Best version of the original Gex game?...

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
dave4shmups

Best version of the original Gex game?...

Post by dave4shmups »

Just curious. This is one 2D plaformer that I've wanted to play for a while, but never have. Are there any differences between the Saturn, PS1, and 3DO versions?

Also, according to Gamefaqs, the game was released for the Saturn in Japan. Is this info correct; ie, does anyone know otherwise?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
FRO

Post by FRO »

I thought that Gex was released in the US for Saturn as well...at least I thought I saw it used on the shelf at one point. The only version I've played is the PSX version, and it's quite good. I believe the 3DO was the first system the game was released on, and was supposed to be the 3DO's flag-ship character. Alas, twas not to be.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

FRO wrote:I thought that Gex was released in the US for Saturn as well...at least I thought I saw it used on the shelf at one point. The only version I've played is the PSX version, and it's quite good. I believe the 3DO was the first system the game was released on, and was supposed to be the 3DO's flag-ship character. Alas, twas not to be.
He's looking for games for his Japanese system, which is why he's asking about the Japanese version. Never once did dave4shmups say there isn't a US Saturn version. Sheesh, I wish people would learn to read between the lines.
FRO

Post by FRO »

BrianC - I didn't realize he had a Japanese Saturn. I don't read every thread on this board, so I was unaware of that fact. I'd appreciate a little less sarcasm when there is no need for any.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

FRO wrote:BrianC - I didn't realize he had a Japanese Saturn. I don't read every thread on this board, so I was unaware of that fact. I'd appreciate a little less sarcasm when there is no need for any.
I'm sorry, but I really hate it when people talk like the person they are talking to doesn't know anything. You just assumed that dave4shmups knew nothing about the US version just becuase he said he wanted info on the Japanese version. BTW, I didn't mean what I said as scarasm. I'm just getting tired of people assuming that other people know nothing. Next time you say something similar, I'll just try to pay no attention to it so you want be thinking I'm full of "scarasm".
Last edited by BrianC on Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Do you talk to that mother with that mouth?
Brian

Post by Brian »

Who fights over Gex? Even his creators abandoned that battle long ago.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

What mouth? Every time I try to point out to someone that he's being rude, I keep getting these misunderstandings and stupid arguments. Honestly, do you really think it's polite to assume that someone doesn't know about the US version of a game just becuase he mentions the Japanese version of the game, reguardless of whether you knew he had the Japanese system or not? Sheesh, lets just get back to Gex and stop the stupidity once and for all.
FRO

Post by FRO »

I apologize, I mistook your comment for sarcasm. Dave, being the info junkie that he is :wink: may have known about the US version, so I probably didn't need to post that. However, I thought I'd throw it in just in case he was interested or didn't know. Too much information is usually better than none at all, I say.

Anyway, the game creators abandoned the argument over which port was superior - is that what you meant there? I personally think it's a fine game.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

lol. I'm not Brian. I have been calling my self BrianC at a ton of places, but I'm considering changing my nick here. Sorry about my previous posts. I should have just not posted them. I wanted to try a version of Gex, but I lost interest with other games out. The N64 Gex was a disappointment. I did like what I played of the 3DO one, though. I heard that the Saturn and Playstation versions were supposed to be improved over the 3DO version. I'm not sure if it's true since it was from the creators of the game, though.
Kakizaki

Post by Kakizaki »

What mouth? Every time I try to point out to someone that he's being rude, I keep getting these misunderstandings and stupid arguments. Honestly, do you really think it's polite to assume that someone doesn't know about the US version of a game just becuase he mentions the Japanese version of the game, reguardless of whether you knew he had the Japanese system or not? Sheesh, lets just get back to Gex and stop the stupidity once and for all.
:roll: Sadly I am seeing this more and more on this board. Seriously man, chill out. I read FRO's first reply on this thread a few times over, and it really doesn't seem to harbor any ill will -- in fact he seemed to be much more polite than many people are when they reply to Dave4's plethora of questions. Try not to read too much into things. :wink:
Neon

Post by Neon »

To quote twitchdoctor.

Would that be rude? I'm sorry :twisted:

(lighten up kids)
OmegaFlareX

Re: Best version of the original Gex game?...

Post by OmegaFlareX »

dave4shmups wrote:Also, according to Gamefaqs, the game was released for the Saturn in Japan.
Does the cart slot in your Saturn work? ST-Keys are $10 new (and probably less than that on ebay). If you can't find the JP version, get the US one and a ST-Key.

And to everyone else above: shut the fuck up.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

I have a Japanese Saturn-you mean that an ST-Key will allow me to play US games on my Japanese Saturn?? I thought the device only worked in the reverse manner. :?
Farewell to hollow words
FRO

Post by FRO »

Kakizaki - thanks for the kind words. :)

dave4shmups - I'm not sure if the ST-Key works in reverse, but I'm pretty certain that an Action Replay 4-in-1 does. I have one for my US Saturn and absolutely love it. One of the best $35 investments I ever made, gaming-wise.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Excellent, thanks FRO! If it does work in reverse, then I'm gettin' the US versions of Rayman, Gex, Area 51, Shinobi Legions...AND the Sega Ages compilation disc; that one should save me some money instead of buying all the Jap. Ages releases seperately.
Farewell to hollow words
FRO

Post by FRO »

Definitely go for Shinobi Legions - if you like Shinobi III on Genesis, you won't be disappointed.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

The blurb for the Action Replay (at least where I've seen it) says that it's "compatible with all system regions," so I'd guess that means that it'd work if you wanted to play a US game on a Japanese console. I've heard the same claim made of the ST Key as well, though I can't confirm it.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Rayman is beautiful. You'll love it. However, Shinobi Legions falls short of the Shinobi legacy. The digital graphics make the game seem... odd. And the scrolling will give you headaches when it jerks from left to right suddenly. It's not a bad game per se, but it's just somewhat unpolished.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Specineff - I have to respectfully disagree. Rayman was WAY too frustrating for me - I sold the PSX game (I've only ever sold off 3 or 4 games in my life) because I just got too frustrated with it.

Yes, the digitized characters make the game seem somewhat odd as compared to the other Shinobi games, but it's a logical progression. The thing that ties the series together is the "alien" stage of Shinobi III where the little purple brain guys bust out of the glass tubes, in the same fashion that the green wigned aliens bust out of canisters in Shinobi Legions. Also, the ultra-cheesy FMV sequences in between levels are worth the price of admission alone!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I have the PC Rayman. I love the game, but the game is extremely hard at points. If you want an extremely challenging game, I recommend it, but it's not for everyone. From what I heard the PSX, GBA, PC, and Saturn ones are the same, but the Jaguar and GBC versions are a bit different.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

"The blurb for the Action Replay (at least where I've seen it) says that it's "compatible with all system regions," so I'd guess that means that it'd work if you wanted to play a US game on a Japanese console. I've heard the same claim made of the ST Key as well, though I can't confirm it."

Well then, I may as well go for the Action Replay, since I'll need it's RAM to play Metal Slug 1 anyway.

I LOVE the original Rayman; I played the PSX version at a local game store and thought it was great! Beautiful 2D graphics.

How are Rayman 2 and 3, BTW? I own a DC, and I've read that the DC has the best port of Rayman 2.
Farewell to hollow words
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

dave4shmups wrote:"The blurb for the Action Replay (at least where I've seen it) says that it's "compatible with all system regions," so I'd guess that means that it'd work if you wanted to play a US game on a Japanese console. I've heard the same claim made of the ST Key as well, though I can't confirm it."

Well then, I may as well go for the Action Replay, since I'll need it's RAM to play Metal Slug 1 anyway.

I LOVE the original Rayman; I played the PSX version at a local game store and thought it was great! Beautiful 2D graphics.

How are Rayman 2 and 3, BTW? I own a DC, and I've read that the DC has the best port of Rayman 2.
I only have the PSX Rayman 2, but I love what I have played. It really does play like a 3D version of Rayman and many of the play mechanics of the original are still intact. I heard that the DC one is better and has better graphics, though. I haven't played Rayman 3, but most reviews I read said that it's not as good as Rayman 2.
dementia

Post by dementia »

The I'm almost positive 3DO version is the only version of Gex in which you can save. The Saturn And PS1 versions only allow Passwords.

It's been a while since I played them, but I own the 3DO version and I distictly remember the 3DO version allowed internal data save and the PS1 version had passwords.

Another good 2D platformer on 3DO was Soccer Kid. It looked much better than the GBA and Atari Jaguar conversions.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Soccer Kid is awesome on Amiga (Which I believe it was originally released) . I've heard once of a PSX port, but I think that's not true.

And I want to second that Rayman is too frustating. It's a fine, nice game , but it indeed gets too hard at certain points, to the point of being frustating indeed.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

How's Mr. Bones for the Saturn? Sounds pretty fun from reviews I've read.
Farewell to hollow words
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I own it, but haven't played it too much, since most of my Saturn time is spent shmupping...the game has a nice atmosphere about it, an Addams Family-esque mix of creepiness and humor, and the animation for the skeleton character is cool to look at. The thing's pretty tough for a platformer though, and the damage system can be frustrating: as you lose energy, it's tougher to keep your bones attached together, and as you jump around stuff will start popping off and you'll hafta backtrack to get it, and in your weakened state you're more likely to be nailed for good by an enemy. If you can find it cheap it's worth a try, but don't expect perfection.
jp

Post by jp »

dave4shmups wrote:How's Mr. Bones for the Saturn? Sounds pretty fun from reviews I've read.

Mr. Bones is OK, but it has very clunky controls and its nothing but a bunch of poorly done mini-games spread out over 2 discs. If you find it for $10 or less (which you shouldn't have any trouble doing) its worth it just for shits and giggles. Otherwise, it was pretty damn mediocre/bleh.

As for the best version of Gex, I believe the 3DO scores that crown.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

JP, do you know for certain if either the ST-Key or the Action Replay will let you play American games on a Japanese Saturn?
Farewell to hollow words
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Hey.. I think it does. I set my modded Saturn to Japanese mode, put an ST-Key on it, and played Panzer Dragoon just to test it. Still, it was so long ago, that you shouldn't take my word for it.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.