New Fist of the North Star game

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
LoneSage

New Fist of the North Star game

Post by LoneSage »

It's for the DS, and you won't believe what it is..

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0502/game050221g.shtml

It's a slot machine game, and I can only guess it plays just a little like the Saturn game.

lolz, if there was ever a game I'd want to buy for the DS, it'd be this one..

No, seriously. My fanboyism for that series is too great. I wish Pioneer/Geneon would finish the original series..they stopped after the second saga I think :(
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

How's the Saturn Fist Of The North Star? I heard that the PS2 remake plays a lot like NES Kung Fu.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
llaoyllakcuf

Post by llaoyllakcuf »

I still think the Hokuto No Ken arcade game is the best one
(albeit tiresome to play after a while).
Reiki

Post by Reiki »

I love Hokuto no Ken, the reason I bought a DS was the slim chance that this would get a release outside of Japan. Forget Castlevania, Wario Ware: Touched, Catch! Touch! Yoshi and all the other DS games, I just want FOTNS.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

What's the name of the Saturn Fist of the North Star game? I can't find it on Gamefaqs.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Fist of the North Star = Hokuto no Ken
It'd behoove you to remember both the JP name and US mistranslation since they're about equal in usage popularity.

Here's what I had to say about the PS version of the Saturn game (not the later beat-em-up), which I hear to be identical:

I've tried the menu-based one on the PS, the one where you hold down the button for a length of time to charge up your attack. You can also heal or defend to charge up your strength but in the end, it's all menu-based where stronger attacks win against the opponent's weaker attacks. I can't remember if the inbetween sequences were anime or in-game visuals but the whole thing was REALLY boring and the CPU was cheap as hell, esp. the last boss. This one has an original story with cheap knockoffs that look exactly like characters in the original story.

Seriously, it's a piece of crap that has minimal playability. Even the SFC fighters were more fun and they had some of the worst controls of any fighter. I'd say the MD sidescroller (known in the US as Last Battle) was the best of the Hokuto no Ken games although it's by no means excellent either.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Last Battle (US) sucks ass. I really hate that game.

The NES Fist of the North Star is the best of the US-released FOTNS games (heads actually explode, kickass!), though I have yet to play Black Belt on the SMS.

The arcade FOTNS Punchmania games are really corny because of the voice, but they only adds to the entertainment...fun games, but the gloves at my arcade were really, really nasty.

The Saturn game really sucks, I play it only for the FOTNS factor. I really want to play the PS1 beat em up.

And dave, Ganelon answered your question: it's called Hokuto no Ken on the Saturn. Just if you didn't know what he meant ;)
greg

Post by greg »

The only Hokuto no Ken arcade game I've seen was a gimmick game that came out in Japanese game centers a few years back. You have to punch these targets as hard and as fast as you could to make the enemy's head on the screen explode. I never bothered playing it myself. I was too embarassed to play a game like that...

Is that what you were talking about, llaoyllakcuf?
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

greg wrote:The only Hokuto no Ken arcade game I've seen was a gimmick game that came out in Japanese game centers a few years back. You have to punch these targets as hard and as fast as you could to make the enemy's head on the screen explode. I never bothered playing it myself. I was too embarassed to play a game like that...

Is that what you were talking about, llaoyllakcuf?
Yup, that's the one. It came out to America, too.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?let ... me_id=9154

Too bad those gloves at my arcade were rancid...whenever I play it now I just use my fists. Nothin' like a lil knuckle scrapping!
landshark

Post by landshark »

WTF is a slot machine game?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

landshark wrote:WTF is a slot machine game?
Just what it sounds like. You know, a video adaption of those machines with the levers where you try to get three of the same thing in a row.
llaoyllakcuf

Post by llaoyllakcuf »

greg wrote:Is that what you were talking about, llaoyllakcuf?
Indeed it was.

I too, saw it in a Jpn. arcade when I visited back in '00.

It is kinda goofy to play, but I really didn't mind, being the fan that I am :)
Strychnine

Post by Strychnine »

BrianC wrote:
Just what it sounds like. You know, a video adaption of those machines with the levers where you try to get three of the same thing in a row.
Yes, you can also say " A VIRTUAL REPRESENTATION OF A WASTE OF YOUR LIFE!" Honestly....can you really claim superiority over the rat in so many psychology experiments after being slave to the lever for who knows how long?
The white clouds floating on the great blue sky
And the boiling red blood shed in fierce gaming
Those who give up halfway through
Their battered bodies will never forget!

Segata Sanshiro, Segata Sanshiro! Sega Saturn... shiro!
landshark

Post by landshark »

BrianC wrote:
Yuck - I was hoping it wasn't what it sounded like.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

@ Lonesage: Black belt sucks. It has a weird collission scheme in which your attacks only affect the first sprite your character comes in contact with. For example, if you are punching an enemy, and another comes right behind him, the hit won't count for the second enemy even though he's in actual contact with your character's punch or kick. Compare this to Capcom's beat-em ups. You can hit 1257 characters if they are all within range, with just one punch.

Yeah, I know RL is not like that. But who wants to get gang banged by a bunch of sprites?
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

My family actually has a Sammy Slot Machine (not the FotS one). It's a cool thing to play around with, but it's not exactly the type of thing I want to see in a video game.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

LoneSage wrote:The NES Fist of the North Star is the best of the US-released FOTNS games (heads actually explode, kickass!), though I have yet to play Black Belt on the SMS.
But it's monotonous as hell...
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Yeah, I know I definitely stand alone on liking the NES game, but to me, seeing a bunch of the original characters and taking em downtown in digital form is entertainment to me.