The History of GameFan

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
LoneSage

The History of GameFan

Post by LoneSage »

While searching for info on the "Jap bastards" GameFan incident I came across this 37 page thread...which includes a post by a GameFan editor on the first page, there's a possibility there's more on the other 36 pages.

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/show ... hp?t=33808

I don't know if Shito's project is finished yet, but here's what he's got done so far:

http://bible.morningmayo.com/index.php/GameFan#History

Interesting lil page, talks about the downfall of GameFan too.

And if you're too lazy to read through that, here's a large image of the "Jap bastards" page incident:

http://bible.morningmayo.com/index.php/ ... stards.jpg

That is freakin insane...that guy had to be stoned, seriously. Everyone knows GameFan had some bad spelling errors, but damn..check out this snippet:

"Th e sound track don't suck neither, wow! bonus shit or what I mean what the hell do those guys at Namco smoke anyway. (wish I had some)"

Nice. It's actually kinda funny now. Just wait til you read his racial slur.

Ha, I did have a few issues of GameFan..I know the Collector's Lair has a load of em, I wouldn't mind checking it out.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

I'm confused here.
The guys writing a preview for Ace Combat by Namco in a "Sports" section in a videgame mag?
I mean, he's talking about Ace Combat, but all I see are reviews and screenshots of some collage football game for the Sega CD?

He also repeats himself at least twice in the same paragraph, saying almost the same thing. (I got a bad case of deja-vu)

He refers to himself as "white trash" from Southern California, so I would take the "Jap Bastards" comments with a grain of salt.
This guy seems like a total dork to me...even if he was just joking around.
How old was this guy at the time...15!?
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

From http://bible.morningmayo.com/index.php/Jap_Bastards

Unfortunately, we can't write this off as a simple case of sabotage. The text was the result of somebody inside of the company - David White, then Executive Producer at GameFan. The text was never meant to be seen: it was actually nothing more than a very poor choice for filler text, text that is put into a magazine layout before the actual text is ready to help plan the details of the layout.

I realize a lot of people here liked GameFan because they're the only magazine that would cover shumps, but imo the mag was only good for its screenshots. Other than that, the magazine was just an absolute rag. The reviewers were typically fuckjobs, and it blows my mind they let that retard Nick Rox work there as long as they did.

A lot of people like to quote his Saturn review of Street Fighter Alpha or his review of Lunar 2 on SegaCD, but the guy was a neverending stream of shitty reviews and bad info. The magazine as a whole was. Hell, the layout of the magazine was garbage, too.

But yea, nice screenshots.
marcus12024

Post by marcus12024 »

The screenshots were indeed quite nice. I remember when I first saw the preview of Resident Evil for PSX in GF. At the time there was very little 3D games, and the screens they had made this game look great. Actually, it may have been for "Biohazard", but you get the point.

There really doesn't seem to be much need for game magazines these days, what with the numerous gaming websites out there.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote: I mean, he's talking about Ace Combat, but all I see are reviews and screenshots of some collage football game for the Sega CD?
Probably because he was high or something.
Kakizaki

Post by Kakizaki »

Shoot, I was going to post that thread a while back, but I assumed most of you would probably be aware of it already -- it seriously is one of the best threads I have read in a very , very long time.
Strychnine

Post by Strychnine »

Wow...reading that was actually physically painful. That guy is...how you say...retarded. Sadly, I don't think many videogame publications have gotten much better (*coughgamefancough*) - Spell Check just has expanded its functionality.

I'm actually kind of sad that I looked at that link - remembering Gamefan through the rosy lenses of nostalgia was much nice than the cold reality that it was actually written by grade schoolers.
The white clouds floating on the great blue sky
And the boiling red blood shed in fierce gaming
Those who give up halfway through
Their battered bodies will never forget!

Segata Sanshiro, Segata Sanshiro! Sega Saturn... shiro!
Super Mega C

Post by Super Mega C »

Great links! Thanks, I've been wondering what was going on at gamefan all those years.
Button masher extrordinaire
"and on the eighth day, he stopped resting"
Super Mega C

Post by Super Mega C »

LoneSage wrote:
TWITCHDOCTOR wrote: I mean, he's talking about Ace Combat, but all I see are reviews and screenshots of some collage football game for the Sega CD?
Probably because he was high or something.
That stuff was supposed to be just filler text while they worked on the layout. It was latter meant to be replaced by the actual review before the mag hit the streets, suposedly....
Button masher extrordinaire
"and on the eighth day, he stopped resting"