Re:

Post by iatneH »

Dave_K. wrote:Yes. Galford has the autofire settings for the PCB driller games here. My guess is for Drill Land they are using a hori stick with 30hz rapidfire.
I can't find that video anymore, but even with rapidfire, I don't think that fast vertical speed can be reached since the blocks don't clear quickly enough. I'm pretty sure he was using rapidfire plus that speedup item. I still can't clear 2000m Star Driller on defaults (after more than a year on and off) but I was able to do it in a few tries once I applied that speedup item.

Now, can anybody tell me what the requirements are to get the Clear Stamps for all the Special level attractions in Drill Land?
1up

Post by 1up »

Im a fan of puzzle games and the gfx of Mr. Driller appeal to me. Could someone explain the basics to me? Is it just drill as fast as you can, get air containers and dont get squashed?

Any basic tactics to keep in mind to NOT get squashed?

What game is regarded best in the series?

will an octogonal gate, on a 8way stick, compensate for the 4 way if you dont want to open the control panel all the time?
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

mr driller g is the best imo....

and ya...basically go as fast as possible, get all the air and dont die :wink:
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Just thought i'd mention I got 980,000 ish on driller 2 on the 1000 metre level (America).

1 life with all the bonus's, without any autofire hack either.
brendz

Post by brendz »

ive got the 1000 with all air, no miss on g a couple times now @970 000. is there a score board anywhere for it, as some competive play would probably get me in the game more so.

im workin on space now and have gotten 2000+ a few times and got the wacky end screen, id post a pic but is there any easy way to put up images without imageshack linkin?